Quantcast

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Frango, you could always drill the current eyelet. It's 14,7 mm for the DB Air. I've measured it (confirmed in their PDF as well).
As far as I know, directly from CC, the bare eyelet is 16mm, so 1mm larger than other manufacturer do. You don't use bushing on the bottom of the shock on Glory 2010+. So, what I'd have to do, was to make 0,5mm thick/thin bushing, which may be tricky. I don't like drilling stuff on my bike and prefer to wait for proper version for my bike :) and wait for more reviews.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've got this information from German CC distro and then from Malcolm from CC HQ.
I don't think there is any additional sleeve. The ID is 16mm and the bushing is thicker goes, I guess, but in the end, you get 14,7mm standard ID.

Corvette

Chimp
Nov 19, 2005
I've contacted CC again and the they provided the following info:
- all the shocks with serial starting with V have the 14.7 mm eyelet ID (like my DB Air)
- all older shocks have 16 mm eyelet ID

So I guess you could simply bore/enlarge the eyelet and you're good to go. The bottom one on the air can should be easy to replace if anything happens, but I would be a bit hesitant to do that on top one (where the damping circuit is).

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
If only my Spanish was at least as good as my English and I knew how to understand these graphs :D

Corvette

Chimp
Nov 19, 2005
But the Google Translate speaks it quite well. You want to check leverage and forces graphs - for that you only need some basic maths/physics knowledge to "read" them.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I did use google translate ;> however, it didn't help much ;)
Moreover, the graph on top of this page looks kinda different then there in linked blog...

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I asked CC again about 15mm eyelets, and I've been told such version of BDAir may be available later this year. I prefer to wait than to drill an expensive shock ;>

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
My buddy has been riding a CCDBair on his v10c in 8.5 setting.

He's getting full travel after some adjustments. No long DH runs yet just some medium size hits, drops and berms etc with a few rocks thrown in. I don't even know if he checked it had the "correct" sag and has not supplied me with a graph of performance vs terrain, so obviously more in depth analysis is required for more critical e-spec.

Coming of a CCDB coil he likes the air version a lot. Says it has great adjustment and is thinking of selling the coil. I'll check in after he has a little more time on it.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
One of our team riders is getting very close to full travel (1/4 inch). 2012 Devinci Wilson 35% sag with HSC 1/4 turn off bottom

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
Are there any experiences with the CCDB Air and Banshee Legend MKII ?
legends leverage curve is well suited for air shocks (it's degressive at the end so the air spring ramp up takes care of that). i believe it should be a great combo.

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
yes, feels very good, no issues apart from it's very tight inside the frame. expect some rub on the air can from trapped grit
Curious what year makulu u have and what do u weigh? Any comparison between the coil if u came off it? Any pics on the setup will be greatly appreciated? Sorry for the 20 questions.

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
Curious what year makulu u have and what do u weigh? Any comparison between the coil if u came off it? Any pics on the setup will be greatly appreciated? Sorry for the 20 questions.
2011 frame - link to close up pics of frame/shock sent to you

210 lbs - I came off a CCDB, DBair is set up exactly the same base C&R settings with a little bit of recent tweaking - a little more rebound (H&L speed) than Malcolms suggested settings

running 85-90psi depending on the trail/terrain which gives me exactly 40% sag at 85 PSI - and 85 PSI gives me pretty much full travel with a little bit left over for uber gnarness

feels awesome, and feels very familiar after a big season on the CCDB

doesn't feel like it's being overworked at all and IMHO it feels like a great match for the Makulu design

once again, like the coil version, parking lot tests don't reflect what the shock does "on trail"

feels a little more lively and responsive over the CCDB with the higher PSI and about the same as coil with the lower pressure

and like the CCDB, it really comes alive at speed and when worked hard

Last edited:

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Hey Udi, how do you reckon the DB Air would go in an Orange 224 Evo? I know bugger all about the leverage curve so am bowing to superior knowledge.

Cheers.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey Udi, how do you reckon the DB Air would go in an Orange 224 Evo? I know bugger all about the leverage curve so am bowing to superior knowledge.

Cheers.
I think it would compliment that bike nicely. I have a DB air for testing right now and I think it feels much more progressive than the DB coil. When I rode bikes like the Orange a while back the more progressive I could get the shock tuned the better those style of frames felt. I would think it could work very well in that frame.

Hey UDI, when you coming riding?

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
Good to hear BuckoW.

Thanks for the info. I had heard they worked with more progressive shocks (like the RC4) but just wasn't certain.:thumb:

AndrewR

Chimp
Oct 5, 2010
British Columbia
@ baca262 do you have a leverage chart for a 2011 V-10 carbon please and what are your thoughts of the CCDB Air in the 10" mode (currently running a RC4/ 450 Ti spring in 10" mode). Pretty happy with the RC4 but have been contemplating the DB Air or BOS Void for a while now.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Would of liked to have seen that at launch but now that I'm using my bike in the 9.5" setting, it seems perfect. I had to a bit more pressure obviously but now the travel seems endless

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
apparently the new inner air can is a running change and is shipping with all new DB Airs. service centers should be swapping them out at n/c for the can itself (labor rates may apply though.)
a easy way to tell which is which is the old sleeve has two machines grooves in it and the new one has 6. they should be significantly more linear and if they are too linear, you will actually be able to use the volume reducers

bullit398

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
Neptune, NJ
I had it switched out by suspension experts. Cost me $166 with shipping. It's a noticeably different shock. Actually possible to get full travel. Still working on tuning but I'm actually able to run proper sag and use compression adjustments instead of running it wide open. If you feel the shock is to progressive it's a must do.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I had it switched out by suspension experts. Cost me $166 with shipping. It's a noticeably different shock. Actually possible to get full travel. Still working on tuning but I'm actually able to run proper sag and use compression adjustments instead of running it wide open. If you feel the shock is to progressive it's a must do.
wow, $166?? they said it shouldnt cost anything besides for a labor cost via qbp.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
I think it would compliment that bike nicely. I have a DB air for testing right now and I think it feels much more progressive than the DB coil. When I rode bikes like the Orange a while back the more progressive I could get the shock tuned the better those style of frames felt. I would think it could work very well in that frame.
Runs tomorrow, I'll let you know! Super stoked to try it out! 380 Grams lighter than the BOS coil with K9 Race Steel spring and bearing kit.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Sorry I missed the earlier post Jase, will be good to hear your thoughts. I rode the BOS in that frame and didn't particularly like it, have a feeling the CC Air will do better.

I think they're a tricky frame to shock right, personally I'd run an RC4 for strong progression with minimum initial stroke resistance for it (it does have more than other coil shocks, but better than air shocks). Bit of a hard line to tread because while the extra progression of the air shock helps towards the end of travel, the initial firmness compared to a coil shock exacerbates the regressive curve of the 224 (fairly low leverage ratio at beginning of travel) - which would likely mean some sacrifice in small bump sensitivity.

Two things that I think the CC will work well for though - they seem to be quite progressive even for an air shock which will be great on that frame, allowing it to be run softer for better bump sensitivity, and with the progression being in spring rate (on the CC) rather than in damping (RC4) it'll give the bike a bit more pop/liveliness, or at least help compensate for any deadening of the ride from the air seal friction.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@Udi - I tested with CC in Dorenaz a couple weeks ago (and Whistler too) and that shock is pretty cool for adjusting the spring rate progressiveness. The blue air can spacers make a very noticeable difference and I think that with a bunck of them in there Jase76 could probably find a good mix of beginning stroke suppleness and resistance to bottom out. During the testing I ended up with 3 big and one small and think the ramp is very nice for me and where I ride. I like the CCDB air better than the coil for that reason.

@Jase76 - Did you get the air can spacers? I think a couple would help the ramp for your frame.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That's pretty cool, did they buy you many dinners too? I heard that's the only way to get you to test anything these days. Check your gmail old man.

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
buckoW - Yeah, I got 1 big air can spacer and a bunch of small ones. I'll ride tomorrow with none to get a feel for it, then put some in. The good thing is I have next week off work, so I've got ages to get it dialled! What frame were you testing the Air on? Presuming a Scott?

Udi - I've only ever run the BOS on the frame so I have nothing to compare it to, I'm very interested how this shock will change the ride. I've even been toying with buying a 2nd hand RC4 to try out too.

Thanks for the knowledge fellas.

Last edited: