Quantcast

Canon 1D Mark II for $1500??

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Acadian said:
this sound too good to be true? should I go for it? the guy is willing to meet so I can check it out!

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/37888806.html

for me that would be like buying a Hummer and never going off road...but getting for almost nothing :think:

plus he says he's got the receipts and registration card!

1500.00 is almost nothing?!? whaaaaaaat! i wish i could say that. but conversly i would buy it if everything is legit.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
That sounds good man. Make sure you bring a bubba with you though. Dud could crack ya head open with a ball peen hammer and steal ya cash.
I wish I understood photography. To me it's just a hassle learning all that crap. Photographers are a dime a dozen nowadays with bike sites ha?
Knuckle

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Knuckleslammer said:
That sounds good man. Make sure you bring a bubba with you though. Dud could crack ya head open with a ball peen hammer and steal ya cash.
that actually crossed my mind...and knowing my luck it would NOT surprise me.

Knuckleslammer said:
I wish I understood photography. To me it's just a hassle learning all that crap. Photographers are a dime a dozen nowadays with bike sites ha?
Knuckle
Digital photography rules...even at the amateur level. :thumb: too bad it’s so damn expensive L

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Only thing Id be concerned with is:
1. his email address....seems pretty randomly created...usually a bad sign?
2. why isnt he selling this on email for twice the price?

When you see it, make sure its actually the same camera as on his receipt. It may be a fake camera body over crappy internals like they sell in the city photo shops. I would make sure every function on it works. It would suck to later find out the thing doesnt save any data when it takes a picture or if the pictures it takes are all screwed up because some element got smashed when he dropped it.

Write down his license plate number and try to get some sort of receipt. See if he'd be willing to set up a private ebay auction so you are at least able to use a CC so you can contest it if later you find you;ve been scammed......

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Acadian said:
this sound too good to be true? should I go for it? the guy is willing to meet so I can check it out!

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/37888806.html

for me that would be like buying a Hummer and never going off road...but getting for almost nothing :think:

plus he says he's got the receipts and registration card!
Personally I think that camera is a bit overkill for a non professional and even for most professionals, I had the older Nikon version of that (or maybe I should say thats cannons version of the Nikin F series ;) a few years ago... sold it because my FM jusat got so much more use (it was lighter, less bulky, etc, etc)

Edit: Hold on... is that thing digital?

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
Acadian said:
ok definitely not legit...

I asked him for his phone # so I can call him...he replies with

aww come on, maybe he's one of those Amish photographers living in SanFran? sheesh...no trust left in the world :p

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
BostonBullit said:
aww come on, maybe he's one of those Amish photographers living in SanFran? sheesh...no trust left in the world :p

Yeah, you got a point! I say you should still meet up with him, get him to meet you at a canon authorized repair center, they can run the Serial number and check it over, if everything is in order then BUY IT!! :) (then sell it to Bostonbulit for a small profit :p)