Quantcast

cannabis country

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by slein
hemp's a fabulous material, but for some reason (be it racist or stupidity) the dudes in control don't want it. hemp will take away money from big-fat-rich-white people, because they won't be able to get people to pick their cotton anymore. using hemp is better than what we are doing right now (and i don't need to quote any sources BS). its production is very sustainable. there are other hard facts that show hemp is beneficial to society...

however, producing it will hurt the US economy. and that would be SOOOOO bad for the planet. burning fossil fuels are great too (not).

everyone seems to dance around the issue of why MJ is not legal. there is no good reason to prohibit its use. i don't to force it on anyone because it is their choice if they want to use it. obviously i'm not gonna let a kid smoke it, but there comes a time in everyone's life when they can make educated decisions. the current state of affairs puts fear into people... this fear stems from abuse of power: the government.

open your eyes and see the truth. you'll see it even quicker after puffing on a nice phatty.

as for trafficking of the substance... HOLY COW, MAN! cannabis can grow pretty much anywhere (like your closet or garden). you grow it, you smoke it, and the only people gettin yo' dough is the power company and government....

you can carry a gun (that can kill), but you can't carry weed. hmmmmmmm..... sounds like a rocket science to me. i still can't figure it out.
Good spiel. Very much on point.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
hemp will take away money from big-fat-rich-white people, because they won't be able to get people to pick their cotton anymore.

open your eyes and see the truth. you'll see it even quicker after puffing on a nice phatty.

The two main parts about your schpeel that struck me (above)

I think that regardless of what substances you decide to make legal, there is always still going to be someone in control. How would hemp stop the evil rich white men? It seems to me that even if it were made legal, they are still the ones with the money to mass-cultivate and produce and regulate it.

It would seem as though nothing in your attempt would be solved.

About seeing the truth, i prefer to look with a clear conscience and a clear state of mind. Not to say that i havent seen through the clouded eyes of a stoner before, but im better off uninhibited by mind altering chemicals.

I believe the truth is obvious, but some feel the need to justify their wrongdoings by attaining warm hugs from the masses. Its kinda sick.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by BurlySurly
The two main parts about your schpeel that struck me (above)

I think that regardless of what substances you decide to make legal, there is always still going to be someone in control. How would hemp stop the evil rich white men? It seems to me that even if it were made legal, they are still the ones with the money to mass-cultivate and produce and regulate it.

It would seem as though nothing in your attempt would be solved.

About seeing the truth, i prefer to look with a clear conscience and a clear state of mind. Not to say that i havent seen through the clouded eyes of a stoner before, but im better off uninhibited by mind altering chemicals.

I believe the truth is obvious, but some feel the need to justify their wrongdoings by attaining warm hugs from the masses. Its kinda sick.
It's true that the rich will remain the rich, if hemp production was legalised then the same people would control it as control the alternatives. (Much the same as will happen with fossil fuel alternatives, but currently they will bleed every last cent out of it).

Legalising Marijuana?

Tricky one, I see very little harm in the odd spliff or two, but if the whole nation were stoned it would be rather wierd. I do however find it odd that we are prohibited from growing and consuming a plant but we can happily rear and kill animals.

I honestly believe that alcohol and tobacco are more harmful that marijuana but that's not necessarily an argument for legalisation.

I wouldn't vote against it being legalised though, I do enjoy a toke now and again but it can cause stagnation if you're not careful.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
hemp's a fabulous material, but for some reason (be it racist or stupidity) the dudes in control don't want it. hemp will take away money from big-fat-rich-white people, because they won't be able to get people to pick their cotton anymore. using hemp is better than what we are doing right now (and i don't need to quote any sources BS). its production is very sustainable. there are other hard facts that show hemp is beneficial to society...

however, producing it will hurt the US economy. and that would be SOOOOO bad for the planet. burning fossil fuels are great too (not).

everyone seems to dance around the issue of why MJ is not legal. there is no good reason to prohibit its use. i don't to force it on anyone because it is their choice if they want to use it. obviously i'm not gonna let a kid smoke it, but there comes a time in everyone's life when they can make educated decisions. the current state of affairs puts fear into people... this fear stems from abuse of power: the government.

as for trafficking of the substance... HOLY COW, MAN! cannabis can grow pretty much anywhere (like your closet or garden). you grow it, you smoke it, and the only people gettin yo' dough is the power company and government....

you can carry a gun (that can kill), but you can't carry weed. hmmmmmmm..... sounds like a rocket science to me. i still can't figure it out.
When was the last time people picked cotton by hand? I fail to see the racism connection.

