Quantcast

Canfield Lucky in the hands of a customer...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I went and got my bike this afternoon from Allen at DropNZone. I can't thank Allen enough for getting the bike together for me and being super easy to deal with and doing it all for a great price.

Anyway here's the specs:

Canfield Lucky Frame - Large with Fox DHX 5
Rock Shox Totem Coil
Saint Cranks
E13 STS
Thomson X4 Stem
Thomson Seatpost
SDG saddle
FSA Cartridge H/S
Truvativ Holzfeller bars (31.8)
Oury lock on grips with Diety bar caps.
Avid Juicy Carbons, 8" f&r
SRAM X9 shifter and rear derailliuer
SRAM 11-34 cassette
DT 440 hubs f&r laced to Syncros DS32 rims.
Maxxis Minion 3C front tire, Bontrager 2.6" rear
Axiom pedals (have some Easton to go on)

The bike weighs in at 42.5 lbs on the digital scales, which is pretty good. I have a ti spring on the way to take off about 1/2lb and I could at some point go for a lighter bar, cranks and rims. My previous bike was a Ironhorse 7.7 of the 2005 vintage and this bike is the same weight as that bike was.

The anodised finish on the frame is really nice and hard to capture with a camera without some daylight to help.

Full ride report to come after the weekend. First impressions are of a progressive leverage ratio as the start of the stroke is really plush and then the shock ramps up. I have the boost valve fully out and minimal air pressure in the shock. Feels good so far.

Anyway here are some bad photo's. They'll have to do till the sun rises tomorrow.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I'm running the bike in 7" mode and that BB height is 14" and I'm not sure on the head angle but it's looking around 66 degrees to me. Low and slack, just the way I like it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
cool bike. will be looking for it on the shore. unfortunately our weather looks like its going to be crap this weekend (chance of snow this eve?!)... *shakes fist at sky*

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
It looks much cooler in the metal. It's hard to show how nice the anodised finish is in photo's.

Xy9ine... I'm still going to ride tomorrow. :)

It's cold out now, I've been ripping around the streets on it.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
god there are a ton of sick frames coming out. way to go through Allen, he's my bike building hero. he's done my past 2 bikes, both yetis, and they have turned out amazingly. i just can't wait until i have another excuse to buy a new frame....mmmmmm....

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Okay I've been ripping around the streets.... pavement ride report. It's a progressive linkage for sure, plush to start and then ramps up. The rear end feels really stiff and my wheel waggling technique brings me to the same opinion. The bike seems to pedal well, stiffening when you decided to crank it hard. I hit some tame dirt jumps near my house in the dim street lights and it jumps well. The fork is noticeably lighter than my Travis, so jumping takes some getting used too.

All in, I'm a happy bunny. :D

I can't wait to point this bike down a decent hill and hit some berms that'll test the suspension.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
That's a nice clean solid buildup Allen did for ya.

edit:
The e13 police will be over at your place very soon.
I'm waiting for the e13 Police...:busted:

I did rotate the guide forward more, so I'm good to go now.

It's fricken snowing pretty hard outside! I'm at a low elevation so I guess it's snowing harder on the north shore...:disgust:

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
that bike is sooo soo sick. how much that end up costing complete
Complete cost is hard to say... I don't have the final reciept from Allen yet. My estimates are around $5.5k canandian. :shocked:

Having said that Allen gave me some great pricing on the components I got from him.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Well I did a very wet muddy ride today and I've also been fiddling with the frame more... so things I like:
The rear thru axle is aluminium and threads into the drive side drop out, so only a 6mm hex wrench needed.
The stiffness of the rear triangle, I took the bike down a rocky off camber section and the bike felt solid, tracked nice and straight.
The supple start to the stroke - on he rooty sections the bike is nice and plush.

Things I don't like:
Getting it dirty. :)

I need to ride it on some steeper stuff but so far the geometry feels good and the bike seems to really start to fky once the speed picks up. The Totem feels great already too. I need to play with the settings a little more, but I think it's going to be a nice fork for the riding around here.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
If your Lucky is anything like my Balance...you wont be dissapointed..Super fun bike.
Quality, craftsmanship, geometry that is actually designed by someone who rides..What more could you ask for?
I guess free would be nice