Quantcast

can you pedal an electric bike?

LordOpie48

Chimp
Feb 11, 2023
comfortably?

My thought is to electric bike to work and then go for a "real" ride after work, so I'm wondering if electric bikes are great or just a crappy compromise between motorcycle and bicycle?

are they reasonable to customize like swapping handlebars? And change the crankset? Seems like most bikes come with 170mm arms, but I need 175.

any bikes allow pedaling to recharge the battery?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No normal bikes will allow recharging to pedal as they freewheel.

If you get a mid drive bike and just shift to Eco from Trail or whatever then you'll get more of a workout. My Shimano mid drive e-mtb feels more sluggish than a regular bike when assist is off completely, but part of that might be its weight and that I don't compromise on tire choice thanks to the assist.

I like my e-mtb overall (Pivot Shuttle). And my Juiced RipCurrent S is a pretty good commuter, although I wouldn't go with 26 x 4.0" ever again--Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire sizes for commuting or bust.

LordOpie48

Chimp
Feb 11, 2023
No normal bikes will allow recharging to pedal as they freewheel.

If you get a mid drive bike and just shift to Eco from Trail or whatever then you'll get more of a workout. My Shimano mid drive e-mtb feels more sluggish than a regular bike when assist is off completely, but part of that might be its weight and that I don't compromise on tire choice thanks to the assist.

I like my e-mtb overall (Pivot Shuttle). And my Juiced RipCurrent S is a pretty good commuter, although I wouldn't go with 26 x 4.0" ever again--Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire sizes for commuting or bust.
thanks! I was concerned that an e-bike wouldn't ride as well as a regular bike

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thanks! I was concerned that an e-bike wouldn't ride as well as a regular bike
Mine didn't. I mean it was fine- it pedaled without resitance, but it was also a 48lb road/gravel bike, so it was awful. I loved the boost because it got fast stupid quick, but it wasn't any fun without the assistance.