Quantcast

Can you race a CX bike in an XC MTB race?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...or is wheel size going to be a determining factor? Ive heard of people racing MTBs in XC races, but not the opposite. What about 24 hour races and all that stuff?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
is it a USA cycling sanctioned race??

I have seen CX bikes at 24 hours of old Pueblo and several local grass roots XC races.

No race specifically, just in general Im asking. And you've answered my question. I dont see the point in having a road and MTB when I could just get one bike to do both. I suck anyway, might as well make the trails interesting again.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I just perused the NORBA rulebook and didn't see anything prohibiting this. This may not be the case for UCI rules (these rules also apply to upper-level NORBA classes and national champ's, I believe). You can use 29ers, so why not a CX bike? I do remember that when I was racing collegiate, some races specifically told us no CX bikes allowed. I don't know why, but thems was the rules.

In any case, I wouldn't want to race a CX bike on an MTB course unless it was easy, high speed and without a lot of corners. Otherwise, a light MTB would almost always be better, faster and more fun.