Quantcast

Canon 6D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Not to be a fanboi, but unless this camera can see in the dark better than a barn owl, Nikon wins this round with the D600. If I had Canon glass I would go for a used 5dmkii or just save the money for a mkiii over this thing.

11 AF sensors with only 1 cross type? Really?
No camera flash on a "consumer" body? (The D600 can control 2 groups of off camera speedlights)

Too much to list. The fail is strong with this one.

Last edited:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
That was my initial impression. The D600 appears to trump it handily. I dunno, maybe it'll turn out to be a surprise but I can see why so many people are disappointed.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Wow.... Just. Wow. I think I'd rather just save 75% and buy a used 5d (original) off of Ebay. The wireless and GPS is nice, but the gimped AF, smaller viewfinder, 1 card slot, slower FPS, etc just kills it.

Also, I might be missing something but how is this substantially different from the 5d mkii? B&H is selling the mkii for $1800, has similar MP, AF, features, etc. Sure it's incrementally better, but it should be, since it's 4 years newer!!

Yeah, if I were a prosumer-level Canon shooter I'd be *pissed* right about now.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Also, I might be missing something but how is this substantially different from the 5d mkii? B&H is selling the mkii for $1800, has similar MP, AF, features, etc.
Other than the wifi and GPS I can't tell any difference really. Oh wait...it has more plastic and less magnesium...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Other than the wifi and GPS I can't tell any difference really. Oh wait...it has more plastic and less magnesium...
In just the Canon universe it makes total sense: A replacement for the 5d mkii that's cheaper to produce, can sell for more, and won't steal any sales away from the 5d mkiii. It's incrementally better than the 5d mkii, and Canon's hoping that people that are currently buying that will slide over to the 6d. Profit per unit goes up, and Canon's happy. It's an entry-level FF selling for around $2k.

The only problem is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Nikon's D600 cleans this camera's clock, at least on paper. Canon certainly didn't know about that camera when they were designing the spec/MSRP of this.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The only problem is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Nikon's D600 cleans this camera's clock, at least on paper. Canon certainly didn't know about that camera when they were designing the spec/MSRP of this.
Well they've known about it for long enough. the D600 was a very poorly kept secret.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can't believe it only has one cross type sensor. Talk about crippling your AF.

I don't care about WiFi but the built in GPS is something I wish every camera had.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I can't believe it only has one cross type sensor. Talk about crippling your AF.

I don't care about WiFi but the built in GPS is something I wish every camera had.
Maybe it's just because I've never used a camera with GPS, but I don't quite know where I'd find that handy. Please elaborate if you have, I'm curious to know.

I do agree that the integrated GPS and wireless are a good feature. Nothing irks me more than having dongles hanging on the camera ready to be sheared off.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
In the traveling I've done, I'd love to have the photos geo-tagged to be able to identify where they were taken.

I mean, we hit 7 Galapagos islands a couple years ago, and hiked 40-some-odd miles through the Andes last year. I have all of these great photos that could easily be plotted on Google Earth to see exactly where they were taken, even to trace out the hiking route we took in the mountains or the path we took through the islands.

We went to various parts of Costa Rica, and all over Bermuda... I just think it'd be awesome to be able to point to exactly where any given photo was shot, and what we're looking at.

I now have a Bluetooth GPS attachment, which will be great for the next trip, but it comes at the expense of a dongle hanging off the front of the camera (small though it may be), and a Bluetooth GPS module that has a battery unlike any other that I own. If that functionality were in the camera, it'd be sleeker - but more importantly, I'd only have to carry one set of batteries.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Yep. GPS tagging would be really nice to have sometimes. I've got a bunch of photos from Nepal and I'm not sure of the location for many of them. Some people have suggested making notes about where they were taken, but it's just not something that I'm going to do. I remember where most others were taken now, but in another ten or twenty years that's somewhat less likely. Not a huge deal, but it'd be nice.

In the traveling I've done, I'd love to have the photos geo-tagged to be able to identify where they were taken.

I mean, we hit 7 Galapagos islands a couple years ago, and hiked 40-some-odd miles through the Andes last year. I have all of these great photos that could easily be plotted on Google Earth to see exactly where they were taken, even to trace out the hiking route we took in the mountains or the path we took through the islands.

We went to various parts of Costa Rica, and all over Bermuda... I just think it'd be awesome to be able to point to exactly where any given photo was shot, and what we're looking at.

I now have a Bluetooth GPS attachment, which will be great for the next trip, but it comes at the expense of a dongle hanging off the front of the camera (small though it may be), and a Bluetooth GPS module that has a battery unlike any other that I own. If that functionality were in the camera, it'd be sleeker - but more importantly, I'd only have to carry one set of batteries.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I mean, you can note down things - but they're only going to be general notes, there's only so specific you can be.

I mean, Picasa can take all of your photos with geotags, toss up a map of earth, and plot where each one was taken. I just think that stuff is so cool :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Didn't see this before... Yep, that's extremely similar to what I have.

Just... something hanging off the camera, and a BT GPS device that has a unique battery for me to buy/keep track of/charge/discard when I sell it. It's decidedly decent, and I really like having geotagged photos so I'll live with the shortcomings.