Quantcast

Cane creek Double Xc Flush headset

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Anyone have experience with this headset? Im in the market for a new 1.5 reducer and thought this would be good on the new DHR and 8" fork. Question is are the bearings really small since there inside the headtube? Would this be suitable for FR/DH, or should I stick to the standard headset? I used the FSA orbit X last year with a 7" fork and it worked fine, but this year i plan an 8" fork on the DHR so my ride height up front will increase. Ive read on the forums thats not a good thing.... :sneaky:

Also does the Xc mean Cross country? or something else?

from BTI:
Cane Creek - (Part No. DC0740)
Description: Double Xc Flush headset, 1.5" to 1-1/8" blk
- Converts OnePointFive frames to accept 1-1/8 in. forks
- Flush cups reduce ride height by putting bearings inside headtube
- Sealed cartridge bearings with T-seals
- For One.Point.Five, 49.5mm ID frame headtubes
- 7075 machined aluminum cups, 20mm insertion depth
- 189g

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The "c" is for "conversion" (i.e. 1.5 to 1 1/8"), not for "cross country". It's a burly headset, intended for abuse.

The normal XX headset is great. The bearings won't be any smaller than a normal 1 1/8" headset's bearings...

You could also order the Evil/E.13 cups :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
info@canecreek.com . Malcolm or Joe will respond and give you the exact dimensions. I would honestly have to say the bearings will be very durable and similar(if not larger) size as regular 1 1'8" bearings, but with the massive cups, will be extremely durable. I had a 1 1/8" FSA headset with reducer sleeve inserts on my '03 DHR and the bearings would have easily dropped down inside this headset. But I'm guessing.

They originally had the bottom cop as external to protect against extreme loads, but apparently decided the current version was strong enough. Here is a photo of the prototype before they went to the one you have pictured.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Thanks guys.

Fork choice still in the air, but i assume ill be on an 8" setup unless my boxxer doesnt sell..... even then i may have to sacrifice some to get a new fork. Ill weigh the options when it comes time. I havent ruled out the E-13 cups either, that just invloves buying the cups and headset to get the bearings and races. i'd like to already have it all in once complete package for ease...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
oly said:
Thanks guys.

Fork choice still in the air, but i assume ill be on an 8" setup unless my boxxer doesnt sell..... even then i may have to sacrifice some to get a new fork. Ill weigh the options when it comes time. I havent ruled out the E-13 cups either, that just invloves buying the cups and headset to get the bearings and races. i'd like to already have it all in once complete package for ease...
Not true, you can order the bearings and the race separately. I talked to Cane Creek about this already.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
JUNK!
i have one here if you like, pay me shipping and i'll send ya all the parts. went to a FSA, much better. only used the Canecreek for about a month too. always felt like it was coming loose all the time. or was too tight.
blarg!
Steve

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
binary visions said:
Not true, you can order the bearings and the race separately. I talked to Cane Creek about this already.
Yeah...I've ordered many bearing from them last year for my E13 cup. Look at their online store on their web site, you can buy bags of them (bearings).

I'm pretty sure you can do the same with FSA.

DHS said:
JUNK!
i have one here if you like, pay me shipping and i'll send ya all the parts. went to a FSA, much better. only used the Canecreek for about a month too. always felt like it was coming loose all the time. or was too tight.
blarg!
Steve
I thought FSA and CaneCreek sourced a lot of their stuff from the same place... ??

