Cancelled or canceled?

Which is your preferred grammar?

• Total voters

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What do you prefer?

Yeah yeah, I know..another poll. But this is not a reaction to the 426 hygiene polls. I'm actually curious as to what the preference is here.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
PonySoldier said:
Neither is incorrect... both usages are indicated in Merriam-Webster...I prefer "cancelled"
I changed the question in my first post. I did not mean to use the word "correct" since I believe neither of them are incorrect. I meant to ask your preference.

Sorry DRB...I just tried to change the poll to allow multiple voting and I can't. :mumble:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey, you ever see that SNL skit with Christopher Walken singing while supposedly reading the teleprompter?

"You say tomato, I say tomato. You say potato, I say potato. Tomato, tomato, potato, potato..."

:rofl:

No, huh? :think:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Cancelled actually follows the grammar rules...it's my preference. Seems like any word can get in the dictionary these days. "Doh" is now a word thanks to Matt Groening.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I Are Baboon said:
I changed the question in my first post. I did not mean to use the word "correct" since I believe neither of them are incorrect. I meant to ask your preference.

Sorry DRB...I just tried to change the poll to allow multiple voting and I can't. :mumble:
fine moderator you are...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I didn't even know there was a "cancelled".
I like cancel -> canceled, kind of like doubt -> doubted. It's not doubtted, or is it? :sneaky:

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
kinghami3 said:
I like cancel -> canceled, kind of like doubt -> doubted. It's not doubtted, or is it? :sneaky:
It's not "doubtted" because there's a consonant before the t. If it were a vowel you'd double the 't'.

Eg.

prefer : preferred
asshat : asshatter

Exceptions to grammar rules make baby Jesus cry.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
kinghami3 said:
funnel --> funneled
tunnel --> tunneled
dial --> dialed
bowl --> bowled

...so I tend to agree with you.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ridemonkey said:
It's not "doubtted" because there's a consonant before the t. If it were a vowel you'd double the 't'.

Eg.

prefer : preferred
asshat : asshatter

Exceptions to grammar rules make baby Jesus cry.
But isn't Canadian English different?

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
funnel --> funneled Already has double consonant
tunnel --> tunneled same
dial --> dialed preceeded by two vowels
bowl --> bowled preceeded by a consonant

English sucks.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ridemonkey said:
funnel --> funneled Already has double consonant
tunnel --> tunneled same
dial --> dialed preceeded by two vowels
bowl --> bowled preceeded by a consonant

English sucks.
Hey, you're pretty good with that America speak! :D

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Could you sign that and send it to my high school English teachers? They didn't seem to think so!

Possibly because I never did the readings or any work.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ridemonkey said:
Cancelled actually follows the grammar rules...it's my preference. Seems like any word can get in the dictionary these days. "Doh" is now a word thanks to Matt Groening.
Dictionaries only follow popular usage. Only one of them will follow the proper grammar rules (2 Ls I believe). Who the hell knows who came up with the rules though, and seriously, who know sif a word comes from a latin or greek base etc?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kinghami3 said:
Well, it is kind of central to my area of study :rolleyes:
Possibly 1 in a few hundred thousand. Unless you are actively studying greek/latin or phonology, it is pretty rare to actually know a words base root, and be able to figure out which usage is correct.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Transcend said:
Possibly 1 in a few hundred thousand. Unless you are actively studying greek/latin or phonology, it is pretty rare to actually know a words base root, and be able to figure out which usage is correct.
Theologians and Historian have a tendency to study Greek, Latin and phonology. I'm studying Theology and History. As I go into graduate studies, I will probably learn all three. Just sayin.

Transcend said:
Dictionaries only follow popular usage. Only one of them will follow the proper grammar rules (2 Ls I believe). Who the hell knows who came up with the rules though, and seriously, who know sif a word comes from a latin or greek base etc?
sif is an old buddy of mine. Where did you run into him?

Stating the obvious: Formal language follows popular usage with some lag, biotch...

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Scary...in the past 100 years popular usage has gone from olde english, to modern english, to english slang, to ebonics and spanglish...at this rate much of America could be back to grunts and hand gestures by 2050...especially if you learn anything from GWB. :eek: ;)