Quantcast

Cane Creek HellBender

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Is the Cane Creek HellBender lower bearing worth it? I go through a 40 series lower bearing every year.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not sure what the hellbender is, but have you tried using a 110 bearing?

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
What @6thElement said. I used to have the same issue with 40 lower bearings. The 110 bearing has lasted a lot longer.

(Cue a spectacular explosion of the lower headset bearing on the next ride)

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
eh, both my brother and I have Hellbender lower bearings in our 110 and they have a super amount of drag. the typical handlebar flop you shoot for when the bike is in the stand is not possible with the Hellbender when you set proper headset tension. i mean its usable, but in my opinion it doesn't feel very good. apparently they will give you a new one no questions asked, but i cant be bothered enough to ask

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I just bought an integrated CC 110 and the set came with the hellbender lower bearing.

And for the record, fuck integrated headsets, another lizard invention. :mad:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I smoked my 40 lower bearing in 5 rides on my DH bike, couldn't handle the PNW apparently. I wrote Cane Creek and they offered me a Hellbender as a replacement for $18, which is a hell of a lot better than spending $50 MSRP. While it might be annoying that one time you first install the bearing, I can't see how seal drag would be any sort of issue on the trail.

In other news, the CC rep also told me that they changed the coating on their 40 bearings from black oxide to zinc...apparently acknowledging that those black oxide bearings are utter shite with the slightest hint of moisture.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Bump. Are people happy with Hellbender bearings? I've had to replace both lower and upper one. Back to 40 more, much happier. Manufacturing tolerances must have been totally off for HB, so much binding.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Bump. Are people happy with Hellbender bearings? I've had to replace both lower and upper one. Back to 40 more, much happier. Manufacturing tolerances must have been totally off for HB, so much binding.
I have them on my Sentinel after the 40 bearings died. They still feel really tight, but I'm hoping they loosen up a bit over time. I can't say I notice any difference while riding, but in the stand the extra friction/resistance is noticeable

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have them on my Sentinel after the 40 bearings died. They still feel really tight, but I'm hoping they loosen up a bit over time. I can't say I notice any difference while riding, but in the stand the extra friction/resistance is noticeable
I've read they got a few out of spec 41mm bearings out there that had the seating surfaces machined improperly and were binding in the headset as a result. I am quite sure mine is one of those. It is frustrating as I bought a complete 110 headset less than six months ago and it arrived with the damned hellbender things and they are nothing but problems. Gonna ask CC to fix it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just recieved two Hellbender bearing for my blown out headset, 41 and 52mm. Both feel smooth, but are very stiff to spin. But hopefully they last longer than the original 40 bearings.

And maybe I misread on the 110 headset product page, which has a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know if these individually purchased bearings also have a lifetime warranty?

I also recieved a new Hellbender bottom bracket. It was a little bit more than the RaceFace comparable one, but again hopefully not utter garbage like it. These bearing spin quite freely compared to the red sealed Hellbender ones and have green seals. Oddly not a single CaneCreek logo or anything on them, other than on the plastic tube between the cups. It's also made I Taiwan, for such a simple thing I'm surprised it's not made in the USA, other than the bearings.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Let us know how that BB works.

I just recieved two Hellbender bearing for my blown out headset, 41 and 52mm. Both feel smooth, but are very stiff to spin. But hopefully they last longer than the original 40 bearings.

And maybe I misread on the 110 headset product page, which has a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know if these individually purchased bearings also have a lifetime warranty?

I also recieved a new Hellbender bottom bracket. It was a little bit more than the RaceFace comparable one, but again hopefully not utter garbage like it. These bearing spin quite freely compared to the red sealed Hellbender ones and have green seals. Oddly not a single CaneCreek logo or anything on them, other than on the plastic tube between the cups. It's also made I Taiwan, for such a simple thing I'm surprised it's not made in the USA, other than the bearings.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Let us know how that BB works.
Will do. Though this bottom bracket is the regular Hellbender one, not the Neo version. Don't know what the difference is or why these have green seals vs the red on the headset bearings. The red ones are much stiffer.

Top 40 bearing was still good, so into the spare pile it goes. Lower 40 bearing is literally rusting out, ugh. Garbage.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've got the Hellbender Neo (the fancy one) on my new bike. I was a bit wary at first because it felt pretty sticky and slow to rotate, but after 180 miles it's real smooth. I haven't pulled the cranks off, but I'll take a look once the rain starts.

I picked up a set of the Hellbender headset bearings too that I'll try when my new fork gets here. I murder headset bearings constantly washing dust off, so I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Top 40 bearing was still good, so into the spare pile it goes. Lower 40 bearing is literally rusting out, ugh. Garbage.
This was my experience on my GF's bike, too. I put a 110 lower bearing in there ages ago and it's been fine ever since.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This was my experience on my GF's bike, too. I put a 110 lower bearing in there ages ago and it's been fine ever since.
That's generally been my approach, buy a 40 HS and when the lower bearing gives up, replace with a 110.