Quantcast

Cannondale Rise and Moto bikes. . .

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
I own 3 Cannondales: an F200: Hard tail, 110mm lefty fork from 2002. A Gemini: 2004, Sherman front fork, DHX Air. R800 Road bike from 2006. I really like those bikes and rode them a ton. So, I'm not generally a Cannondale basher, but I have to say, I'm pretty un-impressed with the Moto. The top end has a claimed weight of 30.5 pounds and costs about $6,000. for 160mm of travel. That's awfully expensive for what you're getting. Two years ago I built up a Santa Cruz Nomad for less than $5,000 that weighed 31.1 pounds. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166271 That's an aluminum frame, and way cheaper, and two years ago. Later I dropped it down to a 9-speed with a chain guide, wore the tires down a bit, and it weighed in at 30.5 pounds. The specs that Cannondale achieved with the Moto have been achievable for years now, and for less cost. This is not a bike I would recommend to someone.

Cannondale does make good stuff. I've been abusing my lefty fork for the past 7 years and that bike still feels as good as it did the day I bought it. The road bike is all the bike I'd ever need, and it was only $1400 bucks. Same deal with the Gemini, it was a great bike for the price. I could thrash it hard and it was still (sort of) light enough to ride cross country. And, the 3D forging stuff that Doug Dalton was talking about in this video: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sea-otter-cannondale-2009.html seems pretty cool. I don't know enough about materials, but the proof of a design is always in the testing, not the theory.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
THose bikes don't look bad. You wanna see fugly? Check out the Norco's.

There's a LBS that has a Moto 2 in a large that i'm going to check out sometime. The owner said i could buy it at the end of the season if i was interested. I'm about due for something newer. Might have to take it for a test spin or two. I'm a heavier guy. So the talk about it being flexy has got me a little worried.

edergs

Chimp
May 30, 2009
The rear travel is not a table of classification. The same travel is very different in different bikes. The 160 mm of Moto is completely linear and fells like 8". It is nice bike to me because I don't jump over 3 feet, but I like high speed, then my all mountain is very pleasure with Moto.

In true, I believe the moto is a gravity bike, then I upgraded my Moto5 to a Totem air. The geo became more funny.

I paid U$ 3k in Brazil by the Moto 5.
Here a Kona Stinky is about U$ 4k. A Nomad would costs about U$ 7k.

The high price of Carbon Moto happens just by the news of a gravity carbon bike.

I own 3 Cannondales: an F200: Hard tail, 110mm lefty fork from 2002. A Gemini: 2004, Sherman front fork, DHX Air. R800 Road bike from 2006. I really like those bikes and rode them a ton. So, I'm not generally a Cannondale basher, but I have to say, I'm pretty un-impressed with the Moto. The top end has a claimed weight of 30.5 pounds and costs about $6,000. for 160mm of travel. That's awfully expensive for what you're getting. Two years ago I built up a Santa Cruz Nomad for less than $5,000 that weighed 31.1 pounds. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166271 That's an aluminum frame, and way cheaper, and two years ago. Later I dropped it down to a 9-speed with a chain guide, wore the tires down a bit, and it weighed in at 30.5 pounds. The specs that Cannondale achieved with the Moto have been achievable for years now, and for less cost. This is not a bike I would recommend to someone.

Cannondale does make good stuff. I've been abusing my lefty fork for the past 7 years and that bike still feels as good as it did the day I bought it. The road bike is all the bike I'd ever need, and it was only $1400 bucks. Same deal with the Gemini, it was a great bike for the price. I could thrash it hard and it was still (sort of) light enough to ride cross country. And, the 3D forging stuff that Doug Dalton was talking about in this video: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sea-otter-cannondale-2009.html seems pretty cool. I don't know enough about materials, but the proof of a design is always in the testing, not the theory.

Anyway, that's my two cents.