Quantcast

Cancellara rides into the history books

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Swiss time trial machine Fabian Cancellara made history today in Geelong, Australia, by becoming the first cyclist to win four time trial World Championship titles. 2010 marks the second consecutive year Cancellara has won riding the Specialized Shiv and Body Geometry S-Works shoes. </p><p>
</p><p>
"I am really happy. It was maybe the hardest of the four," said Cancellara after he dominated another Worlds. </p><p>
</p><p>
"I came here not exactly 100 percent. After the Vuelta, though, I focused on giving 100 percent on this hard parcours. I didn't expect this would really be so hard, but I have learned over the years that even when people say it is not so bad, that it is better to just wait and see."</p><p>
</p><p>
Cancellara took a tactical approach to the course in Geelong's 45.6-kilometer course. He approached the first lap of two at an easier pace, then, on the second lap, he pushed with the same force that earned him his titles in 2006, 2007, and last year.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I tried not to ride too fast in the beginning," added Cancellara, "because I knew it would be hard at the end."</p><p>
</p><p>
In the end, he had just over a minute on his closest competitor, Britain's David Millar. Germany's Tony Martin finished in third at 1'12" behind.</p><p>
</p><p>
Cancellara's Saxo Bank teammates rode well, too, with Australian Richie Porte finishing just off the podium in fourth and Swede Gustav Larsson finishing in 10th.</p><p>
</p><p>
"My motivation today was to make history and that is what helped me stay focused after the Vuelta a España. It was the hardest of the four, for sure. I was nervous the other day and this morning,” he said.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I have high ambitions, and when you win Flanders and Roubaix, you want to go back to find that same strength and feeling. It is to find it, to be 100 percent. That was the reason I pulled out of the Vuelta a España early, to relax at home and give myself more time to recover from the jet lag in Australia."</p><p>
</p><p>
Cancellara’s strategy paid off. He goes down in the history books for being the only cyclist to win four time trial titles, one more than Australian Michael Rogers. This benchmark win adds to Cancellara's long list of achievements in cycling: Milano-Sanremo, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix twice, an Olympic gold, and seven stage wins and 21 days in yellow at the Tour de France.</p><p>
What's next?</p><p>
</p><p>
"Ask me this when I have had my rest, after my holiday. For the moment, I have won everything a time trial rider can win. When the season starts again, there will be new challenges and new motivations."</p><p>
Cancellara will swap his Shiv for a Tarmac SL3 in the Men’s Elite Road Race on Oct. 3rd.</p>

More...