You are wrong about the trafficking. Well over 90% of the weed that is sent to the street is imported from outside the US. The USCG stops about 40-60% of the attempted importations depending on bugetary constraints. The CG could stop nearly all of itl (oh you stoners would vote against the Senators that put that budget into effect wouldn't you) but the Govt. wont give them the budget for it.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
yup, and apparently a lot of the pot that makes it into the US comes from Canada too. The demand is there because the US economy keeps chugging on. oh, and our Hell's Angels compadres need something to do besides prostitution and cocaine.

i can see your point (that's right BS) about the rich controlling the growth of hemp. however, what i've been trying to point out is that legalizing hemp would serve only to rock the kasBAHHHH. can you just imagine the faces on people? it'll be like godzilla was on its way.

as for decriminalizing or legalizing MJ: what's the real harm? i really can't see any. sure, the "common person" can not deal effectively with change. i also believe it shouldn't have been made illegal in the first place. yet that was so long ago, and all the reasons why it was are slipping into thin air.

just like puffin on a phattie. gotta luv it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

i can see your point (that's right BS) about the rich controlling the growth of hemp. however, what i've been trying to point out is that legalizing hemp would serve only to rock the kasBAHHHH. can you just imagine the faces on people? it'll be like godzilla was on its way.

Im sure you're only half serious here, but dont you think the world is volatile enough? I fail to see the benefit here.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Damn True
The USCG stops about 40-60% of the attempted importations depending on bugetary constraints. The CG could stop nearly all of itl (oh you stoners would vote against the Senators that put that budget into effect wouldn't you) but the Govt. wont give them the budget for it.
What is the current budget, and what budget would be necessary for 100% effectiveness?

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
the volatility in the world, i would have to say, is that men are always in a pissing match to see who can get ahead the farthest. sure, competition is necessary in the capitalist world.

it would be best if the government had a big hand in the production of hemp and trafficking of MJ. the money would go to the state, and people - from the rich to the poor - would benefit by having extra spending dough and clothing that would last a hell of a lot longer. therein, however, lies the problem. if you make something less disposable and longer lasting, then you'll most likely end up with an economy that could eventually stagnate. that would be a shame for the US and the western world. the system was originally designed to do this, but through the exploitation of the marketplace, we have become a society where possessions and the replacement of such items is necessary to make it through the day.

changing the system to make things run smoother is always a good idea. give the police one less thing to worry about, then they can really begin to do a better job stopping substances that do cause irrevocable hurt and harm.

wouldn't it be great to have something that lasted? obviously friction and chaos make things expire sooner, but having a product that is designed to eventually fail is absurd. that's why hemp is great.

as for MJ, it doesn't harm or hurt anyone. laws are suppose to be legislated for protection. how does this law protect anyone?

and don't worry, i have a counter-argument for everthing you say

:eek: :D :cool: :devil:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by ohio
What is the current budget, and what budget would be necessary for 100% effectiveness?

The current budget is miniscule. The USAF spends more money on support of the F-16 program than the USCG's entire budget. Despite that, the CG manages to stop on average about 50% of attempted at sea importations. Of course there are other agencies that concentrate on stopping shipment by other means, and I don't know the numbers as to their effectiveness. Overland importations from Mexico and Canada account for the majority of the remainder of importation attempts. But at sea importation represents the largest product stream.

There was an estimate in the early '90s that said with a budget increase of slightly less than 50% the CG could stop at sea importations at over 90% effectiveness. Pretty good deal if you ask me. That budgetary increase would still keep the CG budget under that of manageing the USAFs F-16 fleet.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
guess the war on drugs ain't that important if you gotta spend more on fighter jets and less on the homeless or single mothers. but hey, its a capitalist world.... dog gets to eat the little guy.

say you stopped policing MJ.... that would leave a lot more money to get the real dangerous stuff out of your country. yet we all know that drugs are bad.

bwhahahahahaha

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The current budget is miniscule. The USAF spends more money on support of the F-16 program than the USCG's entire budget.

There was an estimate in the early '90s that said with a budget increase of slightly less than 50% the CG could stop at sea importations at over 90% effectiveness.
What are the raw numbers? I have no idea how much it costs to maintain F-16s, but it can't be cheap.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
does the national guard use f-16's, or is it just the armed forces?

if the NG does, then can they smoke bud too?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Yes, the National Guard operates F-16's.
No, the National Guard cannot smoke pot. Mainly because it impairs one's ability to operate a billion dollar fighter plane just as it impairs one's ability to operate a bike or car.
The National Guard is subject to the same rules of conduct (UCMJ) as the rest of the military.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
operate a bike? like a motorcycle right? cuz if yer talkin about ridin (like a mountain bike), then bud doesn't impair your ability... at least not in my case.

are NG'men permitted to live in big cities with SMOG? i hear that impairs a lot of stuff too. tobacco? alcohol? i've heard about pilots flying while impaired, and apparently they do just fine. guess it must be that fandangled AUTOPILOT.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
operate a bike? like a motorcycle right? cuz if yer talkin about ridin (like a mountain bike), then bud doesn't impair your ability... at least not in my case.

are NG'men permitted to live in big cities with SMOG? i hear that impairs a lot of stuff too. tobacco? alcohol? i've heard about pilots flying while impaired, and apparently they do just fine. guess it must be that fandangled AUTOPILOT.

LOL!
BWAHAHAHAHA!

So lemme get this straight.......in your EXPERT opinion pot will impair your ability to operate a motorcycle but not a bicycle?

You were stoned when you wrote that weren't you?

As for the rest of your comment.......too disjointed, irrelevant, and absurd to bother commenting on.

Please people, be sober when replying, and do try have a valid POINT to your statement.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
u got it big chief. anything you say... us stoners will do anything to appease the people of your silly faction. after all, you'd probably go crying to mommy when pot is legal.

no, i wasn't under the influence of THC when i wrote that last post. as if you're a supposed expert about effects of the influence of substances in the body.

u wanna know how cops can tell that someone is stoned while driving? its because they're slow and careful.

and, goofball, every drug (including legal ones) affects everybody in a different way. i know someone who can not ride when he smokes. i know others that can.

operating a motorcycle is much different that riding a bike. you'll have an accident on a motorcycle by not paying attention must faster than on a giant xcx ds/1 (nrs linkage, not the crappy warp).

u sed: No, the National Guard cannot smoke pot. Mainly because it impairs one's ability to operate a billion dollar fighter plane just as it impairs one's ability to operate a bike or car.

my retort: are NG'men permitted to live in big cities with SMOG? i hear that impairs a lot of stuff too. tobacco? alcohol? i've heard about pilots flying while impaired, and apparently they do just fine. guess it must be that fandangled AUTOPILOT.

your attention span is relatively brief. you must be the one smokin some fine bud.

i'll let you know when i'm stoned, so don't bother to assume that you're smart or something.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LOL!
BWAHAHAHAHA!

So lemme get this straight.......in your EXPERT opinion pot will impair your ability to operate a motorcycle but not a bicycle?

You were stoned when you wrote that weren't you?

As for the rest of your comment.......too disjointed, irrelevant, and absurd to bother commenting on.

Please people, be sober when replying, and do try have a valid POINT to your statement.
-------------------------------------------------

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
Prov 16:18

"Neither do I condemn you"
Jesus
Nice juxtaposition there..

Just 'cos you disagree with a point does not make it less valid or did you really have that much trouble understanding the post?

For how long exactly do you thing that someone shouldn't ride a bike or drive a car after having a joint, and how does that compare with alcohol?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by fluff
Nice juxtaposition there..

Just 'cos you disagree with a point does not make it less valid or did you really have that much trouble understanding the post?

For how long exactly do you thing that someone shouldn't ride a bike or drive a car after having a joint, and how does that compare with alcohol?

Well it takes a man of 180lbs about 1 hour to metabolise 1floz of alcohol. Of course the effects can last longer depending on health, nutrition, how much and what kind of food is in his system, hydration, recent quality of sleep, fatigue etc.

I don't know how long it takes the human body to completely metabolise THC to the point of non-impairment. I'd like to know. Do you know?

