Quantcast

Can you really scrub a bike?

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
so shuttling this weekend we got into an argument about if you can really scrub a bike off a jump like you would on a moto or if it is just squashing the jump or just absorbing the lip? what do you think, can you scrub a jump on a bike?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Can someone explain what happens in a scrub? I thought it was just another way of absorbing the jump.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
There was a picture I think of Jurgen Beneke in Decline doing a huge scrub down what looked like a step down. The view of the shot was from the back.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
did the term not originally start when bubba was scrubbing the frame on a lip of a jump while absorbing the lip? I don't know if you want to do that on a bike or a moto unless you really got skilz...

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
yes, mechanically, it's exactly the same. On a straight jump, I will make a turn to the right about 50 foot before a jump. You can also drift out in a corner to get in the same position relative to the jump. Then when I hit the face of the jump on an angle, I turn hard to the left and lean the bike way over. Obviously, you can do it to either direction. The idea is that your turning over the jump. Thus, changing your angle of attack over the jump. I learned it riding moto and have transfered it to the DH bike easily.

Wasn't it Herndon that jacked himself up a couple years ago scrubing the hip at Snowshoe for a photo shoot and snagged the bars on the ground?

And no, I can not get bubba low.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Wasn't it Herndon that jacked himself up a couple years ago scrubing the hip at Snowshoe for a photo shoot and snagged the bars on the ground?
It was Geritt, not Herndon. Broke ankle from his handlebar got stuck in his short's leg and he high-sided the landing.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey Damo, I have been riding a bit with Aari lately. He rips super hard and his scrubs and whips are so sick. 3 days ago he was scrubbing millimeters off the ground.

Hopkins

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
On a side note (everyone turn your backs for a minute):

Ben: you going to be out and about tomorrow? I'm bringing some lads over your way for a photoshoot and looking for some decent hips/booters...

Okay everyone, you can come back now...

colly keogh

Chimp
Nov 30, 2008
dublin ireland
the only person ive seen truly scrub a bike ie slide of the lip is cody warren in that wheels of speed vid and hill in that specialized vid no offence to vories but hes tableing a stepup a lot of people think thats a scrub it does reduce air time but is not a scrub

case in point
sliding the lip

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
the only person ive seen truly scrub a bike ie slide of the lip is cody warren in that wheels of speed vid and hill in that specialized vid no offence to vories but hes tableing a stepup a lot of people think thats a scrub it does reduce air time but is not a scrub

case in point
sliding the lip
I think your right. I do think that you can scrub a bike but it is very hard to do right. i believe that the term has become pretty general and if you just absorb a jump a little bit, its now called a scrub.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
you can scrub, but the weight of the bike relative to the rider means that hanging off like you can a moto will never happen.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
These pictures make me feel:

-Like I have a 2" penis
-Like I should sell my bikes
-Like I should give up on riding
-Like I'm a no-talent hack
-Like my wife deserves better
-Like I boarded the Failboat about 4 years ago when I started riding and my failboat hasn't even left the harbor yet.

But I love these photos. :D

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ

-Like I have a 2" penis
-Like I boarded the Failboat about 4 years ago when I started riding and my failboat hasn't even left the harbor yet.

Same here.. but more of a reason to pin it.:weee:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA

-Like I have a 2" penis

They sorta make me feel like I want to find a nice long stepdown...

...and that when I do, I should wear some elbow pads for the first couple of tries.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Best is to find a stepup that you can hit twice as high and practice bringing your height down by scrubbing. Or a hip jump made into a wall.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
On a side note (everyone turn your backs for a minute):

Ben: you going to be out and about tomorrow? I'm bringing some lads over your way for a photoshoot and looking for some decent hips/booters...

