Quantcast

Cannondale Gemini 900 --- feedback

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My brother has a chance to get a cannondale gemini 900 cheap....basically in trade for some work. Out of pocket costs for him would be about $3-400. Plus his labor, which to him his nothing since what he is trading is jeep fab work and he enjoys doing that stuff.

The bike is a 2008 and the list of components looks to pretty much be stock.

The bike is listed as a medium, my brother is just about 6'1 ish, and goes 18-190.

How will the fit be? The only comparison we can make locally is that he currently has a trek XC bike that is a large, I have a Kona Coiler that I believe to be a medium, and it is a decent fit for him.

He isn't looking to go out and win a world cup downhill race tomorrow, he just wants another bike to ride that's a full suspension and can handle some downhill/freeriding. Same as what I use my kona for.

Also in comparison how will this bike pedal? My Kona seems to pedal pretty well in my opinion, I don't mind it on all but the longest of cross country rides.

Also the guy is saying he paid 2800 new and is asking 1500...thoughts?

Thanks

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Ah gemini's. My first full suspension bike. A medium should be solid. People tend to like freeride bikes on the small side. I think I was about 6'5" or so when I was riding my large gemini and that was a good fit. 2800 new for a gemini 800 sounds a bit high. $1500 used also seems a bit high.

For examples >>>> http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?q=gemini&category=1&pmin=&pmax=&region=3

The gemini pedals fairly well for a single pivot. But remember, its NOT an xc bike, unless this guy has put lots of lighter parts on there its still a fairly heavy bike. That being said I rode mine on xc trails all the time (palos heights outside chicago if you're familiar). But it's a solid first FR/DH bike. Nothing glaringly wrong with it, nothing super duper amazing, good all arounder.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The gemini pedals fairly well for a single pivot. But remember, its NOT an xc bike, unless this guy has put lots of lighter parts on there its still a fairly heavy bike. That being said I rode mine on xc trails all the time (palos heights outside chicago if you're familiar). But it's a solid first FR/DH bike. Nothing glaringly wrong with it, nothing super duper amazing, good all arounder.

So what you are saying is it will be a lot like my coiler is for me....a nice full suspension with decent travel to ride at a decent price...not the best downhiller, not hte best pedaller and not an XC bike...which is pretty much what I figured.

Thanks for the pricing information as well. I'll pass it along.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I thought the year was fishy. C'Dale has stopped making the Gemini in 2007, and they only it was a single model without a number designation.

The last Gemini 900 was 2006. According to bikepedia, it was listed at $2300 msrp, but he probably bought it new for $2k.

A four year old FR bike, if heavily used, is no bargain. The wheels in particular could be toasted, even if they are straight. I would check spoke tension if it is tight and even, as well as the true.

I would ask when the last time the rear suspension was rebuilt as well. The answer is will probably be never, but that is another huge negative.

I would definitely check over the brakes too. HFX-9 is the reason why Hayes has such a bad reputation.

$1500 for a $2000-2200 4 year old bike? I would pay $1300 if it was totally mint, brought into the garage and sat.

I would offer $900-1000, depending the actual wear.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
He says it was never ridden, clearly he doesnt know exactly what he even has, I'll make sure we check it over pretty well before offering any kind of cash on the bike.

It's actually going to be more of a trade for work anyway.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Most single pivot bikes are just workhorses. They ride fine, only one set of pivots to service.

I think you will be happy if you get the right deal.