Quantcast

cancer strikes again...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
many people i know have gotten cancer in the last few years...

my sister had half of her kidney removed last year because of a cancerous tumour, she is still in her first year of remission, and we are hoping nothing shows up in tests... my best friend´s mom, has been battling cancer for over a year now (its been over a year since her cancer metastized, fortunately, she is still walking and active) and now my girlfriend´s grandma.

we are getting married this year, as we will be moving to the states in august for school for a couple years... i love her very much, and I really appreciate the fact she is willing to leave her job (she is a somewhat recent law school grad) to join me in the trip to be a housewife, for the next 2 years.....

a few minutes ago, she called me to tell me the results of her grandma´s tests.
her 84 yo grandma has been diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer, which has metastized to the bones. she will start palliative treatment this month... and hopefully she will be strong enough to attend our wedding.

now, considering she is very close to her grandma, am in a bit of a difficult situation.

If we leave in august, we wont be back until may/june 2013... and by then, there is a good chance grandma wont be alive anymore, and even then, we would come for a few weeks at most...

I could delay my admission until next spring or fall, but I doubt she would want us to delay our plans or she might not want to make the decision.
On the other hand, if we leave as planned... its bye bye grandma for good for her...

i dont know how to approach the subject to her... i mean, its hard enough to go thru that, for me to ask her, as such question means i take for granted her grandma´s death, and even if i ask straightforward, she might not say "yes" even if she really wants to...

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Sorry to hear, that sucks.

Having had cancer effect several of my family members, and forcing similar decisions to be made, my advice is to live your life as planned. My dad was given 6mos to live and lasted 6 years. My brother was supposed to only be hospitalized for 3 days after his (failed) surgery to remove his cancer but wound up in intensive care for 74 days and nearly died on a daily basis before walking out before christmas.

You just do your thing and hope for the best sometimes.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Damn, that's horrible news. I hope she's strong enough to beat it. Healing vibes en route.

As far as your situation, I know it's more complicated than that, but if you're looking for advice, this is the best I got.

Don't delay your admission. Get married so your fiance` has the beautiful memory of her abuela at the wedding. Go to school alone and let her stay at home with her job and her family. Skype everyday, even if it's just 10 minutes. If you can, once a week, fall asleep with each other on skype. If her g'ma passes, drop everything and go to her.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Sorry to hear, I understand what you're going through. Don't try to make anything about you and her, let her feelings guide how you handle it. I hope all turns out OK.