Quantcast

cannondale jekyll ultimate.....hahaha

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
8 grand....really?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......

what the fvck are manufacturers smoking...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Scott has been doing pricing like that for a while. Who takes Cannondale or Scott that seriously?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
The Jekyll Ultimate's competition:
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon $9400 (the 29er is $9900)
Santa Cruz Blur Carbon $7700
Trek Remedy 9.9 $8930.

I like the Jekyll with its super stiff Ballis Tec carbon, 15mm pivots, and switchable 90mm/150mm of rear travel. I demoed one at the Vermont Mountain bike festival (not the Ultimate tho, it was out, I was on a Carbon 1) and it was amazing.

Edit: I just checked Cannondale's web site and the highest priced Jekyll (Carbon 1) is $6900. Did they ax the Ultimate with XX?

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
That's what happens when you put highest end everything on a carbon bike. They make an aluminum Jekyll for under $3k. Down with the industry for giving us options!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's what happens when you put highest end everything on a carbon bike. They make an aluminum Jekyll for under $3k. Down with the industry for giving us options!
Lower volume brands charge less with more advance suspension designs (than Scott or Cannondale) and offer more custom configuration choices:

Pivot Cycles Mach 5.7 Carbon w/XTR: $7299
Ibis Mojo HD 140 w/XTR: $7091
SC Blur LT Carbon w/XTR: $7445

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Lower volume brands charge less with more advance suspension designs (than Scott or Cannondale) and offer more custom configuration choices:

Pivot Cycles Mach 5.7 Carbon w/XTR: $7299
Ibis Mojo HD 140 w/XTR: $7091
SC Blur LT Carbon w/XTR: $7445
Right, I remember seeing twin chamber shocks with adjustable travel on all of those. It's not a fair comparison. I agree with you though, by the way.

Just ride a Jekyll 3 and then get back to me. Awesome Bike.
I've ridden the Jekyll Carbon 2. It's a neat bicycle. I'd never spend money on one though.

Last edited:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Sometimes I feel like a baller when I'm out on the trail and see the guy in jeans and a t-shirt on an old hardtail with a Judy fork while I'm riding my 4-year-old Blur LT. He probably looks at me and wonders how I could spend that much on a bike. Then I see a guy on a carbon Stumpjumper and I wonder how he can spend that much on a bike.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
High end bikes are more expensive, but at the same time, the entry level stuff is cheaper than ever.

I think the Jekyll Ultimate is a sweet bike. I'd love to try out that Fox Dyad shock. Or a carbon frame.

And hey, if Cannondale can sell a few to some rich Doctors, more power to them...people spend way more on stuff way more ridiculous (in my opinion) - stereos, cars, boats, jewelry, etc.

Whatever makes someone happy!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
It's marketing too. If you test ride the $9,000 bike and fall in love with it, suddenly taking something further down the model line at only $7,000 seems like a complete bargain, you're saving $2,000! Sure that may still be far more than you wanted to spend but the buyer still leaves with a sense that he's made a great deal.

It's the same reason why expensive tv's are at the front of the electrical store

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I buy the nicest bikes I can comfortably afford. If I was making 6 figures, I would buy fancier bikes. If I was making $200k, I would have no issues dropping 8 or 9 on a trail bike. But not anything made by Cannondale.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, unless all of you are riding rigid steel frames, thank our bike companies for continuing to push the envelope.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Educate yourself.

http://www.cannondale.com/innovation/
The tiles are clickable. You might have to turn on compatibilty view.

Taken from decline:

At the high end, the Jekyll Ultimate model costs $7,999 and weighs a mere 25.4lbs It is built up with a SRAM XX 2x10 transmission, Hollowgram SL BB30 crank, Avid X0 brakes, a Fox Shox 32 Talas FIT RLC fork, crankbrothers cobalt wheels, and a RockShox Reverb seatpost

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I hope these bikes spread and this fox shock gets translated to other bikes. between the jekyll and the claymore you could have two bikes in your stable and cover the entire spectrum from xc to downhill. having ridden the jekyll that is in our shop... mmmmmm.... this bike is the money shot. :drool::drool::drool::drool:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive been trying to get a Jekyll from our CDale rep for a while now. im anxious to try their new shock they made with Fox. unfortunately, we've had absolutely nobody come in and ask about the Jekyll and or Claymore.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
This thread has me reconsidering the Claymore. I originally dismissed it because 1) its not made in the US, and 2) I thought 180mm was too much for me. But when I think about it 110mm of rear travel might be enough for much of my riding (with the talus at 140mm) and 180mm would be really nice when the going gets nasty. Plus, with the two shock positions I can play with the geo even more. Hmmmm.... I wonder if they are planning on making a carbon one....