Quantcast

Canon 5D Mark II

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just a rumor at this point:

http://www.canonrumors.com/index.php?entry=entry080827-094825

Canonrumors.com said:
This comes from a dude that seems to be right a lot lately.

* 21.1 MP 1.0x
* DIGIC IV
* ISO 100-6400 L:50 & H:12800
* 5 FPS
* 3.2" High Resolution Screen (LCD)
* 19 point AF
* HDMI Out
* Liveview
* HD Movie Mode
* Viewfinder: 100% Coverage
* Full weather sealing
* EF Lenses only
would be nice if the rumors were true, especially the weather sealing and HD movie mode.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If I only had those 13 AF points you selected, I would shoot myself. I want the entire viewfinder filled with them...all the way into the friggin' corners. A cluster of 19 in the middle is bloody useless.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
more rumors

- Data has been got from a conversation with Canon technicians.
- Camera will appear in Photokina
- Cmos will be 24x36 with 21 Megapixels.
- New processor Digic IV, better noise processing. The pixel - processor distance is shorter and at low voltage, therefore less heat and less noise.
- Pixels will be associated in groups to get a low noise point, then applied to all near pixels.
- Gap between microlenses over each pixel have been reduced.
- Low pass filter is nearer to the pixels with better moiré solution.
- Dynamic range improved adjusting locally the shadow of pixels.
- Processing at 14 bits

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If I only had those 13 AF points you selected, I would shoot myself. I want the entire viewfinder filled with them...all the way into the friggin' corners. A cluster of 19 in the middle is bloody useless.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the "3D tracking" AF system in the newer Noinks? (D300, D3, D90) Is this a viable feature for sports shooting?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I know nothing about it and have never heard of it?
It's a continuous autofocus algorithm in the Dx00 and D3 that integrates with the metering.

That means it will do things communicate with the color-sensitive meter, providing color tracking for continuous AF. It's also sensitive to the actual meter readings of the item you're focusing on. There is a certain amount of AF that occurs outside of the AF areas, too - the camera will still do some focusing when an item goes outside of the AF zone, and if it disappears out of the viewfinder completely it's smart enough to remember and lock back on immediately upon return.

You should see if you can get your hands on a Nikon just to try it for giggles so you can see what it's like. I don't shoot sports but it sure is cool for birds in flight. It even worked well tracking a brown pelican against a cluttered brown backdrop of trees.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yes, yes it does.

Cmon' dammit. I have money burning a whole in my pocket and need some writeoffs. Looks like a full size 1 body though, certainly bigger than the current 5d.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just pulled it into a photo editor and jacked the gamma to see if there was a better detail to be had, looks like a 5D size body. Not definite, but you can vaguely make the outline of a corner.

Just got me curious because I automatically assumed it was a 5D replacement not a 1D size body.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the "3D tracking" AF system in the newer Noinks? (D300, D3, D90) Is this a viable feature for sports shooting?
Yes, it is. I tried it out yesterday with some hockey.

It's a little jarring watching the autofocus box skip all over the place in the finder, but it does do a good job of locking on and keeping focus. I shot a bunch of sequences and the 3D tracking seemed at least as I good as I was using 21 points. (The autofocus is actually skipping around like that in the other modes as well, once you lock on, but you don't see the square move in the finder the same way.)

The autofocus, by the way, is a monumental upgrade from the consumer cams. Shooting the same stuff at the same location last year with a D50 and the same lens, I think I tossed about 60% of the frames for focus issues. With the D300 I think I tossed about 10% for focus, and that's shooting at 8fps instead of 2.5fps. Some of that was from using 1/250th instead of 1/320th on the D50, but the difference in focus tracking for a sequence is night and day.