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea they do, but the race and such never stayed tight, even though i got the newer one

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
call me crazy, but i'd just get the e13 reduces, and IS-2 headset if you're looking for low stackheight. well, i'd get it anyway.. about $80. how much is the CCDubXC?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd get the CC over the E13 reducers just because of the blue plasitc ring that acts as a dust seal (if it can actually be considered a seal.) With the E13 reducers all you get are the reducers, you have to use whatever lower race and compression ring comes with the headset bearings and as I understand it you don't use a top cap so really the bearings aren't protected besides the seal on the bearing themself,

Kornphlake said:
I'd get the CC over the E13 reducers just because of the blue plasitc ring that acts as a dust seal (if it can actually be considered a seal.) With the E13 reducers all you get are the reducers, you have to use whatever lower race and compression ring comes with the headset bearings and as I understand it you don't use a top cap so really the bearings aren't protected besides the seal on the bearing themself,
I bet Acadian's got an opinion on that one...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
ChainWhip said:
I bet Acadian's got an opinion on that one...
It's quite posssible that I misunderstand the correct collection of parts that make up an e13 reducer headset setup. Even after all the debate about how to set them up I'm still confused by the fact that the bearings would basically be flapping in the wind, maybe I'm totally misunderstanding how the thing works.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, that's how he ran it. that's how i ran it, too. i can't remember his argument, but it convinced me. it's in that really, really long thread about the e13 reducer cups.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Acadian said:
Yeah...I've ordered many bearing from them last year for my E13 cup. Look at their online store on their web site, you can buy bags of them (bearings).
Doesn't needing to order many bearings tell you something?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Kornphlake said:
I'd get the CC over the E13 reducers just because of the blue plasitc ring that acts as a dust seal (if it can actually be considered a seal.) With the E13 reducers all you get are the reducers, you have to use whatever lower race and compression ring comes with the headset bearings and as I understand it you don't use a top cap so really the bearings aren't protected besides the seal on the bearing themself.
Agree 100%. I'd live with the E13 no top cap issue if it was the only way to do it (like last year), but now that someone makes a real headset with no-stack bearings that seems like the only way to go.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Bulldog said:
Doesn't needing to order many bearings tell you something?
Humm…what are you trying to say? I ordered a few bearings thinking I might need them,. If you knew me real well, I like to be prepared for worst case scenario – reason whey I got a few. But how many did I end up using? ONE SET...that's it! I use the same bearings all year without any problems.

They are already sealed bearings, so you don't really need the dust caps or that lower blue seal. Granted it’s pretty dry where I ride, I know many people that rode this setup in wet climates without any problems.

Run whatever floats your boat, but I never had any problems with the E13 cups – also never had to replace bearing from premature wear.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm running the FSA Zero Stack 1.5 -> 1.125 reducer headset on my DHR as the Cane Creek wasn't available and getting e.13 parts in Oz is a joke. So far no problems and installation was simple. What's the difference in price between the FSA unit and the Cane Creek one? I can't see the need to spend more than the price of the FSA one.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Acadian said:
Humm…what are you trying to say? I ordered a few bearings thinking I might need them,. If you knew me real well, I like to be prepared for worst case scenario – reason whey I got a few. But how many did I end up using? ONE SET...that's it! I use the same bearings all year without any problems.

They are already sealed bearings, so you don't really need the dust caps or that lower blue seal. Granted it’s pretty dry where I ride, I know many people that rode this setup in wet climates without any problems.

Run whatever floats your boat, but I never had any problems with the E13 cups – also never had to replace bearing from premature wear.
Yeah I fogot about your ultra-preparedness Luc. :) I guess also I'm just a neat-n-clean kinda personality, and the E13 setup - though functionally great - just looks kinda hack-ish with the raw bearing out there. :eek:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
D,
I think I've already voiced my opinion on CC headsets. The one I have on my rail is identical to the one you're looking at, only it has a different crown race and top cap. The thing is poo. It either feels too tight, or it comes loose after an hour of riding.

As for buying the whole thing in one shot, go-ride offers the e-13 cups and FSA bearings and top cap all in one package.

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_headsets.html

It's cheaper than the CC one too.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Oly the Cane Creek pictured will not do anything to lower the front end.The lower cup looks like any other headset yes it may reduce how long the steerer needs to be.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
DHRracer said:
Oly the Cane Creek pictured will not do anything to lower the front end.The lower cup looks like any other headset yes it may reduce how long the steerer needs to be.
Go back and look a little closer :rolleyes:
The one with the normal bottom cup is pre-production. The final one is zero-stack top and bottom.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I have two questions, maybe someone can shed some light on these.

