Quantcast

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Need to bust it out at Pkill like old times and hear the lift guys sigh when they go to lift it.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
To some extent, see my earlier post. Times they are once again a changing! Look at the food price spike that was announced last night. That was essentially driven by the rising (and wealthier growing) markets in Asia.
Wrong. Not connected.

Rising commodity (read: food, gas, clothing) prices are a result of rampant inflation due to the Fed's outrageous monetary policy (e.g. printing trillions of dollars through "quantitative easing").

Back on topic...

Really pumped about Canfield Bros' new "The One". Looks sweet!!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
buy 1 and write a review

EDIT; anybody else got a angry email from stikman
I don't think my 'private message' was angry...and for the record, not angry at all. Like I said, just wondered how Intense got pulled into the topic and why you had to start hatin?

Your condescending reply was a lot more angry I thought.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
yes, but it was also accurate, as page 3 is where intense got dragged in, consequently you PM box happens to be full to receive the messages anyway

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Their frames may be straight, but at the expense of suspension that doesn't cycle out of the crate, ****ty paint, and cracks after short term use.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to the Revolt thread. ;)
Faulty Design, not bad build quality. If my legend was to snap it would have already. I went to Maribor this summer to test it and it's fair to say I abused it quite a lot including killing my boxxer 2010 wc damping and riding so hard the bike forced me to do one foots and ballsack tire grabs ;) I admit I diding pay for mine the us 3k$ price but imho it's worth more than many super doooper us made pedigree bs frames. Best frame on the market right now, hands down. First frame I dont want to change. Hell I'm afraid to change.

btw. Geronimo is not the only Banshee team. Adam Bryton and Michal Chravat have been riding the legends on the WC circut for quite some time.

Ps. I'm sure bringing intense to the whole equation is a bad move. Or any companmy. Do we really need to hate on Canfield or Intense. I was a long term hater of their company (didnt like the price loss, vpp susp,denting tubes and users) but the m9, ss2, tracer vp and the uzzi really look nice so why bother with starting a fanboy war?

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
got to love those threads

honestly, why the hate on either canfield or intense or any company for that matter?

if you feel a bike is not worth the money the company is asking for it don't buy it.
enough people sharing your opinion will put this company out of business or force them to lower their prices.

that said i like the new jedi, but i have to be considered a fanboy because i used to own pretty much any frame made, from a fatty fat over the first formula one to a jedi and a cancan.
i liked all those bikes!
and still on the fatty fat and the cancan

for me the reason to go back always was the outstanding customer service from either lance or chris, and the bikes are great except for the minimal tire clearance on the 08 can can and the jedi
will buy a 24" wheel for the can can...

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Wrong. Not connected.

Rising commodity (read: food, gas, clothing) prices are a result of rampant inflation due to the Fed's outrageous monetary policy (e.g. printing trillions of dollars through "quantitative easing").

Back on topic...

Really pumped about Canfield Bros' new "The One". Looks sweet!!!
Uhhh, Connected (back on topic- international markets, not the U.S.Fed, duh)!

Straight outta today's NYT:
...In addition to freakish weather, often attributed to climate change, food prices are tied to changing demand: Countries like China and India that are consuming more meat and better grain as they grow richer.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
if you feel a bike is not worth the money the company is asking for it don't buy it.
enough people sharing your opinion will put this company out of business or force them to lower their prices.

that said i like the new jedi, but i have to be considered a fanboy because i used to own pretty much any frame made, from a fatty fat over the first formula one to a jedi and a cancan.
i liked all those bikes!
and still on the fatty fat and the cancan

for me the reason to go back always was the outstanding customer service from either lance or chris,
well said

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I have to say after looking at the websire that canfield looks really cool. May need to ride one this year to see haw it is. Must be great on the Diablo rocks

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
No idea why 'demo9' had to bring 'Intense' into a jedi thread and start hating,
What are you talking about? I'm not re-reading this whole thread, but pretty sure Dropmachine was the one who started the Intense comparison (how can they charge more for a Taiwanese frame?).

Doesn't matter so much to me where it's made, but I'd rather give my money to someone I can talk to on the phone about their product. A+ for accessibility for Canfield, but guess that goes along with being a small company.

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
I wouldnt put down any company that produces products for this sport. We all know how small DH mountain bikes are in the big picture of things. Its companies that offer technology and constant innovation that make it possible for competition among brands and more choices for consumers. We have all seen certain trends over the years. Some stick, some dont. Its consumers that sway the markets. But something worth mentioning is that Canfield bros have been ahead of alot of the trends. They continue to come out with innovative products and designs. The customer service and final products are top of the class. Together with other companies, you have lots of choices. Do your research, make a decesion. Like someone said if you dont like it dont buy it.

But dont diss a few guys that have bigger brains and balls than you....

By the way, I rode lances 2011 Jedi proto. Easily one of the quickest bikes in the rough. It does not bog, it floats. The rear-ward/up-ward axle path feeling is hard to beat. Wait til you see the production version.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I have to say after looking at the websire that canfield looks really cool. May need to ride one this year to see haw it is. Must be great on the Diablo rocks
you have no idea, IMO this is the bike for diablo, flat and rocky, this summer you will see for your self, i promise

maybe shameless self promotion, but you can see it in action, at diablo!

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/167723/

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Maybe you missed the point.

What I'm sayin is companies like Intense have a long history of racing, and push the US made angle pretty hard. Companies with hype like that usually charge a premium, for the name ya know? But that trend seems to be reversing. Now Intense is giving great value, and the asian frames are costing more. Its weird.

I also don't care where things are made from a quality standpoint, as I know many frames coming out of asia are brilliant. But I do expect that when you get something made offshore, usually for cost reasons, that the savings in costs are passed on to the consumer. Thats not just bikes, but everything. I don't think thats unreasonable is it?

Its not just frames either, seems to be a lot of component companies doing it too.
Because the Taiwanese factories offer a lot more bang for your buck. Look at an Intense - they largely use monocoque and butted tubes with CNC'd links and dropouts, as far as I'm aware there is no forging or hydroforming, which are both expensive processes. Now check out a Legend for example, for about the same price you're getting hydroformed tubing, two-piece forged BB shell, a shock basement that's forged in 5 different parts, forged links, blah blah. Sure it's expensive, but given that the price is roughly the same as an Intense, you're actually getting a lot more construction technology in it. It's not cheaper, it's just better value.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
you have no idea, IMO this is the bike for diablo, flat and rocky, this summer you will see for your self, i promise

maybe shameless self promotion, but you can see it in action, at diablo!

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/167723/
Ok cool deal.

I know my BMW Racelink was great there because of there rearward travel. I will check that out.
What size is it?
And maybe you can give me some pointers to help me jump better

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ok, something that's been bothering me that I need to clear up.

Now, I don't know where demo9 made up his information, but a rearward axle path does not enable one to "accelerate on rocks". The only way a bike can accelerate is via pedaling it, or pumping transition (which technically can be done on rocks, but we're talking about square edge hits on rocks). A square edge hit (as from a rock) will slow you down, aka deceleration. Now, in the event that you're riding a bike that has an axle path with a substantial rearward component of its movement, all that occurs is a minimization of the deceleration due to the square edged hit.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Ok cool deal.

I know my BMW Racelink was great there because of there rearward travel. I will check that out.
What size is it?
And maybe you can give me some pointers to help me jump better
size large (which is pretty small for a large), i can definitely give you hints.

@jonkranked
As for accelerating, your on a slope, if there is nothing to slow you down, you go faster, like a roll-in for the skatepark, take a demo 9 into a rock garden you will slow down, or if steep enough, break even. (of course if its 75+ degrees u will go faster regardless) Take a bike that wont slow down into 1, and you just accelerate through it, works the same on berms, its kinda like the bike pumps for you, dont take my word for it, try it, your in NJ and work 35 minutes from the mountain the offer stands, you can disagree a ton on the internet, but i think that will change once you ride it in person. There are multiple times ill catch my friends on a long rock garden just by out rolling them, its a great bike (at least at diablo) I am fat, and have the pedaling ability of a rock, and i still seem to do well in races, if you can pilot it, you can rip it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
size large (which is pretty small for a large), i can definitely give you hints.

@jonkranked
As for accelerating, your on a slope, if there is nothing to slow you down, you go faster, like a roll-in for the skatepark, take a demo 9 into a rock garden you will slow down, or if steep enough, break even. (of course if its 75+ degrees u will go faster regardless) Take a bike that wont slow down into 1, and you just accelerate through it, works the same on berms, its kinda like the bike pumps for you, dont take my word for it, try it, your in NJ and work 35 minutes from the mountain the offer stands, you can disagree a ton on the internet, but i think that will change once you ride it in person. There are multiple times ill catch my friends on a long rock garden just by out rolling them, its a great bike (at least at diablo) I am fat, and have the pedaling ability of a rock, and i still seem to do well in races, if you can pilot it, you can rip it.
but there are things that will slow you down. rolling resistance from tires and the rocks, even wind resistance (if we wanna get technical, though its really negligble). the point is, in order to accelerate, there has to be an input force to the system (rider + bike) to provide the acceleration and increase your velocity. Last time I checked, Diablo doesn't have magical rocks that accomplish this.

FWIW, I have spent time on a Jedi, so I know what you're referring to. And no, its not acceleration. It just seems faster for the reasons I described in my previous post, IE it minimizes deceleration compared to other bikes.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If you want to say it slows down less than fine, but, compared to (nearly) every other bike out there, its going to pull on it in rocks, which in comparison would be accelerating compared to the norm. tomato-tamato

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you want to say it slows down less than fine, but, compared to (nearly) every other bike out there, its going to pull on it in rocks, which in comparison would be accelerating compared to the norm. tomato-tamato
you got an F in high school physics didn't you?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
you got an F in high school physics didn't you?
I go based off real world experience, people on the internet may say it slow, but i own 1, and race it. The people that ride it know what im talking about as well, i have had more than enough people take the offers, do you have a personal vendetta against canfield? You say you rode 1, you should completely know what im talking about, assuming you rode it somewhere rocky.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I go based off real world experience, people on the internet may say it slow, but i own 1, and race it. The people that ride it know what im talking about as well, i have had more than enough people take the offers, do you have a personal vendetta against canfield? You say you rode 1, you should completely know what im talking about, assuming you rode it somewhere rocky.
no, i love their bikes, always have. never said it was slow either. you just need to realize there's a difference between acceleration and deceleration. in this case, it decelerates less than other bikes. doesn't mean it accelerates.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I wouldnt put down any company that produces products for this sport. We all know how small DH mountain bikes are in the big picture of things. Its companies that offer technology and constant innovation that make it possible for competition among brands and more choices for consumers. We have all seen certain trends over the years. Some stick, some dont. Its consumers that sway the markets. But something worth mentioning is that Canfield bros have been ahead of alot of the trends. They continue to come out with innovative products and designs. The customer service and final products are top of the class. Together with other companies, you have lots of choices. Do your research, make a decesion. Like someone said if you dont like it dont buy it.

But dont diss a few guys that have bigger brains and balls that you....

By the way, I rode lances 2011 Jedi proto. Easily one of the quickest bikes in the rough. It does not bog, floats. The rear-ward/up-ward axle path feeling is hard to beat. Wait til you see the production version.
can i remind you idiots of this. /end thread

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
no, i love their bikes, always have. never said it was slow either. you just need to realize there's a difference between acceleration and deceleration. in this case, it decelerates less than other bikes. doesn't mean it accelerates.
I love how you guys argue over trivial things. That's sooooo cute :cupidarrow:

The bike goes faster over rocks than others. Why not keep it at that?