Quantcast

Canon 7D

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
Just starting to grasp how mine works, dang it's good.

Anyone else suffering from the camera constantly under exposing pics? Exposing after the built in meter causes very dark images in auto, P, Tv, Av and Manual with all the lenses I've tried on the camera.

Is there any setting I should look at that might screw things up? Any tone priority mumbo jumbo that's switched on from the factory and might cause this? It seems to be one full step too low all the time. So it's an easy fix either in PP or in camera. But still a bit anoying.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
at the Drive-By Truckers show i ran into a guy I'd not seen in a few months, who shoots a lot sports and concerts for AP and i asked him if he got the new MkIV. he replied that it was too much $ and that he got a 7D, and now that's his primary camera and his 1D3 is backup.

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
:stupid:

Muerto, post a histogram from one of the shots you think is underexposed.
Looked in to it, histograms look fine though a bit biased towards blacks. No lost details etc. so really it's a non issue and might actually be user error - that's why I asked about any setting that might cause it (highlight priority and what not...I don't know, didn't spend that much time reading the manual...)

Not the monitor though as I got the same result on different monitors as well as when printing.

Thanks anyway.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That's why God created exposure compensation...
I don't know how exposure works with regard to video on these cameras, but snow is difficult to shoot... you are often teetering on the edge.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I wonder if something is up with the metering. As long as it's consistent, I guess you can adjust for the conditions.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I think that one was two.

25 sec exposures at like 3 second intervals.
Is that something you can do right from the camera or are you doing it with software? ... or perhaps an interval gadget?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I use an intervalometer. TCN03 is the canon version but there are knock offs for a lot cheaper that do the same thing. I just fire off some stills to check exposure and set everything in manual. You can program in any long exposure time in whole seconds using the intervalometer.

That's all sequential RAW images stitched together in adobe After Effects on a 24fps timeline. After Effects treats an image file as footage so that makes life a lot easier. And you can manipulate with full raw capability so your leeway with color correction is huge compared to video.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah, that sounds pretty nice. Out of curiosity, did you shoot full resolution or size down since the output wouldn't be any bigger than 1080?

I've been thinking about doing some stop-motion... hopefully this summer.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Woo, do you have any other videos to share? I'd love to check them out.