Okay everyone, you can come back now...
Morgins till noon then off to Monte Tamaro for 3 days then back to Chatel for the Mountain Style.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As cool looking as these are, is there actually any reason to do one on a bike? I can understand in Moto, where you can get back on the trottle faster since your wheels will be back on the ground sooner. Assuming you're on a bike, you have no throttle, only pedals, so unless you land upright and can start cranking immediately, wouldn't spending more time in the air theoretically be faster? Especially if it's a rough or not particularly steep section?

I mean, it looks wildly cool, but I just wonder whether it's for anything more than show.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
As cool looking as these are, is there actually any reason to do one on a bike? I can understand in Moto, where you can get back on the trottle faster since your wheels will be back on the ground sooner. Assuming you're on a bike, you have no throttle, only pedals, so unless you land upright and can start cranking immediately, wouldn't spending more time in the air theoretically be faster? Especially if it's a rough or not particularly steep section?

I mean, it looks wildly cool, but I just wonder whether it's for anything more than show.
Uhhh. If you hit a jump really fast and dont bother to scrub it or absorb it you are either: A) gonna huck to flat and lose a bunch of speed or B) tap the brakes to avoid the huck to flat. I would say it does serve a purpose.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm not talking about a huck to flat. Let's say you have a jump with a long landing, as usually high speed jumps do. You can scrub/prejump and hit the landing earlier, or boost it and land lower down.

Disregard the huck to flat for now, that's a different circumstance.

Craig Quik

Chimp
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland
It's a shorter distance travelled if you keep it low. Watch some Bubba racing vids on youtube, yeh I know it's moto, but you can see how he covers more distance before hitting the ground by keeping low - if you can find a vid of him jumping at the same time as another rider.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I'm not talking about a huck to flat. Let's say you have a jump with a long landing, as usually high speed jumps do. You can scrub/prejump and hit the landing earlier, or boost it and land lower down.

Disregard the huck to flat for now, that's a different circumstance.
If you are going fast enough you will huck to flat. Unless it is the fade-away step down at Ft. William or something like that, but still, if you keep it low and land higher up you will probably carry more speed. :thumb: Who cares?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
From my (poor) memory of secondary school physics, your overall speed is made up of horizontal and vertical components. So, arbitrary example, if you run into a tombstone lip at 20 mph and boost high off it, you might be going 15mph vertically and only 5 mph horizontally. If you scrub the jump and keep as low a flight path as possible, you might get 10 mph vertical and 10 mph horizontal.

Someone with a better grasp of physics may want to confirm if I am talking out my arse or not. :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm guessing the correct answer is always "it depends"...if it's a really rough section, you won't accelerate on the ground and you'll be faster in the air...if it's shallower then you can scrub and pedal or "use gravity" down the landing. hm......

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
Assuming the point of "scrubbing" is keeping your tragetory as horizontal as possible and maintaining forward momentum, then you can accomplish the same thing by getting behind your saddle and absorbing the jump. On a moto your not getting behind the saddle.

But an old school BMX chin on saddle/ ass on tire doesn't look nearly as cool as dragging your bars/ pedals up the face of a jump.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Correct sir. Of course you have to factor in the coefficient of friction due to your hub bearings on the ground versus the decreased horizontal velocity of a higher trajectory. Then integrate the momentum with respect to your distance traveled from the length of a hair off a rats ass to the hair off a moles ass. :) Scrubs are cool and just ask Peaty if being on the ground is faster than hucking. Whether or not real moto scrubs on a mtb are legit I have to say I haven't seen one of the same caliber, but that has a lot to do with the weight difference and the gyro effect that isn't very prevalent on a 38 pound bike. Ronnie Renner whips are testament to that.

From my (poor) memory of secondary school physics, your overall speed is made up of horizontal and vertical components. So, arbitrary example, if you run into a tombstone lip at 20 mph and boost high off it, you might be going 15mph vertically and only 5 mph horizontally. If you scrub the jump and keep as low a flight path as possible, you might get 10 mph vertical and 10 mph horizontal.

Someone with a better grasp of physics may want to confirm if I am talking out my arse or not. :)