Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It all hinges on the price, and ability to purchase outright. SolarCity's leasing terms do not make any financial sense.

/me is still looking idly at more solar in 2021, the last year of the solar Federal tax credit. (30% through 2019, 26% in 2020, 22% in 2021, but I bet prices are going down by more than 4% annually.)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
It all hinges on the price, and ability to purchase outright.
If one believes the claim that they will be priced similarly to standard shingles, or even a little bit over, and for 2-3 times the life span, I'll be praying to the FSM nightly for another golf ball hail storm come next summer. I'll let Allstate buy me a roof and ill lay out the cash for a power wall.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am intrigued by Musk's solar tiles, but energy prices here are basically the lowest in the country, so I dunno if any of that would be worth it for my situation.
If you care about carbon WY coal is super dirty. I offset my Xcel bill through their windsource program.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think we get all of our power from Bonneville, which is principally hydro.
Lower Valley Energy seems pretty progressive. I couldn't find a precise power generation mix but you are right, they have a close relationship with Bonneville. Cool, since the rest of Wyoming is fueled by coal (as would my grid if I didn't offset it).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Technically it's bad news, but it's making burglary great again:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/burglar-dressed-as-ninja-breaks-into-alaska-shop-steals-katana-sword/

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A katana sword is missing from an Alaska card shop after a burglar in a ninja outfit broke in.

CBS affiliate KTVA reported that security cameras filmed the costumed suspect entering the Anchorage business sometime after it closed Friday and leaving with what looked to be the Japanese-style, curved sword.

Spenard Bosco’s employee Erich Helmick said inventory is being checked but that so far it seems the sword is the only item missing.

“The sword was the only thing we could make out well enough on the video to say for sure,” he told KTVA.

Helmick said the Anchorage Police Department responded to the incident and a report has been filed.

Anyone with information is asked to call police.

Surveillance video of the burglary can be seen below:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
My local joke news site, good for a laugh every now & again!
http://thealbanysmudge.com/articles/15_12_13/Amsterdam_SyrianRefugees.html

Syrian Refugees Arrive in Amsterdam NY, Ask to Go Back Home
AMSTERDAM — The City of Amsterdam welcomed its first batch of refugees from war-torn Syria this week, but the refugees were less than impressed with their new surroundings.

In fact, they asked to be sent back home.

“They brought us from one hell-hole to another," said refugee Yousef Amad, who spoke to the Smudge through a translator. "Are you sure Amsterdam is not also a war zone? This place looks like it was left for dead decades ago."

"We don't mean to sound ungrateful, it is just that things were much better in our war-torn homeland,” said another refugee, Mahmood Hazani. “This Amsterdam place is just awful. How do these people live like this?”

“The buildings are all boarded up, and the city is basically a ghost town,” he added. “The few people we have seen walking around the streets look poor and miserable. This place is like Aleppo, but with more hicks and a higher obesity rate.”

“Plus the weather here is just dreadful,” added Mahmood's wife, Amira. “And this Time Warner Internet service is slow as pomegranate syrup. What, they couldn't spring for FiOS?”

For Amsterdam — which said it was only trying to help — agreeing to take in refugees seemed like a “no brainer.”

"We can relate with these people,” said Mayor Ann Thane, whose town, like Syria, has also fallen on hard times. “And we have plenty of abandoned, boarded-up buildings to house them. It just makes good sense.”

“Plus, even though these refugees are dirt poor, we are hoping they can jumpstart our economy,” she continued. “We are completely out of other ideas.”

When informed of the refugees’ decision to leave Amsterdam because the town is “miserable,” Mayor Thane admitted she was not all that surprised.

"I get where they are coming from," she said. "Many of our people are indeed miserable; but others are just heavily addicted to crack. In fairness, the crack addicts are usually pretty happy while they are high. So, at least we have that.”

Mr. Hazani said the refugees intend to return to Syria as soon as they can find an affordably priced flight out of Albany International Airport with fewer than 15 connections. Experts say such a flight may not be available until sometime next summer, at the earliest.

“Even air travel is worse in this shithole," he stated.