Quantcast

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/calif-school-orders-boy-to-remove-american-flag-from-bike/

Cody Alicea, 13, likes to fly a small American flag on his bike in honor of veterans such as his grandfather, Robert. He’s been doing it for two months. But now, the school he attends has ordered him to remove the flag citing “racial tensions.”
“Our Hispanic, you know, kids will, you know, bring their Mexican flags and they’ll display it, and then of course the kids would do the American flag situation, and it does cause kind of a racial tension which we don’t really want,” Parraz said. “We want them to appreciate the cultures.”

He explained that some Hispanic students got out of hand with their own flag flying on Cinco de Mayo.
i'm sorry but eff California and eff anyone who is offended by the american flag being flown ANYWHERE in this country. and eff all of you who say "it's just a piece of cloth".....

yes, we should respect all cultures that make this country what it is but dammit...those cultures come together UNDER one flag. we are not the fugging united nations..we are The United States of America and we have one flag to represent us all. I am so beyond this PC BS...and this is how rome falls.

is it bad that i am very surprised that no violence has come out of this? my wife mistakenly thought that this incident happened here in NC when she heard it on the news...talk about a different outcome if a middle school kid here was told that he can't fly the flag for fear of offending other cultures. holy hell...you'd have every parent in the county knocking down the door of the school administrator that dared propose such a preposterous idea. offended by the flag that symbolizes the very idea that allows any culture to thrive here?!

and eff you if you think i'm over reacting....i've officially crossed over to the hardline "with us or against us" stance.

holy crap that pissed me off.

UPDATE:
The school has now responded. It says the boy was forced to remove the flag out of safety concerns resulting from threats made against him, but will now allow him to resume his flag flying.
damn skippy...i don't remember CA being that pvssified when i lived there but if a kid was assaulted for flying the american flag in honor of the veterans in his family here....i'm pretty sure the outcome would be drastically different. :rant:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Really Manimal, really? You sound like the goons you photograph at drag boat races.

Maybe some good old fashion American Flag Boobs will cheer your up?

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Really Manimal, really? You sound like the goons you photograph at drag boat races.
i'm starting to think that they may be on to something.

why are we worrying about the kid flying the flag and not the thugs threatening him for flying the flag? that's like putting cat litter on an oil stain in your garage instead of fixing the oil leak on your car. why was the school's first move to squash his 1st amendment right instead of spearheading the real problem? administrators are such spineless cowards and anyone who sees this as a random occurrence and not the symptom of a much bigger problem is either an idiot, blind, or simply doesn't appreciate what we have here.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Manimal, I am a total lefty and I agree with you 100%. It's a sad day when a kid can't show pride in this country. Just because there are two sides to an issue doesn't mean they are both valid. The administrators decision is a cop out. (no pun intended) If it were me the conversation would be simple.

"Why is it OK to fly an American flag yet a Mexican flag is seen as divisive?"

"Cause you're in America, son."

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Fact: you do not have constitutionally protected rights at a school. Deal with it.
correct..but choosing which groups can and cannot display their flag is, by it's very definition, discrimination and that is protected on school grounds.

“Our Hispanic, you know, kids will, you know, bring their Mexican flags and they’ll display it, and then of course the kids would do the American flag situation, and it does cause kind of a racial tension which we don’t really want,” Parraz said. “We want them to appreciate the cultures.”
so at what point did this administrator tell the mexican kids that they couldn't fly their flag?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
-Theodore Roosevelt

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
What's with all of the mexicans & puerto ricans that feel the need to fly those flags from their rear view mirrors. If they love Mexico so much, WTF are they doing here?!? No other group seems to act this way, it's like they move to the USA & have no respect for the culture here.

I personally feel that if someone wants to fly another countries' flag, they should go, and stay there.

We went from melting pot to melted crap. Fvcking Liberals with the "we should celebrate every other cultures" ****. Look where it's gotten us!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I personally feel that if someone wants to fly another countries' flag, they should go, and stay there.

We went from melting pot to melted crap. Fvcking Liberals with the "we should celebrate every other cultures" ****. Look where it's gotten us!
Wow...

You know, no matter how many people like you I see, somehow, it still surprises me every time.

I guess there's just a part of me that is still convinced most people are generally intelligent, thoughtful, tolerant and reasonable.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
I guess there's just a part of me that is still convinced most people are generally intelligent, thoughtful, tolerant and reasonable.

that last part only applies so long as we are all happy and satiated with every thing we need to survive. remove one slice of the survival pie chart and humanity turns into the wild kingdom. i'm convinced that most people are generally intelligent, thoughtful, tolerant, and reasonable only because they can be in our society.

dante:Although, at least we can all agree that the US flag has never, ever been used as a symbol of racial hatred.
sure, it's been used as a symbol of racial hatred but so has the mex flag. but the problem here is that this simple kid was just flying the flag in remembrance of his grandfather, a veteran. if a group of people get pissed at that they can GTFO. this is still AMERICA is it not...the AMERICAN flag still trumps all others on this soil by default. i'll say it again....."with us, or against us" there is no in-between.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
i'm starting to think that they may be on to something.

why are we worrying about the kid flying the flag and not the thugs threatening him for flying the flag? that's like putting cat litter on an oil stain in your garage instead of fixing the oil leak on your car. why was the school's first move to squash his 1st amendment right instead of spearheading the real problem? administrators are such spineless cowards and anyone who sees this as a random occurrence and not the symptom of a much bigger problem is either an idiot, blind, or simply doesn't appreciate what we have here.
Here is the response from the school superintendent... http://www.fox40.com/videobeta/?watchId=74dc92b0-5969-4a9e-88ff-d708569bd6d5

It sounds like he is going to fix the problem with the hispanic kids who threatened the kid with the flag. The local school admin was erring on the side of caution.

Seems a reasonable response to me. Nothing to get bent about.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Wow...

You know, no matter how many people like you I see, somehow, it still surprises me every time.

What, people that give a fvck & say so?
Or people that study history & have a clue?
As soon as they start "tolerating" the country that they moved into, I'll start "tolerating" them.
Jeezus, they won't even attempt to learn the language, & they have a problem with old glory being flown? & we're in the wrong?

Because we have no "culture" here.
The thousands of soldiers that have fought for our rights & our way of life say there is. Our flag is a huge part of our culture. Learn some history.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
The thousands of soldiers that have fought for our rights & our way of life say there is. Our flag is a huge part of our culture. Learn some history.
We have principles and ideals, and those are what those soldiers have fought for. At least IMO.

The whole "if they're not with us, they're against us" thing scares me. Exactly who is "they"? Everyone who doesn't do what exactly?

I have studied history and usually some of the worst crimes against humanity are when some group is singled out and blamed for all the problems...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
tehehe, only in america....with so many other pending issues in the world today, and this is what gets people all riled up...a 5x5 piece of cloth.

OH NOES!!!11!1 Im a white middle class citizen and they are OPPRESSIN' ME!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
that last part only applies so long as we are all happy and satiated with every thing we need to survive. remove one slice of the survival pie chart and humanity turns into the wild kingdom. i'm convinced that most people are generally intelligent, thoughtful, tolerant, and reasonable only because they can be in our society.
With due respect, I don't think it's exactly news that the niceties of society are only really in place when people aren't struggling for survival.

However, I don't think Mr. Polack was starving/struggling when he made his douchy comments...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
We have principles and ideals, and those are what those soldiers have fought for. At least IMO.

The whole "if they're not with us, they're against us" thing scares me. Exactly who is "they"? Everyone who doesn't do what exactly?
i'm referring to the "no place for a hyphenated american" quote in that, to be a citizen, you must choose allegiance to one nation. you can celebrate and display your pride in your heritage but if you identify yourself as anything but american you are not getting the big picture of this thing we call unity and solidarity. unless, of course, we've already passed the point of national sovereignty and stepped over the line into the "one world" view where national sovereignty is relinquished into the hands of the global community....if that's the case...we're screwed and you won't be hearing much from me anymore.

or perhaps even Silver's foreign pansy arse has forgotten the oath of citizenship so soon? :
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
i'm referring to the "no place for a hyphenated american" quote in that, to be a citizen, you must choose allegiance to one nation. you can celebrate and display your pride in your heritage but if you identify yourself as anything but american you are not getting the big picture of this thing we call unity and solidarity. unless, of course, we've already passed the point of national sovereignty and stepped over the line into the "one world" view where national sovereignty is relinquished into the hands of the global community....if that's the case...we're screwed and you won't be hearing much from me anymore.

or perhaps even Silver's foreign pansy arse has forgotten the oath of citizenship so soon? :
I understand what you are saying.

My point was that when it comes down to an "us vs them" mentality, bad things usually happen.