Quantcast

Canadian Monkeys - Online Shops

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I thought I had made this thread before, but I guess not?

Figured I'd start a list of good online shops that we use and what their benefits might be - ie, free shipping, hard to find spare parts etc

Others, no personal experience:

Shops outside of Canada:

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Who has the downlow on what shops in Europe have good prices on Shimano stuff and will ship to Canada?
No Euro shops will ship either SRAM or Shimano into North America on pain of losing their lines. The last thing I was able to source was some XTR trail pedals from R2-Bike about 3 or 4 years ago.

@slimshady has it down. I have dealt with all of those shops with no issues and would add https://www.bike-components.de/en/ to the list.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
My experiences :

•Bicicletta: used them quite a few times when they had 5$ shipping. Quick service and shipping, but their prices are pretty much msrp.

•Gearhub : they have great deals sometimes and I have nothing bad to say!

•Bike24 : quick shipping to Canada, great customer service, price guarantee after purchase. The shipping is now 30€ to Canada but it's still worth it when ordering a few things. Magura/DT/Continental prices are unbeatable.They DHL which forward to CanadaPost so I only pay duties and taxes once every 2-3 orders. They had free shipping a few times before covid, but that hasn since then.

•r2-bike : Same as Bike24, I've only had great experiences.

•bike-discount:I've used them when the other shops did not have what I was looking for, but only once or twice.

•Chain Reaction : still order from them when they have great deals.It's usually quick to get the items and hassle-free, but recently they started shipping things in simple bags, so I might be wary of that for more fragile items.

•Merlin Cycles : they ship Shimano to Canada and sometimes have great deals. The only EU shop to still doit I think. I just bought a fr/rr set of TRP Slate Evo brakes and 4 rotors (203mm) for 200$cdn including shipping, so they sometimes have great deals too.

•Bike-components.de : I've used them a few times and was always served well.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Your best bet might be the Race Face Aeffect R with 24mm spindle in 165mm. I just installed some with a cheap steel Shi12 RF ring and they seem pretty decent.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Your best bet might be the Race Face Aeffect R with 24mm spindle in 165mm. I just installed some with a cheap steel Shi12 RF ring and they seem pretty decent.
I have a Race Face Turbine set on it now, it'll have to be Shimano if I replace it.

I hate single high torque bolt cranks...

Reason I'm looking is I got a 210mm dropper for the new frame, but it's just a smidgen too tall. I either measured wrong or I measured it on my old frame - new frame might have slightly less insert depth? I dunno...

Luckily the seatpost is just a hair too tall, so shorter cranks should do it. And there's still a foot or two of snow out there, so it's not like I can ride anyways.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah I always prefer Shimano cranks too. I got the Aeffect R for half price so I ordered them, and the self-extracting bolt isn't that bad in the end. Unfortunately, 165mm Shimano cranks of all levels seem hard to find these days. I've been looking for little while and have not seen anything come back in stock.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a Race Face Turbine set on it now, it'll have to be Shimano if I replace it.

I hate single high torque bolt cranks...

Reason I'm looking is I got a 210mm dropper for the new frame, but it's just a smidgen too tall. I either measured wrong or I measured it on my old frame - new frame might have slightly less insert depth? I dunno...

Luckily the seatpost is just a hair too tall, so shorter cranks should do it. And there's still a foot or two of snow out there, so it's not like I can ride anyways.
Can you run a lower profile seat? I had to get a taller one when I had the E Reverb because my usual seat would do Morse Code on the head as you rode.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I must do a little shout out to FC Moto in Germany https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Bicycle

About a year ago I was in the market for a bike bag. After trying various shops in every nook and cranny of the Internet it was these guys who finally shipped me an EVOC bag, 10% off with shipping very reasonable given the size and only took a week door to door. After having more than a few shops take my order then cancel it later these guys had a refreshing approach. After I inquired whether they will actually ship it, not just say they will they said "if you can put it in your cart we will ship it". They were good to their word. They only really stock helmet, gloves, jackets etc for bikes but still no hesitation in recommending them. As far as I know they ship everywhere.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Here's another shop: https://www.ridleys.com/

Appears to be a place out of Alberta.