Let's have data from some sort of reputible source such as an accredited medical journal rather than from NORML.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
... is metabolised within two to four hours after consumption - 75% is gone usually within one hour. it is fat soluble, and it will make its way out of the body via urine within two days to six weeks, depending mainly on usage frequency (one vs chronic).

psychomotor effects can be affected even after 24 hours (test was done on pilots). research has shown that MJ users have less psychomotor impairment compared to EtOH users. however, chronic users faired better than one time users - the same could be said about EtOH.
all the studies involved statistical analysis, so i had to take everything with a grain of salt.

... happily THC-free for one week and counting.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Thanks,

One thing missing, though understandibly so is dosage. In my previous post about the alcohol I quoted the data based on one fluid ounce of alcohol. With THC the dosage is unknown. Quantity of THC varries from joint to joint or bowl to bowl because the quantity of the material smoked changes and the source is frequently different.

Therein lies a portion of the danger in using an uncontrolled "controlled" substance. You never know how much THC is in the dope.

You mentioned that the psychomotor impairment is less than in EtOH users. Does the impairment last longer?

Again, thanks for the data.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
true, the dosage is important. it depends on the THC content and physiological factors.

the data suggests many things: however, i believe its still relatively inconclusive because of the amount of variables. it might take at least a day or two to somewhat fully recover, but that may depend on the person and the frequency of use. it could be a tolerance issue as such.

for the most part, the effects are temporary, and will definitely subsede over time - i'm guessing at most a week, depending on dose and frequency of use. i haven't smoked a dube in several days (despite a visit from my source last night) and i think i have felt a difference. withdrawal (that's what i'm gonna call it) is only temporary, just like any other shock to the body.

i'm pretty sure i'll kick the habit, but i don't see it happening any time soon

:D :cool:

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
Then bring it on, muthahfuggah!!!:) I'm riding this weekend at Gambrill/Watershed in the snow and I can tell you fo'sho'- nothing beats snow B's before a snowy DH run.:eek: :dead:
We've got a freeride park in Richmond (hush hush), wanna come check it out Sunday? PM me.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
We've got a freeride park in Richmond (hush hush), wanna come check it out Sunday? PM me.

...spill the DL aspects of the locale, but I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. I'd like to come down myself, sometime, but my B-day is Saturday and it'd ruin my wife's surprise to be gone.:devil: :)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Is your passion for pots legalization based on the fact that it is your depressant drug of choice,
its a hallucinogen (mild).

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I think it is ridiculous that pot is illegal.....BUT....I was just thinking, WHEN pot becomes legal here in the US, what will happen to all the people in the ghetto (or anywhere else for that matter) who rely on pot as their main source of income? I dont see them going out & finding jobs.
This is the only problem I can see that legalization would cause.

( I only say ghetto because if you buy commercial pot it usually comes from the ghetto or at least through it)

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
...spill the DL aspects of the locale, but I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. I'd like to come down myself, sometime, but my B-day is Saturday and it'd ruin my wife's surprise to be gone.:devil: :)
Ladders, log rides, jumps, teeter totters......all hidden in the woods in the middle of the city........it's so sweet

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Wow, legalizing pot.

We're obviously all going to start smoking weed at every opportunity. I mean, I'll probably quit working and just smoke up all day. It was SOOO hard to get my hands on weed before, but now with this new legislation they'll probably be selling it on every corner! Maybe if we're lucky they'll go door to door, or deliver.

It'll be great. Just like when they legalized toplessness for women in public. Lemme tell ya, it's hard to find a woman with a top on up here now. They just stormed the streets half nude.

Goes to show, having the right to do something means that everyone should do it, and will do it as much as possible.

:rolleyes:

Give me a break. If you don't smoke weed now, you're not all of a sudden going to take it up just because it's legal.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
got the chance to smoke some bud the other day... red rooster, and it was mighty fine. then, i built a paint booth in the basement, built some shelves and vacuumed the house. i didn't even feel the need to watch tv or eat pizza.

smoking pot has not taken anything away from my life. i don't think things would have been different if i hadn't started - i still got lots of stuff to be thankful for.

what would happen, though, if i were suddenly given a criminal record for possession of MJ? i'd lose my professional status, be ostracised by my friends and family that don't know i smoke and end up living on the streets - or worse yet, sell drugs to maintain a decent living. i'd be miffed, for i know that i didn't hurt anyone or anything in my trials and tribulations upon an MJ binge.

smoking pot is not wasting potential - its the unrightousely imposed rules that wastes potential.