Quantcast

Canon 5D Mark II

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i haven't heard whether fraser has received his, and amazon.com still doesn't have 'em in stock so i haven't put my $$$ yet. when i do i'm planning on the kit with the 24-105 f/4L IS. it's not a prime but IS is attractive...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I wish to hell we'd get a couple constant-aperture zooms out of Nikon.

You either have to pony up for f/2.8, or deal with f/5.6 at the long end.

:rant:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I decided to hold off for now due to the mk3 debacle and see what happens. Also, 2.8 forever bitches. :D After seeing this, glad I did. Looks like some sensor issues for Canon this time instead of AF. Unreal.

I just read some of the posts from the POTN'tards. Those guys are absolute morons. "Oh it's ok, Canon will handle it. It is a small issue and does not bother me!" They have drank way too much of the koolaid.

If i had spent my business' money on new hardware that was defective, you can bet your ass I would be raising holy hell down at CPS, the same way the guys with MK3s did (which didn't really help).

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've never needed them.

They are good for girly men who complain that carrying a 70-200 2.8 around for 30 minutes is SOOO tiring...
My "walk-around" is a 300mm f/4 - exactly the same size as your 70-200.

I want f/4 zooms for portability reasons. I wouldn't mind hauling the glass if I needed it, but for a lens that's not a primary shooter for me, I'd rather have something lighter & smaller in my bag - more room for other stuff..

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
So it basically kills the 1DSmk3 unless you're a photojournalist who occasionally needs to shoot landscapes...

(The autofocus on a 5D is actually quicker than the autofocus on a 1dsMk2.)

How long before Nikon kills the D3x with a D800? I'm guessing less than six months...
i would think that most 1Ds owners would be studio/glamour type shooters. it's basically approaching medium format at a much lower price point entry.

in terms of cannibalizing sales, i think nikon was much more aggressive between the D3 and D700...if i had a bunch of nikon lenses, shooting what i do i would certainly go D700 rather than the few extras the D3 affords.

but the nikons have a few holes in their lineup and cost more than canon lenses...plus their lineup of fast primes can't match canon's at the shorter side.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There is a TON of sports photographers using the 1dsmk2. I can't imagine the 1dsmk3 is any slower. Many clients simply require massive files sizes due to not having any clue how things actually work and no explanation from the photographers will change that.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
There is a TON of sports photographers using the 1dsmk2. I can't imagine the 1dsmk3 is any slower. Many clients simply require massive files sizes due to not having any clue how things actually work and no explanation from the photographers will change that.
The 1dsmk2 focuses slower (really noticeable in low light) than a 40d does. I like the 5d1 better in low light than a 1dsmk2 for focus speed. Broad daylight is a wash, everything focuses fast with enough light.

I'd guess that that the 1dsmk3 is faster than the 1dsmk2 as far as focus goes (due to the speed of the chip inside the camera) but I haven't used it head to head to really tell.

Back to studio guys though, I'm not sure what the 1dsmk3 has over the 5d2. A built in vertical grip? You don't need weather sealing in the studio...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Back to studio guys though, I'm not sure what the 1dsmk3 has over the 5d2. A built in vertical grip? You don't need weather sealing in the studio...
against the 5D2, there is no real edge. but before that, they probably needed the resolution. i'm guessing that the next rev of the 1Ds will be ~25mp at least.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i placed my order on amazon.com. it's still backordered but now i'm officially in the queue!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Black dot and banding issues.

Friend runs a camera store in Salt Lake, they got their first dead one back today...won't turn on. At all.

5DMk2 is an official dud.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
those issues will surely be fixed in firmware. with awesome image quality plus the unprecedented video ability i'd rate it far from a dud even if it has some teething problems.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Black dot and banding issues.

5DMk2 is an official dud.
Way to early to make that sort of pronouncement...I want to see exactly how that effects real world use.

Remember the D200 banding issues? "If I take a photo of a lightbulb in a darkroom that is underexposed, I see banding!"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mine has shipped! yikes. that's a big charge on the ol' credit card bill. (it'll be paid off this month, don't worry. it's just that i'm used to monthly statements less than $1000 :D)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Way to early to make that sort of pronouncement...I want to see exactly how that effects real world use.

Remember the D200 banding issues? "If I take a photo of a lightbulb in a darkroom that is underexposed, I see banding!"
Well, in all fairness, the original firmware of the D200 did have some banding issues in real-world shots, and this does seem to have black spot issues in real-world shots (although limited situations).

Doesn't make it a dud but it's a clear issue.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
those issues will surely be fixed in firmware. with awesome image quality plus the unprecedented video ability i'd rate it far from a dud even if it has some teething problems.
Just like Canon fixed Mk3 teething problems?

For now, the 5DMk2 is not worth buying.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
get it yet?
not yet.

i was cheap and ordered it with super saver shipping :D -- didn't know when it would actually ship! plus it's headed to jessica's since her apt complex has an office that accepts packages and my apt has no such amenity.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
unboxed

battery is charging. shots with the camera itself vs. of its packaging with the iPhone will arrive tomorrowish

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
hmmmm...it's demise was greatly exaggerated.
I'm not sure blue actually had the authority to label it dead :p

Reports on the forums in the past several days seem to show the black dots are, indeed, gone (unlike the Mk3 AF issues which were "fixed" with a firmware release).

I'm interested to see some full-size shots with that 135mm f/2, Toshi. I really can't deal with the idiots on DPReview enough to see the full size shots over there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
first shots: http://tinyurl.com/9rg2ga
100% crops of two shots, see filename for shutter speed, aperture, ISO (both were 2000 on the Auto ISO setting and were with the 24-105/4L IS): http://tinyurl.com/752v3x

thoughts so far: auto ISO + image stabilization on the "kit lens" rock. just what i wanted. Lightroom image quality is noticeably sharper and more detailed than DPP but that might have been due to settings. movie quality is good but not as good as the photo quality in terms of noise. i'm uploading an indoors (so also ISO 2000) video i shot of jessica studying to vimeo.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Your chick studying at 2000 iso. Mesmerizing, captivating video right there, Toshi.
:biggrin:
i know, i aim to please. she wasn't going for the "box video" that westy suggested... :D did you look at the 100% crops? for ISO 2000% on a zoom lens with a 22 MP sensor, or whatever the actual count is, not half bad imo.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
looks good! very good.

but i am still very pissed off that Canon didn't put in the AF system that the *40D* has (cross-type sensors @ all points)...that is inexcusable really.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm gonna be a little bitch and maybe get this camera*.

*if i end up working in a studio with another photog who already has a load of Canon glass ;)