Quantcast

Cannondale Help

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
I have a 2004 gemini DH and i have been having serious problems with the shock. It tops out badly, I ended up getting my current shock fixed once, and that stopped the problem for a few months, when it started happening again i got fed up with the shock and bought a new one. About 5 minutes ago i put the new shock on, and its doing the same thing, im at a loss, i have no idea whats going on. Does anyone know, or could anyone suggest a shop in the bay area that knows cannondales well and could help me.
thanks
-ben

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I hate to do this, really I do, but you'd have better luck asking this question in the Cannondale-specifc forum over at http://www.mtbr.com

There just aren't that many of us fat-tubed junkies here on RM.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
cannondales need all the help they can get.

the problem is with the shock. not the bike.(the bike has issues all it's own. but that's another story.)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, if your frame is out of alignment, it could be causing recurring damage to the shock over time. Still, my bet's on it being a shock issue. If the 2004 Gemini DH has the 9.5x3 shock over 7" travel, it's got a very low leverage ratio, too, which means it's pretty easy on the shock.

What shock was stock, and what shock did you buy?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Cannondale help:

1) Don't but a Cannondale
2) If for some reason you happen to find yourself the owner of a Cannondale, find a rich idiot poser and sell it to him, then buys real bike.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Changleen said:
Which is defined exactly how...? As someone who cares more about the image of someone's bike rather than how they're riding it...?

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
MikeD said:
Well, if your frame is out of alignment, it could be causing recurring damage to the shock over time. Still, my bet's on it being a shock issue. If the 2004 Gemini DH has the 9.5x3 shock over 7" travel, it's got a very low leverage ratio, too, which means it's pretty easy on the shock.

What shock was stock, and what shock did you buy?

HAHAHA, I bought the frame from you remember?
The shock it came with had this problem (6way swinger) and i had it rebuilt which fixed the problem for a few months, when it happend again i decided to buy another shock, which I did, (another 6way) and its doing the same thing, I really home the frame is not messed up.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, sorry to hear that...

The Swingers do have a rep for breaking down...mine hasn't (on the Gemini I bought to replace the one I sold to you), but I've honestly ridden it 3 times altogether, so it hasn't had much of a chance. (Just haven't DH'd since I got a new job and started moving all over the place.)

Most people who have the Fox on the frame seem really happy with it...I was going to try one if the Manitou gave me ****. I'm surprised you bought a second Swinger instead of trying to have Manitou work it out. Anyhow, hope you can get her running...sucks to hear...

MD

Kopiklokoli

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Nor Cal, of course
well i just got back to the bike and now that i had left it for a while i noticed oil leaking out of the shock, so its blown. I'm sure the guy i bought it from wont be interested in taking it back, i guess thats the problem with buying from people on these sites.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Ouch, sorry to hear that. That's the problem with buying anything used. At least you should have already been under the assumption that you were going to need a different shock to remedy the problem, anyhow.

I am surprised to hear that it wasn't because you bought a sh*tty, fake, poseur bike, though.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Kopiklokoli said:
the guy i bought it from wont be interested in taking it back, i guess thats the problem with buying from people on these sites.
No, I'm not. Should I be?

MD