Quantcast

Canadian DH Womens (????) Champ

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I agree with 2nd place. Dumaresque still thinks like a guy. There are some things that are innate to men: A complete lack of self-preservation gene. Also, a different physiology and muscle structure.
CSA should not have thrown in a suspension, that's BS.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The Joker said:
I agree with 2nd place. Dumaresque still thinks like a guy. There are some things that are innate to men: A complete lack of self-preservation gene. Also, a different physiology and muscle structure.
CSA should not have thrown in a suspension, that's BS.
1 - No downhiller is happy she is there, man or woman. It was an olympic committee decision however and the CCA has to abide by it until the OC changes their minds. End of story.

2 - The suspension is valid. Danika acted like a complete and utter moron and made us all look like spoiled brats in front of a world wide audience at crankworx. She deserves what she gets. Everyone I have talked to said she deserved more than a 3 month ban in the off season, I agree.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I can see why second place was pissed off, but the shirt seems pretty rude. It led to... "the audience started screaming expletives at Dumaresq"

I'm pretty sure Dumaresq has enough crap to deal with.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It is not lost on me that there are some serious social issues with this whole deal. Some of which should not be taken lightly..........but

Damn...everytime I read anything about this all I can do is laugh.....heartily.
You could not write a funnier script for a Hollywood movie than this whole ordeal.
I just hope Will Farrell plays shim in the movie.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I found it humorous as well, I was surprised to see the serious comments... for what it's worth, I think the chick in 2nd has a legitimate gripe.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
cadmus said:
I found it humorous as well, I was surprised to see the serious comments... for what it's worth, I think the chick in 2nd has a legitimate gripe.
She might have a legitimate gripe, but how would you like to be embarassed on a national stage? Or attack someone for an obviously difficult change in her life?

It is not like Dumaresq got a sex change so she win the Canadian national championship. Long after her riding career is over, she will continue to deal with all kinds of crap.

I would advise anyone with a problem to read The World According to Garp. It is a funny book which one of the main characters is an ex-football player who becomes a transexual and has to deal with exactly this kind of crap.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
amydalayna said:
serious gripe, sure. but she should have handled it in a big kid way.
Agreed. Her method of protest was juvenile and completely disrespectful to her country, michelle, herself, and her sponsors. It pretty much just made everyone look bad.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
She might have a legitimate gripe, but how would you like to be embarassed on a national stage? Or attack someone for an obviously difficult change in her life?

It is not like Dumaresq got a sex change so she win the Canadian national championship. Long after her riding career is over, she will continue to deal with all kinds of crap.
Well said.

I just don't get what people think is really funny about the story. I'm not saying that Dumaresq should or should not be able to race girls. That's already been debated. I just think that the 2nd place girl was acting out of line.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DH Diva said:
Agreed. Her method of protest was juvenile and completely disrespectful to her country, michelle, herself, and her sponsors. It pretty much just made everyone look bad.
Completely agreed. Rob Jones from Canadian Cyclist wrote a great editorial piece on this a day or 2 after the whole ordeal. He basically called out all fo the downhillers who thought that this was a riot. I would have to completely agree.

In an era where it is hard enough to bring in any sort of worthwhile outside sponsorships, we cannot afford, as an industry, to have people making a mockery of something like a national championship podium. She doesn't like it because she has lost 2 years in a row. I can understand that, but act like a grown up and file some official written protests. Don't act like a spoiled brat who didn't her new shiny toy.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
There is no way that Michelle should be able to race at the national or world cup level. She might be a great person but it's just not fair. Sure Danika shouldn't have done what she did but can you tell me that you've never in your life done something dumb out of frustration. I totally forgive her actions and understand her poiint of view, I'm not saying it was right.