Use code "email10" for $10 discount.

Free shipping over $99.

They have a good selection of Maxxis tires in stock and for same price or cheaper than Tbsbikeparts.com.

And they have Maxxis DHR2 27.5 in doubledown in stock, in different casings.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They have some great prices on some stuff...

170mm XT cranks for $168

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
haven't used them, but they're in my bookmarks for some reason.

Same with Dunbar: https://www.dunbarcycles.com/

shout-out to my LBS' side-hustle: https://wovenprecision.com/ lots of people I know run their rims and are very happy. They are also a good source for hard-to-find fat-bike wheel stuff.

I must do a little shout out to FC Moto in Germany https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Bicycle
They only really stock helmet, gloves, jackets etc for bikes but still no hesitation in recommending them. As far as I know they ship everywhere.
Can recommend also. prices are great, and process is no nonsense. I bought heated socks from them a while back.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
just used fortnine for some discounted evoc bags, not the fastest delivery, but also not the slowest. Unfortunately the plastic sewn in piece that received the boa strap on one of the bags ripped out immediately on tightening minutes after I opened the package....ugh

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Fortnine are the best! I accidentally damaged (the helmet's fault, but stil) a 400$ Leatt helmet and they took it back without any fuss. Also gave me a refund after they lowered the price on another helmet I had just bought. They truly are great!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Here's another shop: https://www.ridleys.com/

Appears to be a place out of Alberta.

Use code "email10" for $10 discount.

Free shipping over $99.

They have a good selection of Maxxis tires in stock and for same price or cheaper than Tbsbikeparts.com.

And they have Maxxis DHR2 27.5 in doubledown in stock, in different casings.
:thumb:
Just ordered a 29" DD DHRII.
On sale for 102.00 and the coupon worked.
In Stock - Lets see how long shipping takes. :bonk:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:thumb:
Just ordered a 29" DD DHRII.
On sale for 102.00 and the coupon worked.
In Stock - Lets see how long shipping takes. :bonk:
They called me the other day about my 27" DD DHR2. I was shocked, a bike shop following up and calling?!

They said they didn't have it in stock and were bringing it in from somewhere, so it'd be a few days. They offered to ship out the rest of my order, but I said no rush and just ship it all out at once. And now I forget what I ordered...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
They called me the other day about my 27" DD DHR2. I was shocked, a bike shop following up and calling?!

They said they didn't have it in stock and were bringing it in from somewhere, so it'd be a few days. They offered to ship out the rest of my order, but I said no rush and just ship it all out at once. And now I forget what I ordered...
Well that is promising.
They must be new and still excited and not yet old and jaded. :rofl:
Now, I'm curious and wondering what Beer had you buy. :headbang:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Another tumbs up for FullCycle! I needed some TRP barb and olives and a OneUp V2 storage tool that they didn't have on their website/in stock. On the live chat, Matti told me he'd order it and ship it with the TRP stuff when the gets the OneUp part. It was seamless and he made me conviently pay by an email invoice. I didn't even have to pay any shipping since he bundled those so that the total was over 30$. That's pretty incredible, first class service.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
TBS sent wrong tire. Xpress shipping me the right one since we're leaving early next week. Awesome responsiveness from Trevor.

received_891736761940374.jpeg

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

In stock must actually mean in stock.
Ridleys has shipped the tire, so now it is the hands of brown santa.

You remember yet what Beer had you order? :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
In stock must actually mean in stock.
Ridleys has shipped the tire, so now it is the hands of brown santa.

You remember yet what Beer had you order? :D
It appears to be a Shimano chain ring, bottom bracket and a set of Maxxis DD tires that I'll use for out of province excursions.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It appears to be a Shimano chain ring, bottom bracket and a set of Maxxis DD tires that I'll use for out of province excursions.
I'm the same, the DD is for playing away from home.
You going to 'shoe this year? I didn't even make it up once last year, ended up in Mass and Quebec instead. We have a guy planning on coming to Thunder with us, who has never been on anything other than the Pines or Turkey Point. Thinking of dragging him up for an introduction to lift riding, a week or so before we head down, but don't think it would really give him any idea on what he is in for. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm the same, the DD is for playing away from home.
You going to 'shoe this year? I didn't even make it up once last year, ended up in Mass and Quebec instead. We have a guy planning on coming to Thunder with us, who has never been on anything other than the Pines or Turkey Point. Thinking of dragging him up for an introduction to lift riding, a week or so before we head down, but don't think it would really give him any idea on what he is in for. :rofl:
I'll probably go to the Horseshoe once or twice, but I didn't bother getting a pass this year. I just can't stomach $400+ for THAT. And they aren't doing much in return for that price.

Our group rides across the street from Horseshoe every Wednesday so I'm sure it'll cause some rifts. Two of us are just going to ride trails instead of the park this year. Not a huge loss, we can still meet our buddies in the parking lot for beverages and just climb the hill if needed.

Yeah Horseshoe isn't a good intro to..........anything. :rofl:

If you come up and are feeling it or bring the trail bike, the trails on the ski hill across the street are much better. Nice single track and not sandy. We could show yall around.

This is across the street....way better than Horseshoe :)

Theres also the shits and giggles trails up near Thornbury that you can shuttle....but thats a long ass drive for you. Not very technical, but steep as heck and bigger hill than Blue.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Bicicletta had a nice sale on wear items last week.

Ordered on thursday, delivered on the next tuesday (across the country). Pretty awesome!

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
bicicletta rocks the service / delivery time, and they're great people that run a tight ship (really nice, well organized shop). even though they're 15mins away, i've been known to be lazy & get free same day delivery. regular pricing isn't the cheapest, but they often have solid sales (ie, i bought my last set of maxxgrip maxxis @ $60/ea). recommended.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yep, I used them quite a bit when they had 5$ shipping in Canada even if there were no sales. Super helful and friendly staff too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Received another small order from Full Cycle.

I forgot one other pro; they send candy with their orders.

I mean it's not Haribo's like whichever European shop sent those, but still. :busted:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I should almost take MEC off this list. Man their selection has dwindled to almost nothing over the last year or two.

Are they doing that on purpose?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Since they gave away my 260$ social part to the Company without my consent (like all the other coop members'), I find that it's a great place to go try stuff in store that I'll buy online afterwards from somewhere else without feeling bad at all !! Like 7mesh merino shirts that I bought direct from 7mesh instead afterwards.

I still bought a Smith helmet at 50% off a few weeks ago and still get the odd thing when it's on clearance, but I try to shop there the least possible now since the sell-out. They don't have much anymore anyway, especially online. Most times they have more selection in store, but it's a selection that's useless for me anyway.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Since they gave away my 260$ social part to the Company without my consent (like all the other coop members'), I find that it's a great place to go try stuff in store that I'll buy online afterwards from somewhere else without feeling bad at all !! Like 7mesh merino shirts that I bought direct from 7mesh instead afterwards.

I still bought a Smith helmet at 50% off a few weeks ago and still get the odd thing when it's on clearance, but I try to shop there the least possible now since the sell-out. They don't have much anymore anyway, especially online. Most times they have more selection in store, but it's a selection that's useless for me anyway.
Yeah true, I haven't really looked into what happened with the company but I heard rumblings from others.

I basically just go there for socks and boots.

Though I had to price match the boots I got last time and what an ordeal that what. It took them like 15-20 minutes to gather proof that my price match source was real.