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
native 6400 ISO...i hear a new body calling my name....

the same AF system kinda sucks though (assuming it is...i just read that it's 9 point)

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'm really excited about upcoming GPS integration. I plan on walking into the desert with my camera and a six pack of beer and emerging in three years with a wealth of location tagged imagery.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i beat you by a minute, tim. woot. :D

canon also introduced an interesting looking point and shoot, a CMOS-based 10 MP 20x zoom camera that can shoot 1080p video as well as JPGs at 4 fps. DIGIC IV, speedlight compatible, full manual control, 28mm equivalent on the wide end, optical image stabilization, ISO 80-1600.

what i really should probably do is sell off my lenses and get this CMOS point and shoot. i'm not shooting professionally -- one paid gig + a few magazine shots aside...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091703canon_sx1is_sx10is.asp

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
canon also introduced an interesting looking point and shoot, a CMOS-based 10 MP 10x zoom camera that can shoot 1080p video as well as JPGs at 4 fps. DIGIC IV, speedlight compatible, full manual control, 28mm equivalent on the wide end, optical image stabilization, ISO 80-1600.

what i really should probably do is sell off my lenses and get this CMOS point and shoot. i'm not shooting professionally -- one paid gig + a few magazine shots aside...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091703canon_sx1is_sx10is.asp
That does look cool.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Good studio camera...but aside from that, not so much. They missed the mark with AF and weathersealing...though I know it will blow away the D3 and D700 in IQ. I'll get a Mk1 and see where the market goes in the next few years, but if I had $3k on the spot I'd be getting a D700 over this.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That does look cool.
20x zoom even, i was wrong: 28-560mm equivalent. i just might do this: put my current meager lens collection on eBay (sigma 12-24, canon 50/1.4, canon 135/2L) and use those proceeds to pick up this P&S.

i could afford the 5D MkII, especially since my mom offered to pick up part of the tab as a graduating-from-med-school gift, but it just doesn't feel right. i guess i'll wait for the dpreview preview to see if ISO 1600 looks decent. even at f/2.8 or 4 it should be possible to get nice bokeh simply by zooming in over that huge zoom range...

edit: now dpreview is saying that the CMOS/HD video one might not be destined for the US market at all?

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Looks like I will be getting a new mk3 instead. Oh well, canon could have blown away the market on this one if they had done a mini 1d instead of an expensive prosumer cam.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They missed the mark with AF and weathersealing...
It's weather sealed from the looks of it. Only time will tell how good it is.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/03.html#03

though I know it will blow away the D3 and D700 in IQ.
:rofl: You just know, huh?

Specs are a little on the bland side but we'll see how good it really is. It's reported that the 50D's AF system is much improved despite the same 9 points so there may well be a little more going on under the hood than at first appearance.

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Looks like I will be getting a new mk3 instead. Oh well, canon could have blown away the market on this one if they had done a mini 1d instead of an expensive prosumer cam.
the 5D is a special niche though....i don't think Canon ever intended the body to compete w/ 1 series for sports-shooting. portraits, landscapes, concert shooting, weddings...this is what they are aiming at (imo), and now w/ the resolution it's more than what a 1Ds mk II was (21 vs 16.7 mp)...it's approaching MF format w/o the big lenses and more flexibility.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the 5D is a special niche though....i don't think Canon ever intended the body to compete w/ 1 series for sports-shooting. portraits, landscapes, concert shooting, weddings...this is what they are aiming at (imo), and now w/ the resolution it's more than what a 1Ds mk II was (21 vs 16.7 mp)...it's approaching MF format w/o the big lenses and more flexibility.
True but slow FPS (seriously, my 10d has 3.2fps??) and horrendous AF are fairly easy to keep up with. Some of the consumer cams have better specs with regards to these areas. I may end up getting one anyways due to a crazy good deal I can get on it, but it will be relegated to backup and fisheye only, not an equal level of tool as my 1dmk2.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Details aren't what I was talking about.

Main Entry: bland
Pronunciation: \ˈbland\
b: dull , insipid <bland stories with little plot or action>

your 10D isn't writing 21mp-sized files...
50D = 6.3fps x 15.1mp = 95.13mp/s
5DmkII = 3.9fps x 21.1mp = 82.29mp/s

The hardware is capable of more...

Last edited: