Quantcast

Cane Creek Thudbuster!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Could someone please give me the bottom line on this seatpost?

Like everything else in the biking world, I've heard a million different opinions on this.

Is it worth the big $'s?

WebCyclery

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Beautiful Bend, OR
I haven't used the Thudbuster, but we've sold quite a few and have had good feedback. I have tried the Rockshox, and if the Thudbuster is anything like that, I say go for it. The addition of that post made my back feel better and made riding more enjoyable. My climbing also improved. I liked having suspension so much that I sold my Merlin and now I'm getting a full suspension bike. The question is, Intense or Ellsworth?

R

RideMonkey

Dude, Ellsworth are the goods. I have seen quite a few of them out here and every one of them is sweet.

They are also getting kind of a cult following on the Net.

The day that RM gets its millionth member, I'll be ordering mine :)

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
for the Ellsworth Truth. My riding abilities took a quantum leap when I bought that bike. I still haven't met it's full potential. I named it Shadowfax after Gandolf's steed in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. If you've read the books you'll understand why.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by buttychunkster
does ya really need a suspension seatpost?:rolleyes: :)

Yeah my lower back has been killing me lately. I used to work on a far and I hurt it tossing hay and straw around. Now this isn't helping. Anyway I also ride a slightly smaller bike for my body so my seat is up high and I get tossed around when I go down hills. I was hoping it would help me keep my rear tire on the ground.

WebCyclery: Ya wanna hook me up with a deal!!!!

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Thud doesn't get my vote. I used one for a month. I got it on loan from our Rep. He wanted me to try it out so I'd sell lots. Here's my review. It's heavy. Really heavy, even for a susp. seatpost. (Not as heavy as a FS frame though.) When the seatpost compresses, it drops the rider back behind his pedals. Assuming your seat is set correctly, this means on an active trail, where your post is taking lots of hits, you are constantly dropping out of your ideal pedalling posistion, overworking your quads. The Thud is cool in the fact that it comes with three density pallomers, which means you can easily change the compression rate of your post. Also, the thud will not develop the side to side play that the VAST majority of the posts out there will. Finally, if you are in need of some sort of rear supsension and can't afford a FS bike, its worth a look. For me, its nowhere near cost effective. Of course I'm young, have Advil, and am somehwat sadistic.:p

Well a Thudbuster aint like a Rockshox but between da two chu chouldent has ta go elswere. Day both are good for wat day do an' both cud be anoying. Da Thudbuster trys ta move in a way to simulate a F/S bike, both mess wit chor peddelin', but cud be most juseful where chu dont peddel anyway. One of da two will works for you, but try both cuz day are two different rides.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
I bought a frame and the thudbuster together...it fit like a virgin.

I have broken 2 of them. I need a fs bike next.

The story I have is f'd up. This is the first one i broke. It is from the batch Cane Creek considers to be 'good'.

The second one they recalled. After they rebuilt it, I broke it within a week at the lower part where the post meets the suspension. It started turning.

I have another one which is new right now that I've used a few times.

Considering that I had my hands on so many seatposts within the one-year waranty I would say they are the best in the business.

I also own two free Cane Creek T-shirts that they sent. They also sent me a second thudbuster last time so I had two laying around. I felt bad for them so I called them and paid to mail one back.

The thudbuster experiment has been expensive. Anyone saying bad things about it or comparing it to other suspension posts would be wrong to do so. It is the best.

It is not as good as owning a full suspension bike. IF i were to do it all over again I would have bought the FS bike. Going down hills are not so great since you have to stand anyway.

It is a part of me now. I dunno what I am going to do if it breaks again because my waranty has ran out after one year. I will call them and ask for a deal on a new one. cost is like $65 U.S. so they aren't bad to replace if they are selling them at cost after the waranty is gone.

I am still a big Cane Creek fan too. The thudbuster introduced me to them. I bought a S5 headset this year because of their high quality service. I will be a loyal customer to them for a long time.

They really seem to care about the individual who buys the product, unlike most large manufacturers I would say.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Not all of the thudbusters were recalled, just ones within a specific serial number range. My buddy races semi pro Xc, and on his hardail, he put a Thudbuster on it, and loves it. It is a bit tricky to set up, you have to angle the seat down to compensate for the sag. Overall though, they relly do feel good, and work really well for any kind of Xc condition.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
we have a lot of guys in our shop riding them, and they all rave about them, especially compared to others. You do have to get used to the backward motion of the seat, but apparently once you do it's butter.

All the other posts I've tried and worked with have develped a lot of play and slop. The Thudbuster actually has travel too, unlike a lot of the other ones.

I'd recommend it over the others.

Oh, and we've always had good experience with dealing with CC. We warrantied a bunch of them because of the recall, and all went through without a hitch, quickly.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
oh crap. I broke another one. That is my fourth one in 2 years. I don't even race them. They just break. I am sure the waranty has been expired for way too long now.

This one went at the top of the seat tube where it joins the suspension part. This is the second one that i have had that broke there. It just started wobbling forward and backward and then started twisting loose.

I am sick of sending cane creek my damn seatposts. I don't even feel like asking for a crash replacement. I stopped taking pictures after the first one too. It is such a waste of film.

I am going back to a normal seatpost until i get a dual suspension bike. KRAP spelt with a capital K I tells ya.

I had ridden that post no more than 10 times and it was new when they sent it.

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Well here it is after being put through my scanner without a picture. it is all fuzzy but you can still make out the raw aluminum where it appears above the seat post at the bonding point.

The whole seatpost barely made it home as I took side roads the whole way. The suspension is angled all funny on the post too now. Good thing it didn't totally fall off this time as the 20Km ride home would have been hell.