Quantcast

Can you fix a flat on the trails?

Jun 10, 2009
This is a simple and serious question. After years of trying, I finally got my gf to put her money where her mouth was and show me that she can use the concepts she learned.

This case, it was a damaged tubeless valve that resulted in a change back to a tubed configuration. No big deal, as I think that's easier than trying to reseat a tubeless tire.

Anyhow, so who doesn't know, or has an idea of the concept, but is weary of the ability to actually carry it out?

Oh yeah, she did it, but not without some "hiccups" :banghead:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I am not a very technical person when it comes to my bike, but I can change a flat without a problem. I just hate doing it. I always feel like something in the forest is stalking me while I'm bent over working on it.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Did you join this forum to get girls to give you fuel to go pick on your wife for not knowing how to fix a tubeless valve stem?

Do you know how to replace a master cylinder on a Hayes HFX when you can't bleed them properly?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am not a very technical person when it comes to my bike, but I can change a flat without a problem. I just hate doing it. I always feel like something in the forest is stalking me while I'm bent over working on it.
I'm looking at you from behind a tree...

P.S. I was just talking about this with my team of HS boys. None of them got a flat this season, so almost none of them can change a flat tire. I bet the first time they got stranded because they couldn't change a flat tire, they take what I showed them seriously.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
Yup, I can fix a tire, tubed or not,...XC, DH, 20, or road,...
Now can I tell you how many bikes and tires I've fixed for guys?

Kudos to your gf. Independents equals survival.

One of my friends learned how to use a chain tool at a womens clinic. Then while vacationing in Utah,...she came across 4 women with a broken chain. She fixed the chain. The ladies were so happy,...they guided her on the "locals only" epic trails of the area every day of her trip.

Nice to help others,ay

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yup, I can fix a tire, tubed or not,...XC, DH, 20, or road,...
Now can I tell you how many bikes and tires I've fixed for guys?

Kudos to your gf. Independents equals survival.

One of my friends learned how to use a chain tool at a womens clinic. Then while vacationing in Utah,...she came across 4 women with a broken chain. She fixed the chain. The ladies were so happy,...they guided her on the "locals only" epic trails of the area every day of her trip.

Nice to help others,ay
:thumb: I made a guys day when I fixed his broken chain. He bought me a beer after the ride too!

powernapper

Chimp
Jul 23, 2006
UpState NY
I'm powernapper's girlfriend, not him....

The guys won't let me near their bikes any more. Word is out that that when I get my hands on a chain, they end up with a bunch of chain bracelets. And when my boyfriend took his daughter shopping, he came home to find his brake cables were replaced with pink ones.

Going to have to order some pink shifter cables....I just got him a 9er frame for his birthday and I think I'll have to cable it out in pink!!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Did you join this forum to get girls to give you fuel to go pick on your wife for not knowing how to fix a tubeless valve stem?

Do you know how to replace a master cylinder on a Hayes HFX when you can't bleed them properly?

yes, this is a duplicate of a thread that was first posted in the women's lounge on MTBR.com