Quantcast

Can we finally be done with the HOOP la?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
anyone else find it peculiar that the whole 29'er "craze" is limited to the US? yes, people are riding them in other countries, but the US seems to be where most of them are? :clue:
We are Sasquatches compared to most of the world!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
26" wheels. RIP. I'll keep you around on my On One snowbike...but not really. Expect to see some DH 27.5s soon. DH may not be ever completely taken over by 27.5, but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually did. Otherwise, kiss 26 goodbye IMO.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
yes but I didn't have the ressources and time to publish an independent scientific study so it might aswell be true.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
yes but I didn't have the ressources and time to publish an independent scientific study so it might aswell be true.
I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm talking about DH bikes.

I thought the comment about no WC DH podiums was not totally true therefore, I mentioned Noel's recent victory.

Sorry for the interruption, carry on.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
There really isn't enough product out yet for DH 650b to do a real comparison, tires are limited and not many DH frames designed around them. 2013 is really the year for AM rigs and feedback has been pretty positive. I'm not sure I buy the whole 26" is dead like my LBS is stating though it may be dead for XC but not because of 650b rather because 29r has dominated the XC market. More pros will be on bigger wheels when their sponsors want them to ride their new frames. Only ones who can kill 26" are the mfg but knowing how the bike industry works it's probably coming. Just like when Shimano told us we can't run 8 spd anymore yet I have two perfectly functioning 8spd XT/XTR bikes in my garage;)

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
There really isn't enough product out yet for DH 650b to do a real comparison, tires are limited and not many DH frames designed around them. 2013 is really the year for AM rigs and feedback has been pretty positive. I'm not sure I buy the whole 26" is dead like my LBS is stating though it may be dead for XC but not because of 650b rather because 29r has dominated the XC market. More pros will be on bigger wheels when their sponsors want them to ride their new frames. Only ones who can kill 26" are the mfg but knowing how the bike industry works it's probably coming. Just like when Shimano told us we can't run 8 spd anymore yet I have two perfectly functioning 8spd XT/XTR bikes in my garage;)
When pro's like Brendan, Dan Atherton, and Fabian have the option and have tested them but prefer sticking with their 26" bikes, it kinda throws a wrench into anything being empirically better, and more of a 'horses for courses' thing, imo. Almost literally too...

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
The problem with saying that any given tech is inferior because so-and-so chose not to use it is that there are any number of reasons for them having refused it. And all it takes is one or two decent finishes on a 650B for such statement to be proven wrong.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The point is that there is no clear indication of what is better at this point, and that it seems to be a preference thing. I clearly stated that and as such I cannot be proven wrong ;)

If no pros switch it up for S.A., then I'll be surprised because in theory (and marketing claptrap) that's the course they should have the biggest advantage on.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm not sure I understand your point. I'm talking about DH bikes.

I thought the comment about no WC DH podiums was not totally true therefore, I mentioned Noel's recent victory.

Sorry for the interruption, carry on.
Yeah, I didn't completely research my comment before, but that example still helps to illustrate my point. Fast guys will be fast on whatever they ride. You can't cite world cup podiums as a good metric for determining how fast something is until both wheel sizes are being run by people consistently who are podium threats. Even then, it's all speculation because of how gnarly and unpredictable world cup race runs are.

When it comes down to it, I still don't know why your average mountain biker or ridemonkey poster (since I know some of us don't actually ride, we just talk about it on the internet) feels threatened by a new wheel standard. No one is twisting your arm to go out and by NEW WHEELZ. Who cares if one is a few seconds faster or not? Just ride what feels comfortable.

I personally rode a 27.5 951 and it felt good. Maybe because I'm tall, or maybe because the wheel base was longer than my regular 951, who knows, but I liked it so my next bike will have the wheel size if the industry continues to support it. If I didn't like it, I would continue to run 26" wheels... shoot, I'm going to do that anyway until I can afford a new bike.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Has the 29rs gotten more people into riding again? Maybe a lot of new riders who just don't like technical riding?
I think it's drawn a lot of roadies into MTBing in the past couple years. I don't know if it's the fact that 700c is a size they can relate to better or the perception of big wheels 'smoothing' the trail for them or both, but they seem to have glommed onto it big-time.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I think it's drawn a lot of roadies into MTBing in the past couple years. I don't know if it's the fact that 700c is a size they can relate to better or the perception of big wheels 'smoothing' the trail for them or both, but they seem to have glommed onto it big-time.
That seems plausible given the CX trend amongst roadies and fixters alike.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
When pro's like Brendan, Dan Atherton, and Fabian have the option and have tested them but prefer sticking with their 26" bikes, it kinda throws a wrench into anything being empirically better, and more of a 'horses for courses' thing, imo. Almost literally too...
didn't fabien win on 650b and atherton run 650b at the first EWS race? and atherton won the Afan Enduro race on 650b. i didn't realize they both decided to go back to 26" after that.

and i know he's no fairclough but i believe nico is committed to 650b for the race series.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
didn't fabien win on 650b and atherton run 650b at the first EWS race? and atherton won the Afan Enduro race on 650b. i didn't realize they both decided to go back to 26" after that.

and i know he's no fairclough but i believe nico is committed to 650b for the race series.
Fab was definitely on a 26" bike. And Dan's proto that he's been racing is also 26".

Edit: Dan's may be 27.5. I read different things from different sources.

Isn't Jerome on a 26" bike as well? Didn't Gravy chose the SB66 over the 29er version? Clearly shows things are mixed up.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Cool. So, he's mixed it up, correct? (the races he was on a 36 means he was on a 26")

I guess the take home is, It all works.

Last edited:

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Dirt roadies are killing the progression of the sport. I hate self designated "trail bosses" of alphabet groups neutering trails to the lowest common denominator. Of which they are typically one of the skillless hacks. Just because you cant ride it doesnt mean its unsafe/unrideable.

I feel that this is geographical tho. Its more pervasive here on east coast/midatlantic area
You guys whinging about your local trail organization dumbing down the trails can do something about that. Step up and get involved, lead the process and champion the style of trails you want. Get voted on the boards and make the change you want if you have the support.

re the comment about all board members being skillless hacks I'll invite anyone to come ride with the NSMBA board of directors. Better bring your A-game we as we have a group of solid riders on board, that doesn't even include Simmons. If you manage to hang with the regular board, then you move on to the next level and get school by the Godfather. Heck you might get school by T-Mo, would feel pretty bad to get out ridden (and drank) by a chick.

None of this has anything to do with 650b, but as a board member of an alphabet soup organization I took it to heart.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
so both of the races i mentioned dan was on a proto with 26" wheels? every race report, picture or press release says his proto is a 650b.

edit - didn't see your edit. dan is on 650b. also it looks like 650b for fabien at punta ala as well :

]
Yea, PB reports him as saying he's "sticking to his 26" prototype" hence the confusion.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
You guys whinging about your local trail organization dumbing down the trails can do something about that. Step up and get involved, lead the process and champion the style of trails you want. Get voted on the boards and make the change you want if you have the support.

re the comment about all board members being skillless hacks I'll invite anyone to come ride with the NSMBA board of directors. Better bring your A-game we as we have a group of solid riders on board, that doesn't even include Simmons. If you manage to hang with the regular board, then you move on to the next level and get school by the Godfather. Heck you might get school by T-Mo, would feel pretty bad to get out ridden (and drank) by a chick.

None of this has anything to do with 650b, but as a board member of an alphabet soup organization I took it to heart.
ditto this for Nelson, Whistler, Pemberton trail clubs too, lots of passion and lots of badass riders involved doing lots of good things for trails...sounds like a lot of people just need to step up and get involved...but it's easier to sit on the sidelines and bitch at people who do the heavy lifting with land managers.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
The point is that there is no clear indication of what is better at this point, and that it seems to be a preference thing. I clearly stated that and as such I cannot be proven wrong ;)

If no pros switch it up for S.A., then I'll be surprised because in theory (and marketing claptrap) that's the course they should have the biggest advantage on.
I really hope there's a big mix of prototype rigs at SA this year,not because I love 650b for DH but remember how cool the weeks before 2009 worlds at Canberra were. Barel on a SC fork with HT extenders, Hannah on a brand new fury, people critiquing SC choice of running full on DH rigs but then Peaty and Minaar taking 1st and 2nd. there were lots more I just can't remember.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
is it really that bad down there? (ie, trail managers hogtied by the threat of litigation)?
It's bad enough that a buddy of mine had to fence off his pump track that he was letting the local groms come and ride- It's right next to a park where they all play. A lawyer friend saw it going down and told him he was taking a huge risk.

It's too bad really. The local kids had serious building skills and it was getting more fun every day to ride there.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Fast guys will be fast on whatever they ride. You can't cite world cup podiums as a good metric for determining how fast something is until both wheel sizes are being run by people consistently who are podium threats.
I completely disagree with you on this. There is nothing proven if all the already fastest guys move to 650b wheel. That just mandates that all the slower guy must make the change to keep up. Simple logic is that if the slower guys that are running 650b wheel this season are closing the gap then that proves without a doubt that 650b wheels are faster. So far that has not happened and is not likely to happen. When 29ers began taking over XC racing it was because the field of 29er riders were catching up to the fast guys on 26ers.

No one is twisting your arm to go out and by NEW WHEELZ. Who cares if one is a few seconds faster or not? Just ride what feels comfortable.
There are already several manufacturers that are putting our favorite 26er models out to pasture, subsequently limiting our options when most have said that was not going to happen. My gripe is that I don't enjoy being lied to and if there were some real bases for this I would be on board, but there isn't, it's just marketing lies. I will use carbon as an example. Every manufacture started producing carbon frames because they said that an aluminum frame could not be designed as light and stiff as carbon. Resulting in faster times due to a lighter frame that tracks better due to its stiffness. Meanwhile GT has done the impossible, designed a aluminum frame that is lighter and stiffer than ever DH carbon frame out there. But us being the cattle that we are are not even smart enough to question that. Manufactures know we'll just get in line, make the excuses for them and welcome the slaughterhouse.

I'm not opposed to 650b wheels, I actually want one. I just don't want to lose 26ers in the process because the losers in the 29er wars want to recreate that movement with 650b wheels to fatten their pockets.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
When 29ers began taking over XC racing it was because the field of 29er riders were catching up to the fast guys on 26ers.
It's not accurate to compare what happened in XC racing with DH racing. There are too many more variables flying around at the moment. You don't get a lot of run ending crashes or mechanical issues in XC and the runs are much longer so a slower guy with a technical advantage has more time to close the gap. It's not as noticeable if someone who normally finishes 30th gets a second faster on a 4 minute track. However if someone in the top 10 suddenly gains a second, that's the difference between podium and not. If you're looking for noticeable results of a technical advantage in DH, that's where you'll find it.

In the meantime, no one is saying you have to sell your 26" ride. This isn't like Microsoft dropping support of windows xp or something- your local trails will still be compatible with your current tire size.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I dunno, I got 4th in our local Nelson super enduro d last week on a 27b...1,3,5 were on full blown dh bikes, 2nd was a mojo hd with 2.5 tires....and I was on a 'trail' bike with pinner tires, so basically, who the eff cares so much? run what you like, stfu, have fun.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
This isn't like Microsoft dropping support of windows xp or something
Actually, this is PRECISELY what it is like. Rims and tires are wear items. If there are no more available after a couple years in 26", guess what, you're kind of fvcked into getting one of these oversize clown bikes. Same with Microsoft not offering support for their previous generation product and thus forcing the user to move to a different platform.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Actually, this is PRECISELY what it is like. Rims and tires are wear items. If there are no more available after a couple years in 26", guess what, you're kind of fvcked into getting one of these oversize clown bikes. Same with Microsoft not offering support for their previous generation product and thus forcing the user to move to a different platform.
Wall mart will have them. I suspect you'll be able to find decent low end rims that are at least strong for things like snow-bikes and specialty applications like dirt-jump/DS/unicycles (lol), etc. For a long time you'll be able to get rims and parts though, as the molds and mills are already in place and will continue to make as much money as possible before switching. I don't expect any crazy prices though, as it's a balance between not making the buyer give up and move to another wheel size. It'll just eventually phase out. The only guys complaining about not being able to use tri-align brakes or square taper bottom brackets don't want them to win an XC race or DH race and you can still find some of that stuff out there. This is really much ado about nothing, even if they are going to phase it out. Look at the 1.5" steerer manitous. Completely worthless now due to tapered frames. Who cares? Those died a long time ago and for a while you could get plenty of 1.5 all mountain/freeride frames. By now no one cares anymore. Same thing will happen here. By the time you are "forced" to change, you won't even know it because your bike will have cracked or exploded. There'll be some crazy carbon fiber rims, nano-tech fiber tires and carbon fiber spokes that make the 27.5 wheels accelerate at least as fast as your old 26ers.

Last edited: