Quantcast

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, with the advancements in headphone and hearing aid technology, the two are starting to merge. I have pretty good hearing now (I am sure some loss over 16k, etc), but as I age, and hearing gets more affected (distinguishing individual voices, etc), Hearing technology will be better, more discrete, and cheaper than ever.
So that’s not terrible.

EDIT: As well as all sorts of medical shit.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well, with the advancements in headphone and hearing aid technology, the two are starting to merge. I have pretty good hearing now (I am sure some loss over 16k, etc), but as I age, and hearing gets more affected (distinguishing individual voices, etc), Hearing technology will be better, more discrete, and cheaper than ever.
So that’s not terrible.

EDIT: As well as all sorts of medical shit.

Tinnitus...

...please.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Rollin coal no mo.

"Each violation of the federal Clean Air Act is punishable by up to two years in prison and a $250,000 fine, according to the news release.

Over three years, the two businesses tampered with approximately 375 diesel trucks"

:popcorn:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
"Each violation of the federal Clean Air Act is punishable by up to two years in prison and a $250,000 fine, according to the news release.

Over three years, the two businesses tampered with approximately 375 diesel trucks"

:popcorn:
But they made a half million dollars doing it. Too bad that won't make a dent in that fine. :rofl:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Man... people are fuckin' *weird.* :crazy:
In some ways she is closer to our roots than the vast majority. Humans are endurance hunters, with the ability to exhaust anything in a track and run. She is one of the few who still has the ability to run down her food.

Not my jam, but you have to respect the dedication and ability. She is not so different than us. We willingly fling ourselves down mountains on foot-cycles with the almost certainty that we will be injured at one or more points. Some of us just don't get the message and keep racking up the injury scoreboard.

Not sure who is crazier. :think:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not my jam, but you have to respect the dedication and ability. She is not so different than us. We willingly fling ourselves down mountains on foot-cycles with the almost certainty that we will be injured at one or more points. Some of us just don't get the message and keep racking up the injury scoreboard.

no comment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In some ways she is closer to our roots than the vast majority. Humans are endurance hunters, with the ability to exhaust anything in a track and run. She is one of the few who still has the ability to run down her food.
Well that is kinda contradictory, because if true, then a large number of us (obese population excluded) would have that ability, not just "a few". We are hunter gather's. Yeah, I've heard all that stuff about the endurance stuff, but you aren't going to outrun a gazelle, and if you track it for too long, a lion will probably get you anyway. Other animals will jump up rock faces like they aren't even there...good luck for hoo-mans. Some people have this ability, some humans survived this way, but it's a broad brush that some people paint by making this claim. Inuit survived by not running, eating berries and whale fat.

Well that is kinda contradictory, because if true, then a large number of us (obese population excluded) would have that ability, not just "a few". We are hunter gather's. Yeah, I've heard all that stuff about the endurance stuff, but you aren't going to outrun a gazelle, and if you track it for too long, a lion will probably get you anyway. Other animals will jump up rock faces like they aren't even there...good luck for hoo-mans. Some people have this ability, some humans survived this way, but it's a broad brush that some people paint by making this claim. Inuit survived by not running, eating berries and whale fat.
Tim Noakes would argue that one can outrun a gazelle over time. I agree that there are cultures that don't learn the art.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

And all of that does not negate the fact that as humans we are CAPABLE of this type of feat. Nowhere did I say anything about other hunting methods, or did I say that we only hunted in this fashion. Bushmen in Kalahari are the best known example hunting primarily Antelope, there is also a tribe in Mexico who practised this until relatively recently . There is also evidence that Navajo and Paiute in the SW also used this technique long ago.

Me thinks that the environment you live in may have just a teensy, tiny effect on the hunting techniques employed. Just a wild ass thought.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And all of that does not negate the fact that as humans we are CAPABLE of this type of feat. Nowhere did I say anything about other hunting methods, or did I say that we only hunted in this fashion. Bushmen in Kalahari are the best known example hunting primarily Antelope, there is also a tribe in Mexico who practised this until relatively recently . There is also evidence that Navajo and Paiute in the SW also used this technique long ago.

Me thinks that the environment you live in may have just a teensy, tiny effect on the hunting techniques employed. Just a wild ass thought.
Physiologically, I don't see it as possible. Not from a strength/endurance point of view, but from a physiological damage over time one. The impact to joints and other parts from running for hours and hours on end. I've done stuff where I'm training all fall and winter so I can sustain riding 24hrs/day for a few days. I've done a bit of longer distance running too, but backed off of that due to...physiological damage. I just don't see this as realistic. Some people do it, but as a "oh yeah humans can do this", that's like saying humans can climb Everest without oxygen all the time because people in Nepal can process O2 much more efficiently than the rest of us. It's a bit deceiving to say that the entire population has this capability.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
When I look back at some of my more notable and more physical accomplishments such as the cascades traverses, Race across america, or even when I used to run like baboon, I think it was pure lunacy and mental instability that was the driving force. These days I am perfectly content not leaving the recliner all day and ordering door dash.

Ultimately the experiences were so involved and singular in my life that each one actually was the cause for me not continuing in the avenue, the three sisters traverse was the last time I had been mountaineering, RAAM was the last time I physically owned a bike and enjoyed it and the military pretty much ruined running for me.

I will stick to daily self challenges these days such as not shitting my pants and not choking to death on a ham sammich.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
GFF I can kind of relate. I embraced living on the edge, and yes it was borderline insanity. I don't climb or mountaineer anymore and I only do easy bike rides. I would still do the harder stuff but at 67 my body just can't do it anymore. I am almost always in moderate pain in my joints. I make do with fishing from my kayak and wading the trout streams and the occasional easy back packing trip. Such is old age but I wouldn't want to do anything differently if I had a do over as I had one hell of a fun time getting here.