Quantcast

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This actually looks really pretty good, especially the removal of fossil fuel subsidies! That is a HUGE win in and of itself.

Biden proposal seeks billions of dollars to advance climate change agenda
https://reut.rs/31CFvQ5

The trouble is with the rebuild part is that concrete is really CO2 heavy, however there is now considerable discussion of making it with Hydrogen instead of Carbon which could in theory make concrete that actually absorbs CO2 as it sets, rather than releasing it. This type of concrete would be especially suitable for underwater use (e.g. offshore wind turbine platforms, hydro power stations etc) although it would also be fine for normal use too.
I doubt this will go that for though, unfortunately. Can also use green hydrogen to make steel manufacturer much more green too, another absolutely massive CO2 culprit at the moment. Decarbonising these two industries would be massive.

Also a fun fact; internationally all air travel only contributes 3% of global CO2 outputs, but road traffic contributes 30% — I don’t know how this ratio is exactly in the US but I suspect given your penchant for vastly unnecessary road going penis-weapons that moving to EVs in combination with more green electricity would be a pretty big win for the planet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is cool too, PA people:

Green hydrogen

It's more kind of yellow when it ignites

Which it does. And it will, by accident. Somewhere.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Green hydrogen

It's more kind of yellow when it ignites

Which it does. And it will, by accident. Somewhere.
Hydrogen is dumb a F for the most part, it's far more efficient to make electricity. Even for stuff like airplanes, they aren't sure that hydrogen will work, since it's not very dense and requires heavy reinforced high pressure tanks. Toyota has been a hold-out for years, but you have to realize that every gas station would have to install hydrogen tanks, pumps, hydrogen trucks would need to be built, storage facilities, pumping and transporting the shit all over the place. Massive waste of energy to build that infrastructure over more electric infrastructure, which isn't starting from zero like hydrogen. Hydrogen may have a place in some limited areas, but at any big scale it seems to be a huge fail. Electric cars don't give a F where the electricity comes from, that's the brilliance in them.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hydrogen is dumb a F for the most part, it's far more efficient to make electricity. Even for stuff like airplanes, they aren't sure that hydrogen will work, since it's not very dense and requires heavy reinforced high pressure tanks. Toyota has been a hold-out for years, but you have to realize that every gas station would have to install hydrogen tanks, pumps, hydrogen trucks would need to be built, storage facilities, pumping and transporting the shit all over the place. Massive waste of energy to build that infrastructure over more electric infrastructure, which isn't starting from zero like hydrogen. Hydrogen may have a place in some limited areas, but at any big scale it seems to be a huge fail. Electric cars don't give a F where the electricity comes from, that's the brilliance in them.
I think it makes sense for power storage when wind/solar can generate more power than the grid can consume. Basically when you have free surplus energy, but otherwise pretty pointless.

It seems like we are on the cusp of solid state lithium batteries which will be the dominant technology when it is ready for commercial use.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think it makes sense for power storage when wind/solar can generate more power than the grid can consume. Basically when you have free surplus energy, but otherwise pretty pointless.
Given how incredibly inefficient electrolysis is, I'd have to imagine there are better ways of storing extra power.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Given how incredibly inefficient electrolysis is, I'd have to imagine there are better ways of storing extra power.

Pumped hydro is very efficient, but expensive and requires the right topology, lots of water and large amounts of land. Batteries are just expensive for mass storage. Hydrogen is very inefficient but has great scalability as capacity is little more than a bigger tank. A fully renewable grid will probably require a bit of each.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
An old friend who works for one of the local utilities designing power systems ( Mfg plant supplies ie CAMI automotive, subdivisions, etc ) has worked on this.

Better bring the soapy water

Actually for the hydrogen too

I was gonna make a joke about using grid overage to fill up a 200ft tall hourglass with water but westy beat me to it. Theres a project proposal just south of mammoth that involved pumping water up to 3 meadows turned lakes at about 11k elevation above a valley of about 4k. Of course the meadows and surrounding hillside are designated wilderness so if that ends up getting approved, my mountainbike dirtbike and snowmobile just gained a lot more terrain.

If we learn nothing else from nuclear please at least let it be 1: don't keep it in the hands of people driven solely by profit motive because shortcuts and accidents go up, and 2: when the system fails half a country isn't destroyed

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
this is fairly close to my house, and I think everything about it is great.

the bottom of that page :rofl:

jacksonbs.JPG

Oh jackson..........I hope you sink into a massive supervolcano. I really do. You have truly earned it teton county.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Caution, auto play video:
autoplay videos are turning the frogs gay.

without autoplay video:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Anyone seen that long red-haired, bearded conservative comedian, who aaron gwin likes, and coincidently looks like aaron gwin as a woman with a beard? Anyway, he sucks.