Quantcast

Canon 1D mkIV

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
While there are only a small handful here that will be excited by this release, here is the mk4's thread.

Gaining 6MP (now 16.1MP), video and a couple more upgrades, it doesn't seem a huge leap to me.

ISO range now goes into the six digits (102,400 ISO).

Expected retail is $4999/3300€/£3100, available December 2009.

Share your thoughts.

Preview.

Why no pop-up flash? Haha. Just kidding

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
more MP isn't necessarily a bad thing, though it does work against you in post at times.

i think i've only shot at sRAW1 one time since getting my 5D2. otherwise, it's been full-res.

i am seriously interested in this body...it would make a killer combo w/ the 5D2.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
gotcha.

still 5K for the 1DIV is a lot of scratch...

but...my company just got bought out and i'll be getting some $$$ my way...off to convince the wife. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Sorry – according to Vincent’s recent blog post, Canon asked him to take the video down so I’m doing the same – our apologies!
“Canon has requested that we take down “Nocturne.” As a professional courtesy I am going to honor their request until they can figure out things internally and our little film can be shown again in public.

God I hate rice!!!!!! :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sounds like they are shipping now...

my bonus is due in March, which seems like good timing in regards to letting the supply catch up w/ demand and letting alpha testers figure out if Canon foobared this camera like the 1D3...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Sure but Canon has traditionally been cheaper than Nikon, and the 1d series has usually sold for about $4000. It's a 25% increase in price!
i think Canon is changing their ways, based on comparing the prices of the 200 f/2 lens, and the purported cost of the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II that will be released soon.

damn.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
They can't possibly be charging more than the new Nikon 70-200, can they?

That's a huge shaft to you guys, since historically Canon's been cheaper.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's not set yet, but some posts i've seen would suggest that.

i'm not gonna sell my mk I copy for marginal increase in sharpness or IS capability.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
it's not set yet, but some posts i've seen would suggest that.

i'm not gonna sell my mk I copy for marginal increase in sharpness or IS capability.
Why exactly are they be releasing a II version of an already good lens that has IS? Have they seriously run out of crappy lenses that need an optics update or to have IS added?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
IS is fairly useless for shooting sports as you need a high shutter speed to stop the action. If you have shaky hands though, it can still be useful, even with a high shutter speed.
thats what i was figuring.
im going to try my buddy's Nikon 70-200 with IS to see how bad my arm shakes. it might not be a great comparison b/w the Nikon and Canon, but at least i can see how bad i shake with a bigger lens.

ive used a 24-70 for a while and didnt get much shake. is the 70-200 much heavier?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I just noticed that's a totally different control system from the 1dmk2...

Better/worse?

I actually like the 1dmk2's system (now), but it does take a long while to get used to.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
IS is fairly useless for shooting sports as you need a high shutter speed to stop the action. If you have shaky hands though, it can still be useful, even with a high shutter speed.
Fraser: Do you use the IS version and just turn IS off when it's not needed?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Fraser: Do you use the IS version and just turn IS off when it's not needed?
My 70-200 is a 2.8 non IS. My 300mm is a 2.8 IS. It's always on on the 300 due to the jitter the weight can cause. I didn't feel it was needed on the 70-200 as i have no problem holding it at 200 mm, and even if i needed the extra stops from IS, it won't help me as i primarily shoot sports.

Also, IS can CHEW through batteries!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Damo, I only use 'IS' when shooting video. The mkII version of IS such as in their new 100mm macro lens is a huge help for video, even over version I of IS.

I have never shot my 300 with IS on, ever. And I got the IS version of the 70-200 because it was the latest generation of the lens from canon...meaning 70-200 IS vs 70-200 NON-IS, the IS will have newer/better glass and that is the only reason I bought the IS version.

As for the original thread, 1d4, I have been shooting with one (not mine, a guy I shoot for) for a couple weeks and canon nailed it this time, bigtime. Hi-ISO is quite nice, there seems to be a little more detail in the vids vs 7d video, but the AF on this camera is unreal, you can spray and pray a guy whipping over a finish line jump and EVERY shot is sharp.