IMO ultimately the blame rides on Michelle for entering an unfair contest. She really should know better, I don't see why she'd want to put herself out there like that. Does she really feel she's earned those titles? Especially knowing everybody else thinks it's a joke.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
punkassean said:
There is no way that Michelle should be able to race at the national or world cup level. She might be a great person but it's just not fair. Sure Danika shouldn't have done what she did but can you tell me that you've never in your life done something dumb out of frustration. I totally forgive her actions and understand her poiint of view, I'm not saying it was right.

IMO ultimately the blame rides on Michelle for entering an unfair contest. She really should know better, I don't see why she'd want to put herself out there like that. Does she really feel she's earned those titles? Especially knowing everybody else thinks it's a joke.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty ticked off she can race as well. She protested and the olympic committee deliberated her being allowed to race. They decided they had to abide by the current regulations, and she would be allowed to race.

This may change as they are possibly looking at making your gender be decided by what is on your birth certificate. Until then, she has every right to race. Rules are rules.

edit: this also goes for danika, as she clearly broke a few UCI and CCA rules. They are outline din the racer handbook we all get. Something to the effect of making derogatory comments about another racer during an official event or something like that. I believe Rob also outlined that in the story he wrote.

Basically, she made downhiller everywhere, especially Canadians, look like complete assholes and spoiled brats. Act like a goddamn adult on an elite podium at national championships, not a 5 year old child.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Transcend said:
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty ticked off she can race as well. She protested and the olympic committee deliberated her being allowed to race. They decided they had to abide by the current regulations, and she would be allowed to race.

This may change as they are possibly looking at making your gender be decided by what is on your birth certificate. Until then, she has every right to race. Rules are rules.

Rules may be rules but this rule is without a doubt a technicality. I have little respect for people who hide behind technicalities. I believe in her heart she knows it's wrong to be competing. If there was a tranny class then cool, but there aren't enough trannies to justify having one so unitl there is IMO she's out of luck. It sucks to be a minority but we all have to deal with it at one point or another in our lives.

It's too bad she can't find satisfaction in riding her bike non-competitively or racing against the amatuer boys. In MX girls race with boys all the time and no one really complains.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
punkassean said:
Rules may be rules but this rule is without a doubt a technicality. I have little respect for people who hide behind technicalities. I believe in her heart she knows it's wrong to be competing. If there was a tranny class then cool, but there aren't enough trannies to justify having one so unitl there is IMO she's out of luck. It sucks to be a minority but we all have to deal with it at one point or another in our lives.

It's too bad she can't find satisfaction in riding her bike non-competitively or racing against the amatuer boys. In MX girls race with boys all the time and no one really complains.
It isn't a technicality. The rule states something along the lines of your competition sex is the same as the sex on your nationally issued ID. She is LEGALLY a woman, as far as the gov't is concerned.

LIke I said, I don't agree with it, but I do agree with everyone following the rules equally. They are there for a reason, just like the course tape.

edit: When they originally banned her from racing, she threatened to sue. Rule says any woman can race women's class. She is legally a woman. Her case would have been a slam dunk according to the big wig lawyers.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
punkassean said:
In MX girls race with boys all the time and no one really complains.
i do some bmx racing, and if there aren't enough girls you race the boys... that's just how it is.
but that's not how it is in mtn biking.
if there are no other girls... you are still competing in the girl's class. different sports, different rules.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Transcend said:
It isn't a technicality. The rule states something along the lines of your competition sex is the same as the sex on your nationally issued ID. She is LEGALLY a woman, as far as the gov't is concerned.

