Quantcast

Cannondale Fire Hub - Freehub service

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Almost all hubs just need to have the axle removed and then the freehub body is usually either an 8mm or 10mm allen key to take it off. Some freehub bodies actually just slide right out once the axle is removed. Either way though i'm not particularly familiar with the Cannondale Fire Hub, so the method may vary slightly, but if you got the axle off and the freehub doesn't just slide out or have a 8mm or 10mm allen key slot, give Cannondale a call directly and ask them. Be careful taking out the axle as well, if the hub has loose ball bearings, it's best to take the axle out over a cup or something that'll catch the bearings as they fall out. A magnetic tray is best, and also use fresh grease to repack them.

Good luck!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Thanks for the advise. I tried pulling the freehub body off and checking for a place to use either an 8 or 10mm hex key, so it looks like I'm calling cannondale.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
As a heads up, many times if it's a 10mm allen wrench you won't actually see where the hex sides are. You just need to pull out the axle (unscrew the 14 or 15mm and 17mm lock nuts with a cone wrench), then insert the allen wrench into the freehub body as if it's the axle.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I figured it out searching around online. It looks like cannondale uses a 12mm allen rather than an 8 or 10. Looking inside I could see something hex shaped, but I just figured it was part of the hub since my whole allen set didn't work on it. I guess now I have to go find a 12 mm allen key.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Guess i was wrong. Got my hands on a 12mm hex key, and it's too big to fit inside the hub. Anyone else got expirence with these things? If I can't rebuild this stupid thing, I'll have to buy a new hub with money that was going to pay for my labor day trip to mammoth :(