Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Id love to get more info on that but the bike looks hideous! I hope the bros change their sticker design.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its not like marketing and graphic design was ever thier strong point, so I can't see why you expected more here.:D

I just hope the curvy downtube doesn't up the price for no reason other then a curvy downtube.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I take that back. 3150 is a huge amount of money for that thing! jebus!
The old one was around 3k at one point but then the prices started dropping. Unless they changed something significantly Id take a 2010 over it any time.
I wonder if pacyfic factory is the best option for them though if they end up with such bonkers prices. If the superco will ever happen it wont really feel like more considering the profile cranks that were to be included (and no need for a chain guide)

btw. I really liked the looks of the previous model (2010 and pre).

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
How big are the chances that we see bullcrew swapping his for this more curvy Jedi:p

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
i believe the curved downtube is to lower the front shock mount which improves the rising rate, which is the one thing that i feel needs improvement on this frame. but hey lets just bash them for being followers instead.:rolleyes:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
I can't believe all of you are complaining about a small curve on the Downtube. I've checked it and it looks awesome...It's lower, longer, slacker and has a better leverage ratio than last year model.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
i believe the curved downtube is to lower the front shock mount which improves the rising rate, which is the one thing that i feel needs improvement on this frame. but hey lets just bash them for being followers instead.:rolleyes:
Similar overall leverage curve shape to that of a Sunday/V10/Legend - progressive then regressive slightly. Having some adjustment for that in those types of frames would be really instrumental.

Do people ever actually pay retail for these things?? Consistently seeing $3k+ for frames made in Taiwan with supposedly cheaper labor is getting ridiculous. The "expensive, boutique, handmade-U.S." frames are basically that price or cheaper. Someone is getting boned here.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
nice to finally see it...i know someone with a proto that wouldn't let me see it! although, it just looks like the formula 1 to me. I'm not a huge fan of the jedi's in general. they feel off to me. not sure why

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
1.5 ht and a couple of other things that are pretty cool. Should be info out on it real soon as well as a few other items...
Neat bike with some great adjustability.... 2010s rock.... Hopefully the 2011 can live up to its older brother which Id consider pretty damn refined... Then again they improve based on input and riding and it gets better every time...

Im pretty dialed this year with the bike and the AVY its the best 3 combo for me ever frame/fork cart/shock it rips.... They all work with each other like a peice to the puzzle, its been great...

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I can't believe all of you are complaining about a small curve on the Downtube. I've checked it and it looks awesome...It's lower, longer, slacker and has a better leverage ratio than last year model.
Naaah, Im complaining about the stickers - can be easily changed ;) The bend downtube isnt my thing but as Krispy pointed out - better leverage is worth it.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
The downtube looks ugly but... Every time Canfield changes something it is an improvement.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Hi all, this is the prototype for the 2011 Jedi. Alot of what was done on this bike was to validate our thoughts on geometry, progression rate and the tapered head tube.

When we first completed these, I ordered a Chris King headset, got the wrong one, ordered another and again wrong but between the two was able to mix and match one to fit. Very annoying. All in all the 1.5 headtube is a better option, weight is about the same as tapered and the headset options are great. Loving the idea of the Cane Creek Angleset.

The progression rate is more progressive than the previous models so the down tube has to be bent to make room for the canister. Production frames are going to have 3 mounting positions that will take it from linear to slightly progressive to fully progressive. Those adjustments will add 5mm of travel per adjustment starting at 205mm, 210mm and 215mm travel in fully progressive setting. We felt that we could benefit from a little more travel when the bike is more progressive like this.

The geo isn't changing too much. We shortened the chainstay down to 16" from 16.25" to speed up the turning just a bit more. It's just what I wanted, the quick turning feel of a short stay and the stability of rearward arc together!

All the CNC parts on new production frames have been reworked. Overall, the looks have changed quite a bit.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hi all, this is the prototype for the 2011 Jedi. Alot of what was done on this bike was to validate our thoughts on geometry, progression rate and the tapered head tube.

When we first completed these, I ordered a Chris King headset, got the wrong one, ordered another and again wrong but between the two was able to mix and match one to fit. Very annoying. All in all the 1.5 headtube is a better option, weight is about the same as tapered and the headset options are great. Loving the idea of the Cane Creek Angleset.

The progression rate is more progressive than the previous models so the down tube has to be bent to make room for the canister. Production frames are going to have 3 mounting positions that will take it from linear to slightly progressive to fully progressive. Those adjustments will add 5mm of travel per adjustment starting at 205mm, 210mm and 215mm travel in fully progressive setting. We felt that we could benefit from a little more travel when the bike is more progressive like this.

The geo isn't changing too much. We shortened the chainstay down to 16" from 16.25" to speed up the turning just a bit more. It's just what I wanted, the quick turning feel of a short stay and the stability of rearward arc together!

All the CNC parts on new production frames have been reworked. Overall, the looks have changed quite a bit.
So if you belive the 1.5 HT is better will it hit the final 2011 version or do you stay with the taper?

btw. I love the changes now. Even with the stickers. And the more travel with more progression is what I was thinking for a long time! Great Job. I only hope that bullcrew/Travis was a bit shorter so I can get his 2011 after the next season when he goes for a newer model ;)

Last edited:

Gurney

Chimp
Jan 14, 2010
Does anyone know what is happening with this frame. Availability, geo, pricing....

Thanks

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Should be late feb arriving first week of march... The bikes are being assembled right now and Chris will be going back and assembling all of them.... Lance is there now over seeing the process and will be back for the single speed bootleg race... So the brothers are ontop of it as always...:thumb:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Consistently seeing $3k+ for frames made in Taiwan with supposedly cheaper labor is getting ridiculous. The "expensive, boutique, handmade-U.S." frames are basically that price or cheaper. Someone is getting boned here.
In actuality, the cost of labor/wages is going up in Asia and at the same time ours is essentially going down.

EDIT: not to mention the whole 'supply and demand' thing. As more companies use Asian factories, the costs will go up as this demand rises.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Jedi:: $3150, Asian made, no real pedigree other than Lance's amazing riding.

Intense M9: $3000, US made, richest racing pedigree out there, includes CC double barrel and Angleset.

Can't comment on the quality of either, but I know INtense has made some huge strides. Can't say anything about the Jedi as I've never seen one, but never heard any complaints.

What I don't get is why an Asian made frame costs more then a US made one that includes a super pricey shock AND headset. I have the same issue with the Evil bikes. One Ghost seems to be ready to put out US made bikes at a good price, and ROTEC has been doing it for years.

If it doesn't result in a cheaper bike, why is it asian made? Why are riders paying so much? I've got nothing against bike made offshore, but thats because they usually offer excellent quality at a lower price. Here, not so much.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT

Intense M9: $3000, US made, richest racing pedigree out there, includes CC double barrel and Angleset.

Can't comment on the quality of either, but I know INtense has made some huge strides. Can't say anything about the Jedi as I've never seen one, but never heard any complaints.

What I don't get is why an Asian made frame costs more then a US made one that includes a super pricey shock AND headset. I have the same issue with the Evil bikes. One Ghost seems to be ready to put out US made bikes at a good price, and ROTEC has been doing it for years.

If it doesn't result in a cheaper bike, why is it asian made? Why are riders paying so much? I've got nothing against bike made offshore, but thats because they usually offer excellent quality at a lower price. Here, not so much.
Because people will pay it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

You really want to start this discussion all over again?

Personally I dont give a **** about racing pedigree or where its made. I care about quality, geo, suspension and weight. I own a frame from the same factory as the Jedi and Im pretty sure they have produced much less misaligned frames than intense.
Small companies + producing oversees = expensive if they use any expensive technology. They go to TW because its easier to get what they need, not because its cheaper. Still

btw. I like the m9 but Id take the Jedi over it any day.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Maybe you missed the point.

What I'm sayin is companies like Intense have a long history of racing, and push the US made angle pretty hard. Companies with hype like that usually charge a premium, for the name ya know? But that trend seems to be reversing. Now Intense is giving great value, and the asian frames are costing more. Its weird.

I also don't care where things are made from a quality standpoint, as I know many frames coming out of asia are brilliant. But I do expect that when you get something made offshore, usually for cost reasons, that the savings in costs are passed on to the consumer. Thats not just bikes, but everything. I don't think thats unreasonable is it?

Its not just frames either, seems to be a lot of component companies doing it too.

Last edited: