Quantcast

Can someone recommend a pedal for me?

jpz

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
I'm seeking help in finding a new pair of pedals for my G Fisher Tassajara bike.. I just got into riding about a week ago after taking about 10 years off. I have no clue what the reliable and comfortable brands are. From what i've read and heard, Shimanu and Crank Bros are pretty decent brands.

My riding consists of some basic fireroads and single tracks right now, nothing too techinical at all. I'm not doing drops or dirt jumping or DH at all (yet). I'm looking for a pedal I can clip into for when i'm riding an incline, but i'd like to "unclip" when i'm coming back down so I can take my feet off the pedals and put a foot down on sharp turns and what not. I'd also like something that I can wear regular shoes for when i'm riding to the store or to work..

Can anyone suggest something for me?

Thanks!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
time z pedals. crank bros mallets. i'm not down with the current shimano nomenclature but a spd pedal with a cage (they used to be red -- 535s? :D) would work, too.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Time Z retention bars are too high for riding with a non spd shoe. I looked at the Crank Bros and it seems to be the same.

Shimano M545s I think are the ones you're looking for, they'll let you ride with a non SPD shoe with a little bump in the middle where the clippy thingy is, but you should be fine for just riding to the store or what not.

jpz

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
I actually ended up picking up the shimano m424's today.. I couldn't find anyplace that had the mallet C's, and these pedals were $60 compared to $100 for the mallet C.. I'll ride them for a bit and see how I like them. They feel fine if i'm wearing my normal shoes and they're pretty simple to clip in and out of..

Ended up being a toss up between the m545's and m424's.. I'm too new to tell the difference between the two, but they looked identical to me except the 545's appear to be more sturdy, but since i won't be doing any drops or hardcore trails until i progress more, i figure i didn't need to spend the extra $40.

Thanks for the reccomendations. If I end up not being happy with these, then i'll hit up a pair of mallet c's.

thanks again.

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
I don't want to start another thread, so I'll just post it up here. I'm looking for some good platform pedals that won't put to much of a hurt on my wallet, right now. The ones that came on my Trek 4300 just aren't cutting it.

I do a lot of XC and street riding, but I still want to stick with platforms. Any ideas? Thanks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
smash-itup said:
wait until july and get these

www.atomlab.com/home.html

go to products then find the quickstep pedal
Wow those are super nice! Wonder how the spring mechanism will respond to mud, just wondering, but possible problems with it sticking open or shut?...
real question is how much dough, and can they take a beating........

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Advice to the newbies: Don't ever buy atomlab pedals or rims. The pedal bearings are notoriously bad, and the rims are made of low-grade butter.

Edit: The stems are OK. I got one because I needed a low stack height DH stem.

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
MikeD said:
Advice to the newbies: Don't ever buy atomlab pedals or rims. The pedal bearings are notoriously bad, and the rims are made of low-grade butter.

Edit: The stems are OK. I got one because I needed a low stack height DH stem.
what are some good platform pedals for a decent price then?

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but you can usually find a pair of Azonic A-frames for 40-50 bucks. I've heard of them blowing up, but I've been riding on them for well over a year (given that I am only about 135 lbs.). They the width feels just about perfect to me and they grip well. Just my $.02

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
i can recomend a good reliable pedal.. the ones i am selling lol.. shimano 747 an older pedal but they spin great are free of dirt and you can use the money you save for nice shoes.. egg beaters are great at first but require repetitive maintence..

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
CrazyGambit said:
i can recomend a good reliable pedal.. the ones i am selling lol.. shimano 747 an older pedal but they spin great are free of dirt and you can use the money you save for nice shoes.. egg beaters are great at first but require repetitive maintence..

What kind of maintenance. I just picked up a used set. They work great so far.

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
JSB said:
What kind of maintenance. I just picked up a used set. They work great so far.
nothing serious. just basic rebuilds and bushing wear.cleats can wear fast as well. also from what i have heard but never experienced shoes wearing out faster..( yet i can not speak of this first hand) Great in the slop though.. Good pedals just require up keep more than other spds..

