Quantcast

Can you use Truvativ external cups on FSA cranks???

J

JRB

I know that Race Face works with Shimano, but FSA says that they didn't design theirs around others. They don't say it won't, but they don't recommend it. I would say that too, if it worked.

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
Race Face and Shimano spindles are compatible. FSA and Truvativ spindles are compatible. So yes.
I'm pretty sure my friend has run his Dura Ace 10s on his FSA bottom bracket. Hrmm - if that works, I guess that Shimano would work.

J

JRB

OK - well I found a new FSA BB on ebay for $20 buy it now, so I should have one coming, but would like to hear options on others that work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If it's all ISIS, then internal or external cups, it'll work.

Are you buying the ISIS variety or the other splined kind?

J

JRB

binary visions said:
If it's all ISIS, then internal or external cups, it'll work.

Are you buying the ISIS variety or the other splined kind?
These

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ahh, no, I don't know then. That's not the ISIS bottom bracket.

Are you trying to purchase the two items seperately, or do you have one or the other and are trying to mate them?

J

JRB

I have them both, but I rode without some spacers that I needed. I have a horrible creak now. I bought them from BMXman, and they are great, but I kind of didn't pay attention when I installed them. Like I said, they look brand new, ride great, but they pop under load. I found some on Ebay though last night, for half the cost of any online shop, so I bought them. I am just wondering what all works, if I need them in the future.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
All the external cup bottom brackets are compatible with any of the cranks made for external bottom brackets. The interface is irrelevant as the spindle is part of the crank not the bottom bracket.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:
So is Octalink ISIS or no?
No, Octalink is Shimano's proprietary crank interface. Has nothing to do with ISIS - they're both splined, but that's it. Different spindle diameters, different spline shape.

DRB said:
All the external cup bottom brackets are compatible with any of the cranks made for external bottom brackets. The interface is irrelevant as the spindle is part of the crank not the bottom bracket.
Right, but are all of the spindles the same diameter?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
binary visions said:
Right, but are all of the spindles the same diameter?
According the to the Shimano rep, all the spindles that he has seen to this point have been the same diameter. That doesn't mean in the future someone won't change to a bigger diameter. But that would sort of defeat one of the purposes behind the external bottom brackets, bigger bearings.

He did say that some mfgs tolerances weren't as good as others and that could cause some problems but that would be with any bottom bracket.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
According the to the Shimano rep, all the spindles that he has seen to this point have been the same diameter.
Good to know, thanks :thumb:

He did say that some mfgs tolerances weren't as good as others and that could cause some problems but that would be with any bottom bracket.
Yeah, I tend to stick with brands when I spec cranks/BBs for that reason - often you just don't get the same tight interface with certain combinations.

J

JRB

I have never had any problems between Race Face, Truvativ, or FSA on ISIS stuff. I will ask FSA about others when I call them today. Stay tuned.

J

JRB

FSA tech guy wouldn't say that they will work, but did say that the spindle diameters are the same. Seems to me like it would work. The chainline is whacky, so I want to space it on the non drive side. Trouble is, they don't thread the non-drive side much. Race Face does, so I think I will try theirs.

J

JRB

Burley's thread made me think of this. I am running a Race Face Diablous (or whatever it is) with FSA V drives, and it works fine. I needed more spacers on the non drive to get the chainline right, and the FSA cups wouldn't allow it. The race face does, and it is cool gold too.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I never tried FSA cups on my Truvativ Roleurs, but I just called Sram and they said that the spindle diameter is not the same as Shimano, FSA or Race Face. I suppose that the answer to the question, some 12 months later is that it won't work.

gearhead313

Chimp
Jan 9, 2011
this thread came up in my google search for compatibility between truvative cranks and fsa bottom brackets.

I am trying to use an FSA mega exo with my truvativ crankset and it DOES NOT WORK. Yes the spindle diameters are the same, but its where the non-drive side arm connects, there is some discrepencey and it leaves a lot of room making it not work. Just thought I would let everyone know.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Last I checked, Truvativ cranks are the only ones of the bunch that will NOT work with any other external BB's. Shimano's will slide through a Truvativ BB, but will have slop because the non driveside of the spindle very slightly tapers on the Shimano. BUT FSA, RaceFace, and Shimano BB's should be interchangeable.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Last I checked, Truvativ cranks are the only ones of the bunch that will NOT work with any other external BB's. Shimano's will slide through a Truvativ BB, but will have slop because the non driveside of the spindle very slightly tapers on the Shimano. BUT FSA, RaceFace, and Shimano BB's should be interchangeable.
Shimano and RF are totally cross compatible. Most FSA stuff is too, but they had to be morons and make a different standard for a few of their low end cranks. TV/Sram is a no go.