Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I thought If you wanted race pedigree you should get a Sunn or a Cannondale... oh wait ;)

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Maybe you missed the point.

What I'm sayin is companies like Intense have a long history of racing, and push the US made angle pretty hard. Companies with hype like that usually charge a premium, for the name ya know? But that trend seems to be reversing.

I also don't care where things are made from a quality standpoint, as I know many frames coming out of asia are brilliant. But I do expect that when you get something made offshore, usually for cost reasons, that the savings in costs are passed on to the consumer. Thats not just bikes, but everything. I don't think thats unreasonable is it?

Its not just frames either, seems to be a lot of component companies doing it too.
I agree.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Jedi:: $3150, Asian made, no real pedigree other than Lance's amazing riding.

Intense M9: $3000, US made, richest racing pedigree out there, includes CC double barrel and Angleset.

Can't comment on the quality of either, but I know INtense has made some huge strides. Can't say anything about the Jedi as I've never seen one, but never heard any complaints.

What I don't get is why an Asian made frame costs more then a US made one that includes a super pricey shock AND headset. I have the same issue with the Evil bikes. One Ghost seems to be ready to put out US made bikes at a good price, and ROTEC has been doing it for years.

If it doesn't result in a cheaper bike, why is it asian made? Why are riders paying so much? I've got nothing against bike made offshore, but thats because they usually offer excellent quality at a lower price. Here, not so much.
To some extent, see my earlier post. Times they are once again a changing! Look at the food price spike that was announced last night. That was essentially driven by the rising (and wealthier growing) markets in Asia.

Fed Ex is already planning where to put their next international hubs when China becomes the next Japan. Soon, our frames will be made in India.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I own a frame from the same factory as the Jedi and Im pretty sure they have produced much less misaligned frames than intense.
Their frames may be straight, but at the expense of suspension that doesn't cycle out of the crate, ****ty paint, and cracks after short term use.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to the Revolt thread. ;)

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
with the Jedi, I see a switch in quality. The quality seems better than most American frames especially Intense. Personally I'm willing to pay more for quality, than a stamp that says "made in the US".

On the Intense quality issues.... to quote ICP "whats up with all the shims, how do they work?!"

not by miracle apparently, I helped one of my friends change the rear drop outs, and links (I forget which frame), but the shims were just crazy to deal with. PITA and did not reek of quality at all. Seemed like he was also always bending or breaking something on that frame and he was fast but only like 135lbs.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
well, i´m sort of a canfield fanboy since i´ve got one of their frames for cheap. but honestly, for the kind of money a 2011 jedi would cost me (2799,- € without shock), i might aswell get a nicolai ion st with custom geo, anodizing and a five year warranty. but in the end it´s apples and oranges.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If you ride a jedi, you will instantly know why its worth 3k Also worth mentioning it comes with an elka shock, and a G2 chainguide. Maybe the intense is better money, but results aside, doesnt make it a better bike. I have nothing against intense, but it is not a jedi, no other bike is, believe the hype, and to any haters who do want some seat time, i ride diablo all the time, hit me a PM and its yours for a run

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you ride a jedi, you will instantly know why its worth 3k Also worth mentioning it comes with an elka shock, and a G2 chainguide. Maybe the intense is better money, but results aside, doesnt make it a better bike. I have nothing against intense, but it is not a jedi, no other bike is, believe the hype, and to any haters who do want some seat time, i ride diablo all the time, hit me a PM and its yours for a run
why don't you buy an Intense so you can speak from experience? :busted:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
why don't you buy an Intense so you can speak from experience? :busted:
Maybe busted, but no other bike except the superco silencer and the balfa has any signifigant amount of rearward travel, which is why the jedi (literally) accelerates on rocks, and pushes out of berms. I am not saying the M9 is a bad bike, the geo is probably dialed, and it has been proven on the WC, however, i think that if you gave the intense team jedis, and i got a M9, i wouldnt be the WC winner, and id say they would do equal or better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Maybe busted, but no other bike except the superco silencer and the balfa has any signifigant amount of rearward travel, which is why the jedi (literally) accelerates on rocks, and pushes out of berms. I am not saying the M9 is a bad bike, the geo is probably dialed, and it has been proven on the WC, however, i think that if you gave the intense team jedis, and i got a M9, i wouldnt be the WC winner, and id say they would do equal or better.
so how do you explain the trek diesel? that was a fairly high single pivot, so it had some rearward travel, yet that thing was a total piece of sh*t.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
so how do you explain the trek diesel? that was a fairly high single pivot, so it had some rearward travel, yet that thing was a total piece of sh*t.
High bb, steep headangle, and really weird geo overall. My friend had one about 6 years ago...till it snapped. Tried it a couple times, always felt like poo

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
so you compare a single pivot(and an old 1) with a parallel link jedi, wonderful comparison.

Just because its a single pivot, doesnt mean it has rearward travel, or even enough to matter

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
nice to finally see it...i know someone with a proto that wouldn't let me see it! although, it just looks like the formula 1 to me. I'm not a huge fan of the jedi's in general. they feel off to me. not sure why
I was thinking the same thing. Looks pretty Formula 1-esque. Like a Jedi/F1 hybrid. Looks good to me though. I dont see what the big deal is with the downtube...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I was thinking the same thing. Looks pretty Formula 1-esque. Like a Jedi/F1 hybrid. Looks good to me though. I dont see what the big deal is with the downtube...
The new jedi works very similar to the F1, they (among other things) made it "easier" to handle, its quite nimble and small, but still has the stability of the big guy. Chainstay is very short static, but works its way out 2.5 inches by the time it bottom outs, its agile, but not "poppy":on a "normal" bike the wheel rebounds, DOWN, or OUT, which can give you that pop (and also that bucking) The jedi rebounds IN, so when you G out it wont pop you, the hardest thing to get used to i thought was jumping, it jumps great, but it jumps "low" (in my experience) If i came off a foward/vertical pivot bike and came onto the jedi, i would notice the back wheel "falling" out when you jump, which as you get used to becomes quite useful. Its a monster in the rocks, half the size of some of the bikes out there, but twice as fast and stable, its quite the bike, I encourage everybody to at least try it, when you will, you will totally understand the hype :thumb:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Gimme a break. If the Jedi was anywhere close to as good as you say, privateers would be all over them winning races. Semi pros would be on them, winning races. Pros would be on them, relabelling them under whatever company they had to. No doubt they are decent bikes, but now way they are as good as the hype on the website. Keep drinkin the Koolaid though.

Incidentally, that bafla and superco you referenced? Both single pivots.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so you compare a single pivot(and an old 1) with a parallel link jedi, wonderful comparison.

Just because its a single pivot, doesnt mean it has rearward travel, or even enough to matter
no, i was comparing it to the balfa, which was a single pivot, that you mentioned, as well as the superco silencer, which is ALSO a single pivot (albeit with a linkage driven suspension) that you also mentioned :clue: (and I know for a fact that you haven't ridden all of the aforementioned bikes)

my point, that you obviously missed, is that having a rearward axle path does not necessarily mean its good bike.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Gimme a break. If the Jedi was anywhere close to as good as you say, privateers would be all over them winning races. Semi pros would be on them, winning races. Pros would be on them, relabelling them under whatever company they had to. No doubt they are decent bikes, but now way they are as good as the hype on the website. Keep drinkin the Koolaid though.

Incidentally, that bafla and superco you referenced? Both single pivots.
The jedi won US open, by a privateer.Also won nationals under mitch ropelato. Not bad for having no team. You may say they are not popular, but i have been seeing more and more where i ride. Two people i know bought them after riding mine, took 1 run to make their mind up. If you are near diablo your welcome to take mine for a spin.

The balfa and superco are indeed single pivots, but look at the angle their swingarms come down on,they go from slanted down to horizontal creating rearwards, (7 to 9 on a clock) compared to an orange which is nearly horizontal to up (as it also comes towards the front triangle) (9 to 10/11) they are also pulley wheel bikes which is necessary if a bike has a significant amount of rearward travel.

If you think sam hill or any of the pros are going to rebel against their paying companies to ride a jedi, you have gone cuckoo

@ jonkranked, have ridden a balfa, granted only for a run, have NOT ridden a superco silencer, but should it ever come out, id be first in line!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The jedi won US open, by a privateer.Also won nationals under mitch ropelato. Not bad for having no team. You may say they are not popular, but i have been seeing more and more where i ride. Two people i know bought them after riding mine, took 1 run to make their mind up. If you are near diablo your welcome to take mine for a spin.

The balfa and superco are indeed single pivots, but look at the angle their swingarms come down on,they go from slanted down to horizontal creating rearwards, (7 to 9 on a clock) compared to an orange which is nearly horizontal to up (as it also comes towards the front triangle) (9 to 10/11) they are also pulley wheel bikes which is necessary if a bike has a significant amount of rearward travel.

If you think sam hill or any of the pros are going to rebel against their paying companies to ride a jedi, you have gone cuckoo

history lesson: back in the 90's and even the early 2000's, ton's of pro's were riding on rebranded intense m1's.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

sloped down swingarm swings up to create rearwards

Needs a taller fork (which could theoretically give it more rearwards if the A2C was enough)

Bottom link shoves the rear triangle out

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I am not saying the M9 is a bad bike, the geo is probably dialed, and it has been proven on the WC, however, i think that if you gave the intense team jedis, and i got a M9, i wouldnt be the WC winner, and id say they would do equal or better.
Perhaps the 'Bros (and Banshee for that matter) should make an effort to change that and throw some money at the sport on a professional level. I mean Transition has done it and so has Evil. Both smaller companies that are trying to build some racing success and earn some credibility. I've heard enough good things about the Jedi and Legend to believe they are capable bikes, but there is a big difference between World Cup performance and weekend warrior status.

edit: forgot about Banshee - both Geronimo and the factory team. Doh!

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Jedi:: $3150, Asian made, no real pedigree other than Lance's amazing riding.

Intense M9: $3000, US made, richest racing pedigree out there, includes CC double barrel and Angleset.
Sorry for my ignorance here but where are intense frames made? do they do them in house or are the a product of Sapa or someone else?

If a company has the means to fully manufacture their frames in house, once the machines are there and things are paid for ect, the prices should be less then contracting the building out to someone else. I too think that the $3000+ for a Taiwan frame is getting ridiculous, regardless of the quality, i would like to put my money towards the local economy as much as possible, and the only way i won't is if the price of something made in "Xiyansha Chowannic Hiroshimo" is if the price is just too good to looks at alternatives.

How many frames does canfield manage to get made each year? I wonder if their production numbers come even close to Turners or intenses. The less you buy the more it costs, thus if canfield were to have their stuff made at SAPA or some other north American plant, it would be quite possible that they would cost $3700+ and that is just too much, they wouldn't sell. I can respect their business standpoint as they need to make money as well in order to keep going, and unfortunately they don't have a larger model line (like intense, turner, banshee, ect) to generate more sales and potentially better manufacturing terms with pacifica.

Foes Hydro is $2500 and US made
In house built with a company thats been around for over a decade and had fallen out of the lime light, they are aiming at lower prices in order to sell anything at this point.

history lesson: back in the 90's and even the early 2000's, ton's of pro's were riding on rebranded intense m1's.
this is true, but what the hell else was out there to ride

i'd be all over an intense too.

Today, bikes are really so similar that the only differences each brand has is there marketing, and any brand today that is successful does it well, whether it be formal, through kinematics, magazines, reviews, teams, online blabber propaganda, top finishes in competitions, what have you.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
No idea why 'demo9' had to bring 'Intense' into a jedi thread and start hating, but to answer Tetreault's question...we do everything here in at our temecula ca. factory, except paint and anodize (but we use a painter in town and anodize in town in an effort to keep money in the community and reduce emissions from shuttling our vans all over so cal). Also, our prices have come down a lot in the last couple years.

And to hop on jonkranked's point about riders on m1's back in the day....just a sidenote, my wife Leigh Donovan and buddy Brian Lopes raced for Mongoose, were paid six figures by mongoose and they chose (were allowed by management) to ride Intense frames back then...just sayin.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If a company has the means to fully manufacture their frames in house, once the machines are there and things are paid for ect, the prices should be less then contracting the building out to someone else

In house built with a company thats been around for over a decade and had fallen out of the lime light, they are aiming at lower prices in order to sell anything at this point.
if having everything already in place for manufacturing would make it cheaper, then the asian companies should be making their bikes cheap as hell. those factories make bikes for a lot of companies and it helps drive their mfg cost down

in-house and American made for a lot less then a lot of Asian mfg'd bikes. and i see more Foes frames around that i do Cannfield or Banshee.
plus they have 3 DH frames

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
in-house and American made for a lot less then a lot of Asian mfg'd bikes. and i see more Foes frames around that i do Cannfield or Banshee.
plus they have 3 DH frames
around my parts i haven't seen a foes since about 2005. sorry for thinking that was north american wide.

american made in house by a "larger" brand should mean less money then 50 frames made in taiwan. or better put i bet the canfield bros make nearly the same margin per frame (or less) then the top dogs at intense

and who has 3 dh frames?