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
Blueadder I reciently got a set of DMR V8's I love them, a bit sharp, lol and strong, grippy, the odd crash off a rock, and these things take it. Cost me about 60, but all rebuildable, and already strong and everyonce a while re-grease throught the grease port.

coppied from http://www.dmrbikes.com/products/v8.html
""
V8 Pedal

Without doubt the V8 pedals has been consistemently for several years now the Uk’s best selling flat pedal. The V8’s shares its body with its bigger brother the V12 & the V12 Magnesium. Now in its second generation, the V8 has improved & evolved into a solid product with great aesthectics & reliable internals.

- Runs on precision ground loose ball bearings
- With grease port & ‘V-Lube’ grease syringe included in the box
- Replaceable screw in studs
- Fully rebuidable – all spares are available
- Available in 9/16” (MTB) or 1/2" (BMX) threads
""

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CrazyGambit said:
egg beaters are great at first but require repetitive maintence..
no, no they don't. In fact they require less maintenance then pretty much any other clipless pedal on the market. I think you are highly confused.

;QUOTE=CRAZYGAMBIT]nothing serious. just basic rebuilds and bushing wear.cleats can wear fast as well. also from what i have heard but never experienced shoes wearing out faster..( yet i can not speak of this first hand) Great in the slop though.. Good pedals just require up keep more than other spds..[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what the heck you are talking about. They require MUCH LESS maintenance then any other spd pedal on the market. Cleats on these wear slightly faster as they are made of brass, this is so the cleat wears and not the pedal wings.

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
Transcend said:
no, no they don't. In fact they require less maintenance then pretty much any other clipless pedal on the market. I think you are highly confused.

;QUOTE=CRAZYGAMBIT]nothing serious. just basic rebuilds and bushing wear.cleats can wear fast as well. also from what i have heard but never experienced shoes wearing out faster..( yet i can not speak of this first hand) Great in the slop though.. Good pedals just require up keep more than other spds..
I am not sure what the heck you are talking about. They require MUCH LESS maintenance then any other spd pedal on the market. Cleats on these wear slightly faster as they are made of brass, this is so the cleat wears and not the pedal wings.[/QUOTE]
Well the 2002 set i had required repairs more often than other spds i had owned in the past. others i talked to had had the same problems.. Maybe the current model is better than the 02 was..

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
If you go Shimano, I would get the plastic cage platform. The rest of the pedal will break before the cage does. I would also recomend a shoe with a smooth sole. They work very well with cage-style clipless pedals.

Liquid said:
Blueadder I reciently got a set of DMR V8's I love them, a bit sharp, lol and strong, grippy, the odd crash off a rock, and these things take it. Cost me about 60, but all rebuildable, and already strong and everyonce a while re-grease throught the grease port.

coppied from http://www.dmrbikes.com/products/v8.html
""
V8 Pedal

Without doubt the V8 pedals has been consistemently for several years now the Uk’s best selling flat pedal. The V8’s shares its body with its bigger brother the V12 & the V12 Magnesium. Now in its second generation, the V8 has improved & evolved into a solid product with great aesthectics & reliable internals.

- Runs on precision ground loose ball bearings
- With grease port & ‘V-Lube’ grease syringe included in the box
- Replaceable screw in studs
- Fully rebuidable – all spares are available
- Available in 9/16” (MTB) or 1/2" (BMX) threads
""
thought that aswell, but, i've just taken mine back as the bearings seemed f*cked allmost straight off out of the box, i lubed them up and still the same! [4 times in as meny weeks]
'fully rebuildable' doesn't include the bearings, you have to get V8's bigger brother the V12 for that i think. i might of just got a bad set but for the price i was hoping for better, gone back to my cheap set which still work great after years of use

Liquid

Chimp
Apr 5, 2004
Canada
hay UltraViolet that really sucks to hear about your pedals I hope they sort it out for you, I have had luck with mine, but ill keep an eye on them. Also the V12's are a lot more money so that sucks
peace