Quantcast

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I generally refuse to fly for any trip that would be under 12 hours of driving. That 2 hour flight takes at least 7 hours door to door with a solid possibility of taking 2-3 times that amount.
10+ years ago when I lived in the NE and used to travel a lot for work I had a 5 1/2hour driving radius before I'd succumb to having to fly. Even without COVID concerns, that might be closer to your 12 hour radius now...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The conversations amongst producers must have been hilarious.

"Uh guys we're filming a movie about slavery in a state that wants slavery back. *sigh* Dammit! Pull the trucks out I guess. "
the irony is certainly not lost on me.

note: production had not yet started on the movie.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the irony is certainly not lost on me.

note: production had not yet started on the movie.
The cynical (realistic) part of me is very well aware that they were happy to take production there because of specific film industry tax evasion policies GA has had in place for years....and only decided to pull out once some other industries started making noise.

Yeah they were all for avoiding civil responsibility when it was going to benefit them in secret. But with a title like "emancipation" you really can't lurk in the shadows in GA right now :rofl:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would even chose to fly if they had access to euro-style rail network. I found it to be absolutely glorious when compared to the fresh hell that is air travel these days.
Totally agree. And then I went to Japan.
:Mind blown:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Our Essential Air System is so out of control. We basically subsidize airlines and all the resulting jobs. Places that are 2 hours or less from major hubs by multiple roads have EAS. I can understand if say it's EMS helicopters, but regional jets and all that stuff in places where it's easier to drive to the freaking hubs. Of course every congress district with EAS will fight to preserve it forever for "jerbs"...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Our Essential Air System is so out of control. We basically subsidize airlines and all the resulting jobs. Places that are 2 hours or less from major hubs by multiple roads have EAS. I can understand if say it's EMS helicopters, but regional jets and all that stuff in places where it's easier to drive to the freaking hubs. Of course every congress district with EAS will fight to preserve it forever for "jerbs"...
:wave:

It is ridiculous in a great many cases, looking at you PUB. That said, I've also been to a large number of podunk airports that are well, probably essential for thier respective communities. I agree that perhaps the criteria ought to be tightened on what cities meet the definition.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Like Palm Springs International ? LOL
Arguably, Palm Springs and the valley area are big enough to warrant its own airport. One of our oldest maintenance facilities is there. Those flights are routinely full. Just today, we operated 24 flights there. That does not include other carriers, of which there are several.

I'm talking about places with 1, maybe 2 flights a day, that have maybe a handful of people. Last time I went to pueblo to fix an airplane, all of one person was waiting in the terminal.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Arguably, Palm Springs and the valley area are big enough to warrant its own airport. One of our oldest maintenance facilities is there. Those flights are routinely full. Just today, we operated 24 flights there. That does not include other carriers, of which there are several.

I'm talking about places with 1, maybe 2 flights a day, that have maybe a handful of people. Last time I went to pueblo to fix an airplane, all of one person was waiting in the terminal.
Barstow.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I remember when Hughes Air West had 2 flights a day into and out of Arcata Airport in a DC9 No effing room for error. They were chirping the tires making the left at the last taxiway upon landing and on take off they ran the engines up to where the brakes wouldn't hold Right after rotation you went
Arcata Airport.png
over a 100" high sea cliff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I remember when Hughes Air West had 2 flights a day into and out of Arcata Airport in a DC9 No effing room for error. They were chirping the tires making the left at the last taxiway upon landing and on take off they ran the engines up to where the brakes wouldn't hold Right after rotation you wentView attachment 159288 over a 100" high sea cliff.
Yeah, 6000' is tight as shit for those kind of planes. Alaska Airlines does that kind of stuff up here in Kotzebue, Nome, Kodiak and a few others, but it takes special training and qualification and they really have to keep on top of it. Back in the day, the airlines relied more on "hope" as method to success.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Let us revel in some good news, shall we?

It's about hats.

“We don’t want to put a cap in you,” reads the now hat-focused site. “We want to put a cap on you.”

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited: