Quantcast

Canadian DH Womens (????) Champ

T23

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
I still haven't seen michelle beat the top world cup women, so it should be more of an incentive for the canadian women to train harder and beat michelle.... Just my 2 cents

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Echo said:
Wearing the shirt was in bad taste, yes. But it's not like she did it out of the blue. She's tried protesting and it got her nowhere. Sometimes when people won't listen, you change your tone of voice.
Pic of said shirt? This is the first I'm ehearing of this.... :o:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Speaking as a one-time sponsor of racers [back in the day] I'd be thoroughly encouraged NOT to re-sponsor Schroeter for two reasons:

1) Conduct Unbecoming. Period. Don't care about the protests. Was this the first time she'd ever encountered Dumaresq? It's not like she's an unknown, fer God's sake. She's been there for years. There's a different forum for that, take it there.

No, it's not forgivable for a Professional [not an Amateur, a Noob, a Sport, a Beginner - a Fukken PRO!] to behave like that.

That's WHY THEY'RE PRO'S!!

2) The Tee-Shirt hides my logos. What the hell am I paying her for?

Finally, as someone else pointed out, that scrumptious extra different chromosome, 'Y' - gave her one whole second advantage!

Oh my God!

A whole f'n sixtieth of a Minute?

I'm gonna take my Y-chromosome and go and conquer a small country to be named later...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Thanks Amydalayna...

And I've got to agree 100% with ALL of this!

Nobody said:
Speaking as a one-time sponsor of racers [back in the day] I'd be thoroughly encouraged NOT to re-sponsor Schroeter for two reasons:

1) Conduct Unbecoming. Period. Don't care about the protests. Was this the first time she'd ever encountered Dumaresq? It's not like she's an unknown, fer God's sake. She's been there for years. There's a different forum for that, take it there.

No, it's not forgivable for a Professional [not an Amateur, a Noob, a Sport, a Beginner - a Fukken PRO!] to behave like that.

That's WHY THEY'RE PRO'S!!

Finally, as someone else pointed out, that scrumptious extra different chromosome, 'Y' - gave her one whole second advantage!

Oh my God!

I'm gonna take my Y-chromosome and go and conquer a small country to be named later...

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
This topic has been beat to death on just about every board.

The fact that this topic is generating so much debate tells me the issue may not have been handled the best way?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
This again? I'm starting to think that there ar no bigger whiners and complainers in the world than Canadian women DH racers. This has been hashed and rehashed many times over the past few years. Get over it.
Bullitrider said:
This topic has been beat to death on just about every board.

The fact that this topic is generating so much debate tells me the issue may not have been handled the best way?
I think it just shows how much bigotry and hate there is in the world and how some people are so petty and small minded that they have to berate and belittle other people in a vain attempt at at repairing their own fragile and cracked self esteem.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Martin Luther King Jr broke the law too. Sometimes going through the proper procedures does not yield a re-evaluation of a law. In many cases it doesn't even raise an eyebrow to the gross injustice at hand.

edit: It's unfortunate some of you feel that raising the awareness of this issue yet again is petty, vain, narrow-minded, etc. "Professional" racing. Not amateur.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
tmx said:
Martin Luther King Jr broke the law too. Sometimes going through the proper procedures does not yield a re-evaluation of a law. In many cases it doesn't even raise an eyebrow to the gross injustice at hand.

edit: It's unfortunate some of you feel that raising the awareness of this issue yet again is petty, vain, narrow-minded, etc. "Professional" racing. Not amateur.
Raising the issue is not petty, complaining about her for the umpteenth time is. And let's be honest here, no one is raising any awareness with this thread. We're just beating a dead horse - again.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I'm not sure we're complaining about her. I don't. I don't blame her for the ruling. I blame the Olympic/CCA decision-makers.

And if you don't want to read about it don't click the thread. It's a serious issue that deserves attention here on our not-so-little Monkey as well as the Olympic board. The latter of which will now get another letter from me on the topic. Actually seems a bit (surprisingly) narrow-minded of you to think the monkey does not have the ability to raise awareness. We have a lot of new members, many new women on here too. I disagree about beating the dead horse.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
amydalayna said:
you are comparing someone racing DH post-sex change to killing someone?

a little crass, don't you think?
not even comparing the two. That would be way crass for sure. I was trying to point out that just because something "takes balls" doesn't necessarily mean it's right. But I guess the person who's comment I was referring to was just making a joke anyway and I failed to realize it.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Nobody said:

Oh my God!

If anything it's the absolute opposite of that. This has brought way more attention to the t-shirt and the sponsor that is printed on it. No such thing as bad publicity...

The Y chromosome thing...uh doubleyouteeff are you talking about.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
konabiker said:
If anything it's the absolute opposite of that. This has brought way more attention to the t-shirt and the sponsor that is printed on it. No such thing as bad publicity...
Really? I won't do business with Cove until Danika Schroeter makes an apology, and I won't recommend their bikes to anyone.

This might be a drop in a bucket, but if enough rain falls...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
konabiker said:

The Y chromosome thing...uh doubleyouteeff are you talking about.

Cove bikes is just one of her sponsors. They don't even list her on their own website under 'team'.

However, by wearing the T-Shirt [not even a jersey], Maxxis, Troy Lee, SRAM, Rock Shox, WTB, Dakine, Sun-Ringle, FSA, Truvativ, Avid were obscured.

I'm sure you don't care about this. Most racers/riders who don't have sponsorship agreements don't even know what I'm on about. However, those few who do issue a collective groan every time something like this happens because it makes it a lot harder for them to get more sponsorship in the future.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I agree w/ nobdy re: Danika. I would be hesitant to re-up her sponsorships because of her actions. That being said, I don't care if Dumaresque is on massive amounts of estrogen, until she starts racing with the boys (see semi-pro) I would not offer her sponsorship.
Girls race girls, guys race guys. If it is unclear which way you are, you race in the harder category.
ie. If you are in between sport and expert, where do you race? Sport where you will probably win, or expert where you might get whooped? I always go up if I am dominant in one category.
Dumaresque is dominant in Cad womens racing, time to move up to the men, since it's 50% there already...

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
What gets me about the whole thing is the name-calling. I saw Michelle race at Snowshoe, WV, a couple years back and heard, with embarrassment, spectators call her "he-she-it" and so forth. Didn't we learn in grade school that all that did was make us look bad? So now Danika and her supporters look bad. Got what she deserved.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
How come this will only fly in cycling? So if I got my main man chopped, I could go lift for the US Weight lifting team in the Olympics....???

/\ just a random yet valid scenario.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
rockymt21 said:
How come this will only fly in cycling? So if I got my main man chopped, I could go lift for the US Weight lifting team in the Olympics....???

/\ just a random yet valid scenario.
No one gets sexual reassignment surgery on a whim, or to compete in an easier category.

That is why they have the term sandbag.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ok, so what if the case was the same as Michelle's. I seriously doubt it would fly....

I was just using that as a scenario.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
rockymt21 said:
Ok, so what if the case was the same as Michelle's. I seriously doubt it would fly....

I was just using that as a scenario.
Well she used to race DH as a man.
Then she had a sex change.
Now she races as a female.
Sucessfully.
Oh, the humanity.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Jeremy R said:
Well she used to race DH as a man.
Then she had a sex change.
Now she races as a female.
Sucessfully.
Oh, the humanity.
I know, but do you think it would pass as easily in any other *more commercial* olympic sport?

Doubt it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Both of them are acting like jackasses.

There's no reason for the yelling out slurs or wearing the shirt, but Dumaresq is clearly gaming the system.

I'm not really feeling bad for either one of them, to be honest...

edit: The boyfriend also sounds like quite the douche.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
rockymt21 said:
I know, but do you think it would pass as easily in any other *more commercial* olympic sport?

