Quantcast

Cannondale sold to Dorel

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Daaaayuuum, GT, Mongoose, Cannondale, Schwinn, all under the same roof.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come with the bike industry. Consolidation is almost never good for innovation...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Daaaayuuum, GT, Mongoose, Cannondale, Schwinn, all under the same roof.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come with the bike industry. Consolidation is almost never good for innovation...
LOL'z. GT is changing the standard industry. Have you ridden their bikes? (I own 2 of them, and have ridden many more) Every bit as good, if not better than companies like spec, yet THOUSANDS LESS for better part specs!! (compare the SX trail to the sanction) Hmmmm, that sounds like a good thing to me...... Wait, every bearing in their full suspensions are easy to buy and not 50 bucks a piece? Everything is easy to work on? No specialty tools or standards? GREAT customer service? Amazing dealer service? Ya, thats bad for everyone....

No wait, we need 60 companies building the exact same bikes on a TINY scale. That way the bikes stay nice and expensive.

Mc.Dub

Monkey
Feb 28, 2007
Montreal
Consolidation is almost never good for innovation...
Very true. Niche players will always live on though. But always at a cost. To be really honest Doral's brands aren't really high on my list of attractive bikes that I'd like to own.

Hopefully Cannondale doesn't head that way too.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Me and a buddy were discussing the cost of MTB on the way back from the Icycle. He's a former motocrosser at the end of his first full year of MTB DH. He said everybody always asks him things he thinks are just stupid..like...
"How do you like those Crank Brothers 5050XX pedals?"
"How do you like those FSA outboard cranks?
"How do you like the width of that Funn handlebar?"
"How do you like that Funn integrated stem?"

He's like..."What do I care?"

I had to explain to him the obsession with minute grams and nanotubes that MTB'ers are obsessed with like no other sport.

I think he finally gets it. He said something like "What a bunch of geeks..." :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't think of it that way. Cannondale has had 2 different owners since the original founders left over C/Dale motobikes.

To the Cannondale network, this is just another owner, not some type of revamp or restructure.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maybe someone will finally tell the to ease on those friggin long CS on jugde.

Well pacific did some good for the Goose. Don't know about GT new bikes but the ECD is something.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Say what you want about Dorel/Pacific Cycles, but they have done some really great things with GT and Mongoose as of late. It took them a while to figure the IBD thing out, and the Wal-Mart sales of schwinn and 'goose aside, they are putting stuff out there that few other bike companies can compete with at present. The ECD is exactly what this industry needs more of, solid frame and killer parts for a value minded budget. They've still got a ways to go, but I remember not so very long ago when Iron Horse was in this very same position......a transition period per say.

As for the sale of Cannondale, now they have an owner that is genuinely interested in the bike industry. Pegasus was merely an investment company and probably only wanted to buy low and sell for a profit as quickly as possible. With new owners already in the industry, who have the connections to source materials and components, this can only help Cannondale so long as it stays an IBD line....IMHO, of course.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
LOL'z. GT is changing the standard industry. Have you ridden their bikes? (I own 2 of them, and have ridden many more) Every bit as good, if not better than companies like spec, yet THOUSANDS LESS for better part specs!! (compare the SX trail to the sanction) Hmmmm, that sounds like a good thing to me...... Wait, every bearing in their full suspensions are easy to buy and not 50 bucks a piece? Everything is easy to work on? No specialty tools or standards? GREAT customer service? Amazing dealer service? Ya, thats bad for everyone....

No wait, we need 60 companies building the exact same bikes on a TINY scale. That way the bikes stay nice and expensive.
You obviously have not owned the new Dhi, its a good thing the tools are standard as you need to take the thing apart every 3rd ride.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
You obviously have not owned the new Dhi, its a good thing the tools are standard as you need to take the thing apart every 3rd ride.
i've got an IT-1. That thing is in mint shape.....mechanically. I've beaten the **** out of it (yes I actually ride, and crash....a lot). I think so far everything works pretty well (even the internal drive, and pivot bearings are still original), the only think I've replaced are tires, 1 brake line, shifter/cable, and brake pads. It looks like its been through a war too.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
When everything is the same,and we are controlled by corperations,as most of our thoughts already are,look back if you can at your STUPIDITY.
Vote with your money now,buying less for more is good for you,having less of good quality and having choice is better than having lots of **** that won't work or last. Dumb tight arses are what fuels the epedemic of Chineese made crap products flooding the stores and pushing the passionate away from creating. Sorry if my bitter anger and disgust tainted my statement. Consume and die,how joyus.
On topic,Cannnondale have allready cashed in on their name and moved to China for production. Who wants China to have their money?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
the article said "Cannondale will be the crown jewel of the new dorel division and will seek additional growth opportunities."

i dont see cannondale going anywhere but up with the new ownership. from what has been said they dont intenend to make any significant changes to the mannerism of cannondale and are appreciating the professionals that they have on their team, it seems that they will be seeking more input from them which only means that the bikes will be better and have better geometry. This further pushes my theory to think that Cannondale will be the next company to run the dw link in 2009

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I see nothing wrong with high quality bikes at a cheap price. If you can get more people into the sport competitively how can that be a bad thing? People will always support boutique companies because there will always be those who want something different or seemingly elite. I could have bought a hardtail from just about anyone, but I bought a Dobermann. The same happens with any other bike out there.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
When everything is the same,and we are controlled by corperations,as most of our thoughts already are,look back if you can at your STUPIDITY.
Vote with your money now,buying less for more is good for you,having less of good quality and having choice is better than having lots of **** that won't work or last. Dumb tight arses are what fuels the epedemic of Chineese made crap products flooding the stores and pushing the passionate away from creating. Sorry if my bitter anger and disgust tainted my statement. Consume and die,how joyus.
On topic,Cannnondale have allready cashed in on their name and moved to China for production. Who wants China to have their money?

YOu are dead right. I had to look at your locations. Seems like you and everyone else in educated countries know your above truths. Unfortunately we are too dumb here to understand it thanks to Reagan in the 80's and Bush now.

Not only will China have our money, our lifestyle as americans will decrease, which will ultimately effect the cycling industry and the fact americans will be working to hard to even have time to ride.

Positive rep bro!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SuperSix - Made in America
SystemSix - Made in America
Six13 - Made in America
Judge - Made in America
Perp - Made in America
Chase - Made in America
Taurine - Made in America
Rush - Made in America
Scalpel - Made in America
Caffeine - Made in America
Prophet - Made in America
New Trail and All Mountain Models - Made in America

Hardtails under $800 - Made in Taiwan
Comfort Bikes - Made in Taiwan
Synapse - Made in Taiwan

Cannondale has not bailed out of the US. They have become more competitive on the lower end line by turning Taiwanese, and most of the dealers applaud them.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
As for Cannondale selling to Dorel, we will see the proof in the pudding. No one knows what will come out of this. It could be fantastic, it could blow tubes. We won't know until we see the fruits of this purchase. Dorel has done great things for Mongoose and GT and has learned the difference between big box bikes and IBD lines. I think this will further their ability to do great things in the business. Cannondale is who they are because of their employees and their ethics and their innovation. As far as I know, all the same people work there and now they have a president and company that is focused on Bicycling, not selling the brand. I think that only better things will happen now for Cannondale. I am excited for the future.

Tuarines are made in Taiwan too I believe.

Taiwan is not a part of China.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
Just keep patting each other on the back and joking joyously,as long as you have the delusion of ego you can carry on with your eyes closed ;)
Yes because soon santa cruz, turner, intense, etc will all be owned by large conglomerates, and then the world's economy will collapse. Really, the loss of Cannondale as a boutique bike company will be either slightly good (for everyone) or slightly bad (for those loyal to the company). The move isn't going to ruin the world, or even the bike industry.