Quantcast

Can opener preference

What's your can opener preference?

• Total voters

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Maybe it's cuz I've never used a really good electric, but I wind up twisting the friggin' can -- maybe impatient? -- in manually opening the focker anyways.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Maybe it's cuz I've never used a really good electric, but I wind up twisting the friggin' can -- maybe impatient? -- in manually opening the focker anyways.
Our manual one sucks but it's doesn't suck nearly as much as our electric one does. It takes me longer to get the focking electric one to hook onto the can than it does to just open the can with the manual one. Wife's cousin has a manual Kitchen Aid one that just cuts through cans like it's warm butter. I need me one of those. Why is Kitchen Aid stuff so damn good?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a pretty nice manual one. Might be Kitchen Aid, I dunno. I know it was about 7 bucks or so and I love it. works well..

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Manual. Cheap two buck one that sits in my drawer. Humans are getting lazy enough without needing electric can openers....
Its like running up the stairs beside the escalater. You do it because they are there.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Electric can openers are in the same league as pre-shredded cheese.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
electrics are nice, but they have become too complicated...i mean, its a f-ing can....how long does a hand crank model take to open it? by the time you get the electric one out of where it is and plug it in, then align the can on the unit, you would be done w/ a hand crank model.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Manual all the way... Why waste the space on your counters.

I can see how my wife (or yours for that matter) might like the electric since they have less hand strength though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Electric can openers are in the same league as pre-shredded cheese.
No, canned food is like bagged shredded cheese. An electric can opener is like using power scissors to open a bag of shredded cheese.

I think the solution is to have all canned food in a pressurized nozzle type container like EZ cheese.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Electric can openers are silly and from what I've seen they all get pretty nasty after a while. Manuals take up less space and are easy to clean. I try to just say no to single purpose appliances.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
The swing away is what I have. only, mines red, cause red rules.

There have been some very good points made in this thread.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I prefer manual, but will use electric if that's all that i have access to.

However, i prefer above all the ones that don't leave sharp edges - the newer designs...

One caveat, though is that they don't last as long as the conventional ones [blade dulls].

But they're a hell of a lot cleaner [no food particles in the blade area]

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I prefer manual, but will use electric if that's all that i have access to.

However, i prefer above all the ones that don't leave sharp edges - the newer designs...

One caveat, though is that they don't last as long as the conventional ones [blade dulls].

But they're a hell of a lot cleaner [no food particles in the blade area]

Yeah that's the type I have.... So much cleaner the way it doesn't come into contact with the food. :)