Quantcast

Can you wash a down comforter?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My down comforter has seen better days.

Two dogs, me, its getting kinda nasty.

Is there a way to wash or clean this thing?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yes. Make sure to put one or two new tennis balls into the dryer with it to prevent the down from clumping.
If possible, go to a dry cleaner with a large volume dryer and run it through a few times to make sure the feathers fully dry.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The label is looooonnnnggg since gone.

This comforter has seen some things no comforter should ever have to see. Its like Bart Simpson's dog...

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Washing it is straight forward as boogeman said "cold water, light detergent, light cycle" Its the drying thats a royal PIA. Ours took about 4 turns in the dryer to get it dry. I say pony up for the dry cleaner and let them worry about it.
The comforter cover thing (duvet) works well as long as the dogs aren't using the bed as a tree or otherwise getting on it wet. Its amazing the $hit you learn when you get married. Who would have thought a comforter cover......had to be a lazy woman who was sick of cleaning the comforter came up with that one.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
ok as a former industry wag, use Down specific soap only ex: Down Wash from REI or EMS. Large front load washer only, top load will shred it to pieces, wash in cold water with extra rinse press out as much water as you can. tumble dry low in the largest dryer you can find, tennis balls? yeah but you need a lot of em. stop the cycle frequently to pull the down clumps apart by hand. Make sure the down is totally dry or it will mold.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
ok as a former industry wag, use Down specific soap only ex: Down Wash from REI or EMS. Large front load washer only, top load will shred it to pieces, wash in cold water with extra rinse press out as much water as you can. tumble dry low in the largest dryer you can find, tennis balls? yeah but you need a lot of em. stop the cycle frequently to pull the down clumps apart by hand. Make sure the down is totally dry or it will mold.
Any powdered detergent is fine. Unscented and mild is best. (Dreft, etc) Liquid detergents have too powerful enzymes.

Front loader is ESSENTIAL. The bigger the better.

Dry on low, like....forever. I use to take my down sleeping bags to the cleaners that washed all the warranty items for North Face in Berkeley. He said he used plain powdered soap and the key was to dry the thing on low for at least 3 hours. The down will separate only when ALL the moisture is driven out. Too high heat will jack everything up, the fabric and down on the outer surfaces will cook but the down will stay clumped and moist on the inside. Low and slow is the way to go.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm lazy.

Finding a dry cleaner today who can handle my love stains.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Buy a new one you cheapskate. And buy a cover for it this time. And don't let the hookers on it. Have a second, cheap comforter for hooker time.

Never use your good linens on hookers. :disgust1:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yeaaa this is good info i have 1 comforter that has white stains on it, that one needs washing. Now my current one has white stains on it as well but i just have the white stains facing down. But i really need that one washed as well. I guess i should just bring 1 in at a time to the dry cleaners huh?

how much does that usually cost?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
yeaaa this is good info i have 1 comforter that has white stains on it, that one needs washing. Now my current one has white stains on it as well but i just have the white stains facing down. But i really need that one washed as well. I guess i should just bring 1 in at a time to the dry cleaners huh?

how much does that usually cost?
Did you really need to describe the seminal nature of your comforter's stains?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Maybe if they're action shots of how they got there involving some beautiful women.
i tried with the one on thursday night but apparently she was sober enough to say no to pictures.... washed those sheets friday morning, and by friday night i have more stains on my sheets. gotta wash them again, i hate laundry.