1) How are the bearings situated in the Cane Creek and FSA sets? I know that the FSA that I have seen before used the standard zerostack type bearing arrangement, where the bearings are supported by a 45 degree chamfer. The e.thirteen zerostack reducers support the headset bearings radialy, making for a MUCH stronger interface.

2) What material are the FSA head cups? The e.thirteen reducers are built from 7075 T6. Compared to 6061 T6, which is common for most FSA and Cane Creek hedsets, the e.thirteen will roughly twice the impact resistance to ovalization on material alone. Add that up withthe radial bearing interface and you have a set that is ovalization and creak free.

I ran an FSA top cap that had a o-ring seal on it last year, and I had absolutely zero bearing problems. My bike got a ton of miles too, and the headset feels like new still.

I would love to build an e.thirteen headset, but I also respect intellectual property. Until Cane Creek allows e.thirteen a license to build headsets, we will just keep doing what we do!

Dave

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I've owned 2 Cane Creek headsets in my life. Together they lasted about 4 months total, before they were completely pitted and seized. The last was a 2003 Double XX 1.5........

Went with the headsets reducers and a CK and have had zero problems since then.......

just sharing my experience.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
dw said:
I ran an FSA top cap that had a o-ring seal on it last year, and I had absolutely zero bearing problems. My bike got a ton of miles too, and the headset feels like new still.

Dave
i ran an FSA top cap and couldn't get rid of the play in my headset. took about a month to figure that out. after reading Acadians post about the spacer, i switched it out and that got rid of the play. that struck me as odd.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
buildyourown said:
D,
I think I've already voiced my opinion on CC headsets. The one I have on my rail is identical to the one you're looking at, only it has a different crown race and top cap. The thing is poo. It either feels too tight, or it comes loose after an hour of riding.

As for buying the whole thing in one shot, go-ride offers the e-13 cups and FSA bearings and top cap all in one package.

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_headsets.html

It's cheaper than the CC one too.
Point taken. I had forgotten about that.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Hm, this is why i post here. Thanks everyone for their tips. the CC doesnt seem to be such a good choice. I may take CW up on that offer of the e-13 cups, and then just order the IS headset. I would be concerned about not having the top bearing sealed, but i guess thats what beer was made for.... to drink while your maintaining your sh t.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
oly said:
Hm, this is why i post here. Thanks everyone for their tips. the CC doesnt seem to be such a good choice. I may take CW up on that offer of the e-13 cups, and then just order the IS headset. I would be concerned about not having the top bearing sealed, but i guess thats what beer was made for.... to drink while your maintaining your sh t.

In reality how much good does that top cap really do? I've never taken apart a headset and found that the underside of the dust cap was actually clean... I guess if you can see the bearing it's easier to wipe the grime off, still I just don't think it looks as nice when you see the exposed bearing seal. To all the Cane Creek haters, I've had a total of two cane creek headsets for almost 3 years now without a single problem, an S2 and an XXc.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I've got about six months of abuse on a Cane Creek XX 1.5 headset. It still feels like new. I was concerned about going to a headset that doesn't say 'King' on it because of frustrations in the past, but so far it's been good. I had a Cane Creek integrated headset on a Giant Ac years ago and it held up for the year or so I had the bike. I have had good experiences with Cane Creek headsets.

tomyboy

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Irvine
i ran an FSA top cap and couldn't get rid of the play in my headset. took about a month to figure that out. after reading Acadians post about the spacer, i switched it out and that got rid of the play. that struck me as odd.
Glad I read this thread! I spent forever trying to figure out why the fork kept on binding. Removed the FSA top cap and it's been smooth sailing. :banana:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I've got the Cane creek Double Xc Flush headset on my Judge. I have yet to mess with it at all for the 2 years it's been on there. Love it.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Wow, talk about raising the dead here. 4 1/2 yrs. Is that like a record?

-ska todd