Quantcast

Canon 5D Mark II

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Details aren't what I was talking about.

Main Entry: bland
Pronunciation: \ˈbland\
b: dull , insipid <bland stories with little plot or action>

50D = 6.3fps x 15.1mp = 95.13mp/s
5DmkII = 3.9fps x 21.1mp = 82.29mp/s

The hardware is capable of more...
so what is 'dull' about the specs, exactly?

once i see real-life high ISO performance i'll make up my mind. i don't need a machine gun...i barely ever use 5 fps on my 30D as it is. the other stuff is just gravy (though the micro-adjust for lens calibration is good to have).

it seems pretty clear to me that Canon wants to differentiate camera lines, whereas Nikon doesn't (and the two biggest areas i see are weather-sealing and AF (both precision and # of points).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
so what is 'dull' about the specs, exactly?
What's interesting?

1080p video is interesting but Nikon was first to market with high def video @ 720p so that spec wasn't as high impact as it could have been. Megapixels are nice, but that's about it.

I explicitly said that we would see what real world performance brought, I'm simply commenting that the specs weren't particularly exciting since everything has been done in other cameras. If it performs well, great, the specs just aren't anything to do cartwheels about.

Also, I know why they crippled it. Transcend said that the FPS wasn't high enough and your response was that the 5D was pushing more data. That's not why the FPS is low, though.

I'm not bagging on the camera, no need to defend it. There's just nothing unusual about it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
What's interesting?
native ISO to 6400 is interesting to me. a $2700 camera which rivals the 1Ds mk III is interesting to me.

1080p video is interesting but Nikon was first to market with high def video @ 720p so that spec wasn't as high impact as it could have been. Megapixels are nice, but that's about it.
first to market...how is your D90 working for you?

Also, I know why they crippled it. Transcend said that the FPS wasn't high enough and your response was that the 5D was pushing more data. That's not why the FPS is low, though.
congrats on yr new job w/ Canon's R&D dept. my *guess* (unlike your *knowledge*) is to save something for the next rev of the 1Ds.

I'm not bagging on the camera, no need to defend it. There's just nothing unusual about it.
i don't buy camera bodies every year, so the fact that other existing camera bodies may share some of these same specs is of no consequence to me. there are significant improvements to my current 5D, and of course the proof is in the image quality. i'll wait for real world examples to see what this camera can deliver.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
first to market...how is your D90 working for you?
Huh?

congrats on yr new job w/ Canon's R&D dept. my *guess* (unlike your *knowledge*) is to save something for the next rev of the 1Ds.
Huh?

WTF are you talking about? The D90 was first to market with high def video in an SLR. I don't own a D90. What's your point? On the second statement, what is your response to me? I know that they crippled it to not compete with another camera, since the processor is clearly capable of more.

For the third time, and last time, I'm well aware that image quality is the ultimate test. I didn't realize that labeling the specs as bland was going to set off such a knee-jerk defense of the camera. You know that Canon doesn't care about you personally, right?

:huh:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
For the third time, and last time, I'm well aware that image quality is the ultimate test. I didn't realize that labeling the specs as bland was going to set off such a knee-jerk defense of the camera.
knee-jerk? more like calibrating. maybe the whole 'destined evolution' marketing bs by canon was over the top, but at the end of the day i wanted something which could compete w/ the current Nikon offerings, or again surpass. based on *very* early returns, I'd say there's a pretty good bet that that is the case, for the types of shooting *I* do.

You know that Canon doesn't care about you personally, right?

:huh:
what made you think that? was i foisting some expected feature on the camera body, then whingeing about it when it didn't materialize? :clue:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I see. I guess nobody understands why one company announcing a feature and providing samples of its capabilities undermines the next company to announce the same feature. Amazing.

was i foisting some expected feature on the camera body, then whingeing about it when it didn't materialize? :clue:
No, you were simply rushing to the defense of a camera when I made a passing comment that there wasn't anything revolutionary.

I think that tells it all. :monkey:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
oh, and the D90 was announced on August 27th. a lusty 3 weeks ago. in an inferior resolution.

not that i give a damn; i'm not interested in being the next Derek Jarman.
...wait i was agreeing with you.

I see. I guess nobody understands why one company announcing a feature and providing samples of its capabilities undermines the next company to announce the same feature. Amazing.
it doesnt really undermine them. its not like canon just decided to design the camera after nikon announced it.
theyve been working on it for as long as nikon probably have

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I feel like Inigo. "I do not think it means what you think it means."

Undermine: to weaken by degrees.

A camera maker announces a feature that has gone as-yet unincluded on all digital SLRs.

3 weeks later, another camera maker announces they have it, too.

Which announcement do you think had more impact? And do you really think the second announcement was not weakened (i.e. undermined) by the first?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think you are making a molehill out of 21 days....

do you think the Canon engineers got going on this design 3 weeks ago?

i also vehemently disagree that every single camera body needs to be *revolutionary*. i'm seeing specs from a prosumer camera that are comparable or better than the previous flagship camera, at 40% of the cost. who gives a damn about 4 vs 5 fps? if you can't get the shot because of that difference, you need to learn better technique. or get a machine gun camera and large CF cards.

btw BV... say Panasonic announced a 720 res HDTV on the 1st of this month, and then this sunday Sony announces a 1080 res unit. i guess Sony got trumped pretty bad, huh.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
5D MkII hands on preview from dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

note the water resistance: 10mm water in 3 minutes, iirc.
movie mode: 1920x1200 x 12 minutes with audio! and with (contrast detection) AF.
Auto ISO! woot.

As is the fashion these days the EOS 5D Mark II has Live view, and of course it has both passive AF and contrast-detect AF support. But most importantly it also has face detect AF, which we're confident will be perhaps the most frequently used feature on this camera.
are they serious? is face detection really that great? i seriously am a center point shooter... i'm a sucker for the increased accuracy of the center point since 3/4 my lenses are fast primes, and i shoot the super-wide in manual focus mode anyway.

from page 5:

As you can see from the first image below the body is made up of three pieces of magnesium, the only plastic elements being sides and the base. With the advent of the Mark II Canon are finally talking about the dust / water resistance of the body, the second image below shows these seals, Canon's description: "The battery compartment, memory card door, LCD and the camera buttons are all fitted with sealing materials (indicated in red). In addition the adoption of high precision split-level alignment of the magnesium-alloy external covers, high precision dial construction and external rubber grip covers (indicated in green), has improved the camera's dust and water resistance."
unfortunately no real images yet. my cold feet are getting warmer. i'm thinking november, hopefully in time to celebrate an obama victory (and my 27th birthday)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm now on amazon.com's email waiting list for the kit. :thumb:
if the 50D had a HD movie mode a la the D90 then i think i'd pass up full frame and the price tag of the 5D Mk II for it. but it doesn't.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
come on, canon! release this thing already... i now have the intestinal fortitude and the cash to pony up for one but amazon doesn't have it. once my proposed new zealand trip was vetoed i suddenly had a lot less to save up for.