Quantcast

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I think it’s a great idea for (serious) political factions to actually describe the future they want. Of course the Republicans won’t do this as their vision is “The 0.05% live in luxury artificial habitats and the rest of the population are literally disposable ignorant meat slaves barely surviving in the climate wastelands”. Seems to me the Dems aren’t much different but with a slightly higher percentage in the enclaves.

Anyway.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
For the majority of the readership when do we define midlife turning into old age?

I wouldn't want our members trying to get into overworked ER's due to ill-timed life demographic decisions.
That's why I switched to golf. The hardware is more expensive, but the medical bills and recovery time are offsets.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
For the majority of the readership when do we define midlife turning into old age?

I wouldn't want our members trying to get into overworked ER's due to ill-timed life demographic decisions.
I'll let you know when I get there.
(Old age that is, not ther ER)

Actually, as a founding member of Bad Judgment Tuesday I fully support old folks doing dumb things.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Golf?! For me, that means Given up On Life Fully.
It requires a level of concentration, some skill, a little luck, and a shit ton of creativity. It's actually a lot like skateboarding, that's why I dug it in college. And because you couldn't get credits for skateboarding. Well, I'm guessing you can now, but you couldn't then.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
by bones and concussions say otherwise
I meant from the creativity aspect of it. I was a street skater who grew up without fancy skate parks. You had a curb, or a lip, or a set of stairs that might even have a hand rail and you figured out all the various ways you could injure yourself on it. Sometimes you pull off something amazing.

In golf you have a bunch of clubs that do a bunch of stuff. If you pull everything off, it looks wicked easy. But shit goes sideways in a hurry and are you screwed, or can you pull a trick out of your ass to save face? And what trick do you pull? Some guys have one trick, some guys have a big ass bag of them. Are you both creative enough to come up with the shot needed and skilled enough to pull it off?

I use the same visualization and feel as I do with skateboarding. It just hurts WAY less to fail.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I meant from the creativity aspect of it. I was a street skater who grew up without fancy skate parks. You had a curb, or a lip, or a set of stairs that might even have a hand rail and you figured out all the various ways you could injure yourself on it. Sometimes you pull off something amazing.

In golf you have a bunch of clubs that do a bunch of stuff. If you pull everything off, it looks wicked easy. But shit goes sideways in a hurry and are you screwed, or can you pull a trick out of your ass to save face? And what trick do you pull? Some guys have one trick, some guys have a big ass bag of them. Are you both creative enough to come up with the shot needed and skilled enough to pull it off?

I use the same visualization and feel as I do with skateboarding. It just hurts WAY less to fail.
for me that's fly fishing. you are always thinking always adapting and improvising. Only problem is that most of the time the fish proves to be smarter than I am. :bonk:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
for me that's fly fishing. you are always thinking always adapting and improvising. Only problem is that most of the time the fish proves to be smarter than I am. :bonk:
I fished several spots in Montana this past summer and came to the conclusion there are no fish in the state.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And if I liked fish, I could see that as an option. You still get to drink beer, you are either alone or with folks you choose to be around, you are in nature, usually a nice piece of nature.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Catch and release just seems mean. But I could see holding a beer and rod while floating and just not have a hook in my fly. :rofl:
"Statistically speaking, your chances of catching a trout are not appreciably increased by having a hook on your line."

-I Just Made That Up

:D

ETA: C&R is quite a bit less cruel if you crush the barb on the hook. Then again, the chances of fish just spitting the hook increases exponentially if you do this. NTTAWWT

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
"Statistically speaking, your chances of catching a trout are not appreciably increased by having a hook on your line."

-I Just Made That Up

ETA: C&R is quite a bit less cruel if you crush the barb on the hook. Then again, the chances of fish just spitting the hook increases exponentially if you do this. NTTAWWT
I fish barbless and yes it is a much more difficult game

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

-I Just Made That Up

So my first fishing trip in Oregon scared me for life. In California, we never caught sturgeon big enough to keep. I had no idea there was an upper limit, too. With a buddy here, he pulls in this thing, I don't want to call it a fish, because this was no fish. I didn't have a tape measure nor would have been able to use one, but best guess is at least 10 foot tip to tail. Now we gotta release it? :panic:

/coolstorybro

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So my first fishing trip in Oregon scared me for life. In California, we never caught sturgeon big enough to keep. I had no idea there was an upper limit, too. With a buddy here, he pulls in this thing, I don't want to call it a fish, because this was no fish. I didn't have a tape measure nor would have been able to use one, but best guess is at least 10 foot tip to tail. Now we gotta release it? :panic:

/coolstorybro
It’s kind of the same with halibut, the females that repopulate the species are the ones that grow to the “barn door” sizes, they aren’t as good to eat at that size and you are really F-ing over the species by keeping those ones.

I think 72” was the max for sturgeon when I lived in CA, if that’s not enough fish for you…we caught many and the steaks were good.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It’s kind of the same with halibut, the females that repopulate the species are the ones that grow to the “barn door” sizes, they aren’t as good to eat at that size and you are really F-ing over the species by keeping those ones.

I think 72” was the max for sturgeon when I lived in CA, if that’s not enough fish for you…we caught many and the steaks were good.
Everything we caught was under 4' and I think 44" was minimum. We caught stuff that was close, but a 36" fish is still a fucking big fish you gotta toss back.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I want to catch the fish so bad. I love eating the bastards, for me that’s the point. Fishing isn’t fun, catching fish is. But I suck at it. Summer before last I managed to catch two small trout on separate days in Idaho. Our family of four shared a single trout for breakfast. My little one eats the skin and eyes it’s freaking disgusting but I love her so I try to get her more eyeballs to eat. Neighbor campsite the guys get out of their boat with like 20 trout. His kids get plenty of eyeballs to eat.

im gunna work at the fishing more this summer. Kid needs her trout eyeballs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I want to catch the fish so bad. I love eating the bastards, for me that’s the point. Fishing isn’t fun, catching fish is. But I suck at it. Summer before last I managed to catch two small trout on separate days in Idaho. Our family of four shared a single trout for breakfast. My little one eats the skin and eyes it’s freaking disgusting but I love her so I try to get her more eyeballs to eat. Neighbor campsite the guys get out of their boat with like 20 trout. His kids get plenty of eyeballs to eat.

im gunna work at the fishing more this summer. Kid needs her trout eyeballs.
WhatTheFuck.gif