Quantcast

Cane creek headset issue

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by laxincubus311
i have the 1.5 one on my turner and it feel somewhat rough when i turn the fork. im pretty sure i put it together right, any ideas?
Maybe preloaded the bearings too much??

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I have ridden several cane creek 1.5s and they all had 'notchy' feeling bearings. If you can't figure the problem out, it might just be worth gettin a new headset, like the pig.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Originally posted by The Kadvang
I have ridden several cane creek 1.5s and they all had 'notchy' feeling bearings. If you can't figure the problem out, it might just be worth gettin a new headset, like the pig.
i dont think they make a pig for a 1.5. Ive ridden the cane creek on both of my bikes for over a year now and they felt good until recently. I think my bearings are shot now and just need to be replaced. I just recently replaced my XXC Cane Creek with the e.thirteen reducers with FSA bearings and I am loving the low stack height and the way the headset feels.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The bearings on mine definitly do not feel notchy, so they're not all like that. Seems silly to get a new headset when plenty of people are running them with no problem.

My guess is setup issue, as mentioned above, probably preloading the bearings too much.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Ditto.

That's why I ditched mine for E13/FSA combo. The bearings felt like crap.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by DßR
Ditto.

That's why I ditched mine for E13/FSA combo. The bearings felt like crap.
How does that E13/FSA combo work? Where do those reducer cups fit into the headset? And is it expensive or a good value?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by MMcG
How does that E13/FSA combo work? Where do those reducer cups fit into the headset? And is it expensive or a good value?
Do a search.. it's been the target of pages of discussion.

In a nut shell, the reducer cups press directly into the headtube, and the integrated/zero stack bearings press into the reducer cups. The "headset" (that is, the normal headset cup) doesn't press into the reducers, just the bearings.

edit: It's $50 for the cups, plus about $25 for bearings, or more depending on which bearings you buy, so it's more expensive than a cheap headset (like an FSA Pig), but about the same price as a mid range headset. Considering the general quality of E.13's stuff, I think you get a pretty high quality headset for the price.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by binary visions
Do a search.. it's been the target of pages of discussion.

In a nut shell, the reducer cups press directly into the headtube, and the integrated/zero stack bearings press into the reducer cups. The "headset" (that is, the normal headset cup) doesn't press into the reducers, just the bearings.

edit: It's $50 for the cups, plus about $25 for bearings, or more depending on which bearings you buy, so it's more expensive than a cheap headset (like an FSA Pig), but about the same price as a mid range headset. Considering the general quality of E.13's stuff, I think you get a pretty high quality headset for the price.
Thanks and now I don't need to do a search - see! :p :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by MMcG
Thanks and now I don't need to do a search - see! :p :D
:p

Well, DW chimed into the other threads with lots of info about the reducer cups, the benifits of it, etc.