Quantcast

Can you make a 951 plush?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I know the 951 has a bit of an odd spring curve, rather progressive. But can you make it feel plusher, closer to what the alloy V10 feels like? Maybe PUSH the shock or something?

Thanks!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm sure someone has enough skill with a sewing machine to make a 951 plush. i think the hard part would be embroidering the text to mimic the decals

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Fine.

The 951 ramps up quickly right? Can feel a little harsh?

The V10 feels deep and bottomless.

Is there a way to get the 951 more like the V10?

Yes I know they are different bikes, just curious.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I have my 951 set up in plush mode at 8.5 travel same spring as i would in 8 travel and the compression turned in 2 extra clicks. not so plush is 8 inches stiff spring for my weight and 3-4 clicks on the compression and somewhere around 100 lbs in the air pressure

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
In my experience with the 951- running it in the 8.5" setting causes it to ramp up faster.

8" setting with spring rate at about 30% sag, low speed compression maybe 1 or two clicks in on a RC4 and a ton of air in the boost valve seem work best for my 200 lbs self to make the suspension feel "plush".

I was running the same setting with very little pressure in the boost valve and the bike felt less lively.

I dunno though- some bikes are made to feel quick and poppy and others are made to feel plush and plow-ish. Intense has landed on both sides of the spectrum with the 951 and the m9. I'd say it would be pretty hard to make the 951 behave like an m9.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Wouldnt it be possible with somehting like a Vivid air, or the upcoming CCDB air, where you can change the progressiveness of the shock.
In the case of the CCDB air I'm sure in one of the Interbike videos, CC went on to explain that all you had to do, is chuck some spacers inside the canister ... something to that effect.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I run mine in the 8" setting as the 8.5" made it ramp up way harder.

I feel like a Cane Creek Double barrel would be an ideal way for plush out this bike. It has very wide range of compression tuning, so you can take out almost all of the high speed compression to get a more linear feel.

certified

Chimp
Aug 31, 2011
UK
Maybe dont use the Fox shock they ramp up very much near the end maybe you need something like a vivd which is less progressive?

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
i run a stage 5 and world cup 28psi in the tires. im only like 115 lbs so i run 35-40 in the world cup and its plush
28 psi sounds like a lot for your weight. I'm 135 lbs and I run 23 psi in the rear and 21 psi in the front. No punctures this year, I'm running High Rollers and standard conti mtb tubes. I'm gonna try out Maxxis Superlight (or whatever they're called) next year and see if it still holds up.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
28 psi sounds like a lot for your weight. I'm 135 lbs and I run 23 psi in the rear and 21 psi in the front. No punctures this year, I'm running High Rollers and standard conti mtb tubes. I'm gonna try out Maxxis Superlight (or whatever they're called) next year and see if it still holds up.
I really like it. works for me, havent flatted yet and if anything ive been riding 10 times harder this year, more racing, more rocks, more jumps, more drops. i lower it a bit for mud, raise it up for dry condition. I have excavators now, with maxxis Downhill tubes.

flyboy

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Cane Creek Double Barrel: Linear shock plus HUGE adjustment range. Should be the best option for a progressive frame like 951.
I'm 185lbs, run mine in 8.5" mode with the short chainstay position on the G3's, have a CCDB, and run tires about 30psi. My spring is Ti, and sag is about 35% - mostly I ride Whistler.

I also have a carbon V10 that I run in the 10" mode (yes I have two bikes:thumb:).

I can tell you that if you take the time with a CCDB and adjust that shock the bike is plush. It's not as plush as the V10, but it's not that far behind.