Quantcast

Can someone stop Mike Levy writing brake articles?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
They are terrible, but impressively, each one more terrible than the last.

Levy's most recent work is a complete abortion of misinformation - combining data from different testers about brakes he evidently hasn't spent much time with himself, while applying classic LEVY-smoothing™ journalism to ensure that all products appear equally rated, since pinkbike shouldn't dare mark a single product the winner.

levy.jpg

I have created a quick terminology disambiguation scheme to dissect his work:
  • "Unique ergonomics" = terrible lever design
  • "Amazing modulation" = terrible stopping power
  • "Parts easy to find" = fails easily and needs parts
  • "Service might be challenging" = I never worked on this brake myself
  • "Proven to be reliable" = I used these brakes for six months
  • "Some riders love immediate power" = some riders like brakes that work
I hope this helps future readers.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Is it true that the magura brakes use different size pads in the front and rear caliper?
"MAGURA’s new defiition (sp) of trail braking performance – 4 front pistons for maximum braking power, 2 rear pistons for perfect modulation."

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I stopped taking it seriously when he had nice things to say about codes, especially regarding reliability.
My first gen Codes were the worst brakes I've ever had.
But then I'm also still rocking a 7 year old set of Elixir CR Mag's with thousands of miles on them with no issues. Whereas I know lots have had Elixir issues.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have created a quick terminology disambiguation scheme to dissect his work:
  • "Unique ergonomics" = terrible lever design
  • "Amazing modulation" = terrible stopping power
  • "Parts easy to find" = fails easily and needs parts
  • "Service might be challenging" = I never worked on this brake myself
  • "Proven to be reliable" = I used these brakes for six months
  • "Some riders love immediate power" = some riders like brakes that work
I hope this helps future readers.
Black helicopters have been dispatched to your location.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pinkbike deserve to get roasted for that article. What kind of content vacuum generates a summary of recent brake reviews, wrapped up as a shootout/comparison that doesn't include V4s or E4s?

"In summary, no one was bad. Some brakes require more hand force to stop you, but we'll give them modulation as a positive. The Saints are powerful but occasionally go to the bar and fail to slow you down at all so they lose a point. The Trickstuffs broke a rotor and leaked, but what do you expect for a measly $900 brake set"

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Pinkbike deserve to get roasted for that article. What kind of content vacuum generates a summary of recent brake reviews, wrapped up as a shootout/comparison that doesn't include V4s or E4s?

"In summary, no one was bad. Some brakes require more hand force to stop you, but we'll give them modulation as a positive. The Saints are powerful but occasionally go to the bar and fail to slow you down at all so they lose a point. The Trickstuffs broke a rotor and leaked, but what do you expect for a measly $900 brake set"
That is not even an article, just a sum up of previous "reviews" with a conclusion to buy mor SRAM POS™ stuff.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I saw that piece of Journlevinism™ and thought of bringing it to the :monkey: for discussion, but gave it a second thought and decided you guys deserved better.

The way he washes out the Shimano issues makes me think he has been involved in drug lords legal defense at some point in his past life.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I found a simple solution. I quit wasting my time there. Usually all the content worth a read/view pops up here sooner or later.
Therefore hooray to all of you :monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Except it the people writing the article

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Don't think I've ever read a review of a brake.
Strangely I'm with Gary on this. While I've read a few they all have been horrible since magazines and sites don't want to be overly negative in fear of loosing advertisers. Brakes are one of the few parts in bikes that can still be completely garbage so we get shitty articles like this. No information, just walking around the issues each model has.

@Udi I can hook you up with some art galery people. My friend works for someone so if you want to do more we can easily do a "Bike part reviews as a metaphor for late capitalism" seriesI can hook you up

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
one of his return articles included him talking about how bad parking brian isn't actually a bad guy
Some part of me is wondering if this is:
1. Confession-assigned penance.
2. A big joke that only he is in on.
3. An indication of instability.
4. All of the above.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some part of me is wondering if this is:
1. Confession-assigned penance.
2. A big joke that only he is in on.
3. An indication of instability.
4. All of the above.
I think he's just seeing how badly he can phone in it while still seeing traffic.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
TR fell off a long time ago. His return has doubled down on that.
Spot on.
I honestly disagree with as many of his articles as I agree with, really just a lot of ranting that isn't always accurate. I was sad to see him have a stab at RC's tube/tubeless "thought" article (about how it's the main area we still need to improve), it was a really valid point in my book.

$900 is kinda a lot of money for something that doesn't work
I think toodles is just mad he bought hopes instead of trickstuffs. Both v good in my limited experience.

The ones Levy mentioned were a pre-production set and thus not the fairest commentary IMO.
They are a very well thought out brake and address a lot of problems others don't.

FYI they don't include rotors anyway so it's a null point (hate if you will, the $$ is in the brake).

Brakes are one of the few parts in bikes that can still be completely garbage so we get shitty articles like this. No information, just walking around the issues each model has.
Very true, but then also illustrates the sad fact that "reviews" in general are useless, unless every product is already really good (eg. most suspension now), in which case it doesn't really matter what you choose anyway.
Interesting point anyway.