LIke I said, I don't agree with it, but I do agree with everyone following the rules equally. They are there for a reason, just like the course tape.

edit: When they originally banned her from racing, she threatened to sue. Rule says any woman can race women's class. She is legally a woman. Her case would have been a slam dunk according to the big wig lawyers.

exactly, a technicality in the context of the 2nd definition here. Meaning she qualifies as a woman on a technicality.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
You can protest with class or you can protest like an ass......I wonder which approach is going to get taken more seriously in the long run?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
DH Diva said:
You can protest with class or you can protest like an ass......I wonder which approach is going to get taken more seriously in the long run?
That is one part of the equation. As I said earlier, have you never done something out of frustration that you later realized wasn't the most effetive method? It wasn't right but it was failry excusable IMO.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
punkassean said:
That is one part of the equation. As I said earlier, have you never done something out of frustration that you later realized wasn't the most effetive method? It wasn't right but it was failry excusable IMO.
So, lets say you get a traffic ticket and you truely believe you didn't deserve it and that it wasn't fair. Do you get up in court and call the cop a smelly pig and expect to get it reduced or thrown out, or even to be taken at all seriously? Is that excusable too? It's one approach for sure, but it's not the right approach and you can't expect anything but negative consequences for acting like that, even if your right.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
DH Diva said:
So, lets say you get a traffic ticket and you truely believe you didn't deserve it and that it wasn't fair. Do you get up in court and call the cop a smelly pig and expect to get it reduced or thrown out, or even to be taken at all seriously? Is that excusable too? It's one approach for sure, but it's not the right approach and you can't expect anything but negative consequences for acting like that, even if your right.
I doubt if one would get up in court and make those remarks however in the heat of the moment, say while the officer was writing the ticket, I can see accidentally letting something slip that you might later regret.

I personally work hard not to do these type of things but I understand how they can happen. I never said what she did was right, I just feel it's fairly excuseable.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Potroast88 said:
I support Michelle 100 percent......it takes a lot of balls to deal with this kind of stuff.
Dude, it takes to balls to kill someone, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do and you should support it.

Elaborate, why do you think it's worthy of supporting other than requiring bravery?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
punkassean said:
Dude, it takes to balls to kill someone, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do and you should support it.

Elaborate, why do you think it's worthy of supporting other than requiring bravery?
He was joking dude. Surely you can see that. :)

Kinda like,
"Dealing with that kind of drama will make you worry your nuts off, eh?"

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Transcend said:
Danika acted like a complete and utter moron and made us all look like spoiled brats in front of a world wide audience at crankworx. She deserves what she gets. Everyone I have talked to said she deserved more than a 3 month ban in the off season, I agree.
Wearing the shirt was in bad taste, yes. But it's not like she did it out of the blue. She's tried protesting and it got her nowhere. Sometimes when people won't listen, you change your tone of voice.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
punkassean said:

I have never been fully supportive of Dumaresq's racing. She has obvious advantages that do not need to be reiterated.

But this issue has been resolved by UCI and the Canadian cycling federation, which allows her to race. As a professional racer, do you abide by the ruling of your governing body, or act like a spoiled brat backed by hundreds of your friends?

Does it feel good to mess with an individual without much of a support system?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sanjuro said:
I have never been fully supportive of Dumaresq's racing. She has obvious advantages that do not need to be reiterated.

But this issue has been resolved by UCI and the Canadian cycling federation, which allows her to race. As a professional racer, do you abide by the ruling of your governing body, or act like a spoiled brat backed by hundreds of your friends?

Does it feel good to mess with an individual without much of a support system?
Just to be clear, she was backed by her boyfriend who provided the tshirt and heckled them during the podium ceremony. NOT hundreds of her friends.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Transcend said:
Just to be clear, she was backed by her boyfriend who provided the tshirt and heckled them during the podium ceremony. NOT hundreds of her friends.
I appreciate the actual story.

I realize that people do things and it takes time to reflect upon it. I would not have let that t-shirt pass, but when it happened, I might not have thought much about it.

On the other hand, no one told her to take it off, right?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sanjuro said:
I appreciate the actual story.

I realize that people do things and it takes time to reflect upon it. I would not have let that t-shirt pass, but when it happened, I might not have thought much about it.

On the other hand, no one told her to take it off, right?
It was too late by the time they figured out what it said. The podium deal was an up and down sort of thing.