Canon 7D

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

* 18 megapixels APS-C CMOS Sensor
* Dual DiG!C 4 imaging processors, 14-bit A/D signal conversion
* 8 FPS (94 Large/Fine JPEGS or 15 RAW)
* 19 points cross type AF sensors. Eight-directional double cross central AF point
* ISO 100-6400, extends to 12800
* 100% coverage, 1.0x optical viewfinder with intelligent display, with electronic horizon line.
* 3.0″ LCD, 920,000 dot resolution, 160 degree viewing angle
* New iFCL meter system using high contrast and color detection (63-zone)
* Newly-designed streamlined body, metallic shutter sound, shutter lifespan approx. 150,000 times
* HD movie, HDMI out, external mic input
* EOS Integrated Dust Removal system
* Live view with Face-priority AF
* Auto Lighting Optimizer
* Auto correction of lens peripheral illumination (vignetting)
* New switch for Live View/Video mode
* New 24mm wide-angle built-in flash supporting EOS E-TTL II
a digital level is always nice...unless it clutters up the viewfinder. and more AF points is always nice, but i still think Nikon has a 100 more AF points
this looks like a nice step up from my 40D that i might consider, but its still a 1.6x crop

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
It's basically the Cropped version of the 5D MKII.....

shoot video... OHH AHHHHHHHH!

Like the Nikon D300s......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It's basically the Cropped version of the 5D MKII.....

shoot video... OHH AHHHHHHHH!

Like the Nikon D300s......
it's got some legs up on the 5D2, truth be told. the AF looks much more sophisticated and the frame rate is twice as high.

but i would imagine the image quality will not be the same.

i wonder how they got a 100% viewfinder and still crammed the pop-up flash in there.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Yea rumor has it that Nikon is coming out with the D700x which features a 24mb Full Frame & Video....

Well i hope with all these new cameras coming out, the Nikon D700 goes down a few hundred so i can buy it.. :-)

I don't care for shooting Videos on a Dslr camera....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
tbh i didn't think i'd use the video feature all that much, and i still don't, but have shot some live footage which came out pretty decent. using an external mic and/or access to a soundboard audio feed would be a big improvement.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Yea rumor has it that Nikon is coming out with the D700x which features a 24mb Full Frame & Video....

Well i hope with all these new cameras coming out, the Nikon D700 goes down a few hundred so i can buy it.. :-)

I don't care for shooting Videos on a Dslr camera....
I might be getting the D700x when it comes out just for the 24mb. I could probably give you a good deal on my D700.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i wonder how they got a 100% viewfinder and still crammed the pop-up flash in there.
D300 has 100% + popup flash.

Will be interesting to see what the IQ is like. The 50D got a distinctly lukewarm reception because of its IQ...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the 5D2 has a 98% viewfinder...another 2% shouldnt have been that hard right?

the 7D would have been a nice product in place of the 50D, but we'll see what the 60D brings to the table.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the 5D2 has a 98% viewfinder...another 2% shouldnt have been that hard right?

the 7D would have been a nice product in place of the 50D, but we'll see what the 60D brings to the table.
the size of the viewfinder is important too...going from looking through my 5D2 to my friend's 40D is like a wide expanse to a tunnel.

but...if this thing is capable of controlling noise @1600 and the AF is all its cracked up to be, i could see myself selling my 5D and getting one.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Whoa. So $1699 is official retail, so figure $1200-1300 or so once it's on the discount sites? Guess there's not going to be a 60D then...
i think the most youll see it discounted for several months is $100 or $200max...if that even.
it would cannibalize 50D sales significantly...plus i dont think Canon recognizes warranties from non-authorized dealers

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Cool. Do me a favor if you would. Run the thing in 1080/24p video mode, hold in in your hand (down by your side with your palm on the back like you were bowling with it), and then get some footage running across a field or through the woods. Don't worry about it shaking, that's what I want.

I want to see how bad of a rolling shutter issue you get with this thing because I want to put it on a zipline.

That would awesome :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Cool. Do me a favor if you would. Run the thing in 1080/24p video mode, hold in in your hand (down by your side with your palm on the back like you were bowling with it), and then get some footage running across a field or through the woods. Don't worry about it shaking, that's what I want.

I want to see how bad of a rolling shutter issue you get with this thing because I want to put it on a zipline.

That would awesome :D
It might be awhile...they're backordered until forever.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So who's got one of these beyotches yet?

If so I've got a request.
Had it for about 10 days, was going to be backup/fun/etc to my 1ds2's. I just sold it.

Its the best built non one series they ever made, the AF was better than any non one series, but the images out of it sucked. Videos were nice and if I was shooting a lot of video I may have kept it. But it just was lacking detail in the images and the iso noise (400 and up) was pretty sh1tty. I shot one wedding with it, a bike clinic and an mtb action ad with it so I did put it through some tests.

If they put the 7d AF and build into a 5d2, it would be the best camera ever made.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
No one makes that camera, but Nikon and Canon could. Of course, why kill off 80% of your high end sales?
Its simple now, whatever the next 5d is, will be what I described. They made proper pro AF in a prosumer body and they made a better build in a prosumer body, all that 7d needed was full frame.

Their high end sales are so small and rumor has it the 1d series is on it's last revision anyways.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree. I was a little confused about the introduction of it at the time - why buy the D3?

As it turns out, though, the chatter on the pro forums is that most would prefer a D3 with the integrated grip over a D700 with an add-on grip (despite the latter providing more flexibility), and in fact, it seems like a lot of people who would otherwise have a D3/D300 combo for main camera/backup or lightweight, have instead gone towards a D3/D700. At least, that's been my impression from the reading I've done.

Of course, we all know the forums aren't a great representative sample but it was definitely interesting to see the number of people who just weren't interested in the small body of the D700.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I agree. I was a little confused about the introduction of it at the time - why buy the D3?

As it turns out, though, the chatter on the pro forums is that most would prefer a D3 with the integrated grip over a D700 with an add-on grip (despite the latter providing more flexibility), and in fact, it seems like a lot of people who would otherwise have a D3/D300 combo for main camera/backup or lightweight, have instead gone towards a D3/D700. At least, that's been my impression from the reading I've done.

Of course, we all know the forums aren't a great representative sample but it was definitely interesting to see the number of people who just weren't interested in the small body of the D700.
I'd be amongst those. D3 come January...at last. I miss the feel of my D2X.