Doubt it.
No, I was agreeing with you.
The situation's absurdity is where I find the humor in this.
I do feel sorry for the person, because she is having to go through a
ton of crap over this. I just hope she has some kind of cool, twisted sense of humor when she stands up on that women's podium with that smirk on her face.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
The thing that bothers me about the situation is that Danika and others had no problem with Michelle when she started racing. Because when she started racing she wasn't very good. It took a couple of years for her to start beating the top canadian women, and she still gets beat in the USA, and abroad quite handily. They started complaining when she started to get faster.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
DH Diva said:
The thing that bothers me about the situation is that Danika and others had no problem with Michelle when she started racing. Because when she started racing she wasn't very good. It took a couple of years for her to start beating the top canadian women, and she still gets beat in the USA, and abroad quite handily. They started complaining when she started to get faster.
Thats true...to a point.

But if you think about it, Michelles progression could quite possibly go beyond Danika and others. She has more muscle mass and ability to go beyond that of a womans figure. So I understand where they are coming from, because before they didn't have anything to worry about. But Michelle has the "possibility" of the unfair advantage if she continues to train....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
rockymt21 said:
Thats true...to a point.

But if you think about it, Michelles progression could quite possibly go beyond Danika and others. She has more muscle mass and ability to go beyond that of a womans figure. So I understand where they are coming from, because before they didn't have anything to worry about. But Michelle has the "possibility" of the unfair advantage if she continues to train....
Don't forget: the point of this thread is not whether Michelle should race or not. I am unsure as well about her validity to race as well.

What the problem is is that another racer embarassed herself and her country by doing something classless on a national podium.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yeah that was dumb. But on the other hand got the point across.

Sorry for derailing the thread I read the 1st couple posts then skipped all the others. ;)

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Okay, here's some points...

N8 - die, you gravy-sucking pig. That's for the 'What's Canada' thing... Thanks, ya bastid.

moving right along...

Here's the Clinch: If Michelle is such a world dominating podium-crushing XY SRS-on-a-whim competitor, how come she's never placed above 10th on the world circuit?

Is that because the other top 9 are ALSO XY woMEN? NO! NO it's because those other XX WOmen are better DH'r's than she is.

I know that's beyond some of your comprehensions, but let's put this another way:

Would a 5'8" male have to work harder to play PRO BASKETBALL against the 6'8"-7' average male players who already do?

No? Do you understand physics at all?

Here's the rub - ALL PHYSICAL SPORTS FAVOR THE MOST PHYSICALLY COMPETENT COMPETITOR.

Now, I admit, there IS an argument that Michelle has had some early advantage in her physical development than some women. My most recent girlfriend, for instance.

She's only 5'2" tall and about 110lbs. She'd be mutilated in a death-match with Michelle.

And also with Dankia. And Missy Giove [remember her?] and likely Juli Furtado [XC Pioneer of goddesslike stature!]

Should we begin eliminating people from competition because they are naturally gifted for that sport? Aren't we all supposed to be created equal?

Oh yeah - Good idea. Read "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut. Should explain some of my viewpoints.

No, that would require some of the gifted people to use their smarter brains... oh the hell with it.

Kill 'em both and let God sort this out.

Oh, but kill the dumbass boyfriend first. He's the biggest idiot.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Nobody said:
Should we begin eliminating people from competition because they are naturally gifted for that sport? Aren't we all supposed to be created equal?
This is only an issue if there is some reason that Dumaresq isn't allowed to compete on the men's side.

Is that part of the issue?

Agreed totally on the boyfriend, btw...

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
elRey said:
Why can't they just make a separate class for her? I'm actually curious.
Theres no competition.

She could become a lard, walk the bike down the hill and still win. :nopity:

elRey

Turbo Monkey
rockymt21 said:
Theres no competition.

She could become a lard, walk the bike down the hill and still win. :nopity:
Yeah, but some people think the way she is winning now isn't very fair either. At least people woudn't be getting pissed off and she could still compare her times to whatever class she wanted. IDK.:nopity:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Echo said:
But if you had never heard of Cove Bikes, you would have now.
I don't think that Cove has any problems with this particular situation.

Quite frankly, they are a fun bunch of bandits [next couple of names for their road bike line will be Cunniligus (Men's HeteroGeometry,) Fellatio (Woman's HeteroGeometry,) and for a new cruiser class BMX: Pederasty (Adult BMX).

However, I still disagree with the abuse of the podium. Period.