Quantcast

Canberra 4X track - just a little slice of awesome

pinkgoat

Chimp
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
Everything at Stromlo is a lot better that last year, there has been heaps of work going on lately, especially the DH/4X. The 4X track is looking pretty good except for the fcuking sand pit and the jump with a hole in the middle:think:.

Can't wait, the whole weekend will be epic!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Yawn.... Looks like another groomed BMX course with a 6 foot long "boulder field" and some smooth moguls.

We've gotten to the point where I would say that the trend in track design for 4X and slalom is to make big BMX tracks with the occasional "cheesy" man made "mountain bike" sections. People complain, but if the sport wanted to go in another direction, it surely would have at this point. It is what it is, an even smaller niche sport than downhill. I would gander that the reason that many of us on this forum have done either is due to the convenience that 4X and slalom racing are done together with downhill events.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
I would gander that the reason that many of us on this forum have done either is due to the convenience that 4X and slalom racing are done together with downhill events.
I agree. Without 4X being in close proximity, I might not have tried it. Having raced a few 4X races this year, I can say I am hooked. From the spectator point of view, watching 4X on freecaster or in person is far more exciting than watching DH. It may be a niche sport, but I believe that if we want more interest in biking from big dollar sponsors, the spectators will have to come first.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I agree. Without 4X being in close proximity, I might not have tried it. Having raced a few 4X races this year, I can say I am hooked. From the spectator point of view, watching 4X on freecaster or in person is far more exciting than watching DH. It may be a niche sport, but I believe that if we want more interest in biking from big dollar sponsors, the spectators will have to come first.
More exciting than DH? Uhhh, no. People seem to think that is the case for the "un-educated" spectator but I still think not. I have watched every WC on freecaster this season and not a single viewing of boreX. Maybe it's the fact that, someone is ALWAYS bitching about something, races are won by questionable tactics and or the second turn, or there is no notable personalities in the sport. It is a decent opportunity to hang out and drink beers with other riders if you happen to be at the venue, but other than that, free up the money and use it to grow DH.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I dunno, I don't want to rag on the sport or the people that compete in it, but it is a very small niche sport and unless there is a change in culture (something that takes time), all anyone can hope for is that viewership and exposure can be maximized. Luckily with new technology and media mediums (Freezecaster), that seems to be improving.

With regard to the tracks, it is what it is. Clearly, if riders, promoters, and cycling organizations wanted something different, it would be by now. I always hear people complain about the tracks being over-glorified (actually maybe under...) BMX tracks, but nothing has really changed, so what does that mean?

I just get a hoot out of the people that scream for a change of format from 4X to slalom or that by changing component X, Y, or Z it will become a larger more spectator friendly sport. Pushing 4X and slalom down people's throats is kind of like pushing soccer in the US or the WNBA. It's just not happening.

4X and slalom aren't really my cup of tea, but as long as there are people out there that enjoy it, more power to you all :thumb:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
No, there seems to be about 3 or 4 people who really dig it. They can fill a gate and all race each other.

-ska todd

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
If you like watching 4X then MX is alot more entertaining. While 4X often looks slow (I know it's fast in reality but on TV it just looks slow), MX on the other hand has good speed, long battles between riders, huge jumps, more riders on the track and at the start grid etc, it makes for better TV imo. That's why I think 4X might have a tougher time get TV-time. Of course both 4X and DH have TV-potential, just as good as skiing which get plenty of TV-time.

I think the Vigo 4x looked alot better than this track too.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Um.. "this section is un-rideable. You must jump it" So... how is that not BMX? If it was mtb focused, there would be no sweet burmed around lines. It would avtually be forced mtb technical riding...

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
If it was mtb focused, there would be no sweet burmed around lines. It would avtually be forced mtb technical riding...
Not to extend a silly argument farther than needed, but the only bike racing I have seen that is devoid of sweet berms it XC racing. I don't believe you intended that to be your point, but you should clarify.

Most 4X tracks I have seen do build on the BMX form, but add in multiple obstacles that test different abilities. I was delighted to see the Sol Vista nationals course had obstacles that challenged the best gate snappers and huckers. For a 30 second race, I don?t think you can find a more technical course short of some sort of
through the untamed wilderness.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
The St Anne course this year had some good stuff in it. The first (natural) rock garden caused a ton of flat tires for all and was pretty interesting to watch.

Bromont also had a pretty decent rock garden in the middle, it is unfortunate that they removed all the interesting line options for the finals. There was a way to cut the berm, and skim over the last flag before the toilet bowl, but the flags were moved for finals...bleh.

Ah well, I would like to see more variety for line choices...so not everyone goes single file down the run on the one "fast" line.

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I like it...not a 4x fan but the moguls look pretty sweet and at least they are making an effort to add some options. Line choice will be just as important as power and skills.

Adjunkie

Chimp
Dec 19, 2007
More exciting than DH? Uhhh, no. People seem to think that is the case for the "un-educated" spectator but I still think not. I have watched every WC on freecaster this season and not a single viewing of boreX. Maybe it's the fact that, someone is ALWAYS bitching about something, races are won by questionable tactics and or the second turn, or there is no notable personalities in the sport. It is a decent opportunity to hang out and drink beers with other riders if you happen to be at the venue, but other than that, free up the money and use it to grow DH.
pretty sure the reasoning behind that statement is it's more exciting for spectators because they can see the entire (or most) of the course from a single vantage point; conversely, when watching a dh race, a spectator has to pick one part of the course to watch.

Think of every sport that has big money in it. Nearly every one of them can be viewed in an arena. If only mtb had the money to go around that football, baseball, basketball, etc have....

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
personally they have some very stupid lines on the WC finals course. why offer an inside line if theres no way of clearing the next jump? who are they trying to kid? and the sand pit jump? thats really dumb too, some of the girl riders cant jump the whole thing, so your going to make them ride thru sand? great idea!!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
4x is getting a lot better IMHO. It's basically going to end up as 4-man DH short-course. Which will be ****ing dangerous, but great viewing :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I remember the days at Seven Springs, Helen, Mt. Snow, Snowshoe where amateur slalom qualifying lasting from 1-5pm and the stream of riders going down was endless! That's the only justification a promoter should need to totally ignore Mountainfourskincrossdressercourse if they're not puttin on a World Cup. So go local...race slalom, get ridership.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
personally they have some very stupid lines on the WC finals course. why offer an inside line if theres no way of clearing the next jump? who are they trying to kid? and the sand pit jump? thats really dumb too, some of the girl riders cant jump the whole thing, so your going to make them ride thru sand? great idea!!
My thoughts exactly.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sure. My 575 is in commuter clothes now, but if you want to hit up tamo let me know.
Yeah, actually that would be great. I'm getting married next week, but I'm down for September. I don't know tam very well, but I'd love to check it out, especially if you're familiar.