Quantcast

Canon EOS digital rebel

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Anyone have one? How do you like it? Is there any problems with it?
Thanks

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I wanted one so badly this time last year.... I opted for a cheaper digital camera... did the price go down much since last year?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I used to use a 10D for work, which is pretty similar and I liked it alot. I hear they are a bit slow, but everyone Ive talked to with one has been pleased. They are a good deal for the money IMO.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:
I used to use a 10D for work, which is pretty similar and I liked it alot. I hear they are a bit slow, but everyone Ive talked to with one has been pleased. They are a good deal for the money IMO.
True seeing as how you get the camera & lens for 1k$.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well see the thing is I was planing on getting either an Olympus C-8080 or Nikon 8700 both are 8mp cameras. I'm getting it soon and using xmas money to pay for it. LOL but I was thinking it might be better to get a 6.3 MP SLR camera like the digital rebel or nikon d70 (but it's to expensive) that way I can borrow lenses from my mom and my friend lol. From what I can tell a 6.3mp SLR camera takes better photos than an 8mp normal digi cam, unless you blow the picture up really big. Any more feed back would be great

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Great value. Side by side with the Nikon D70, I felt that the Nikon was slightly superior in all respects - a little faster, a little quieter, a little sturdier, a little better viewfinder... but it's also $300 more.

For DSLR on a budget, you can't go wrong with either...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JMAC said:
Well see the thing is I was planing on getting either an Olympus C-8080 or Nikon 8700 both are 8mp cameras. I'm getting it soon and using xmas money to pay for it. LOL but I was thinking it might be better to get a 6.3 MP SLR camera like the digital rebel or nikon d70 (but it's to expensive) that way I can borrow lenses from my mom and my friend lol. From what I can tell a 6.3mp SLR camera takes better photos than an 8mp normal digi cam, unless you blow the picture up really big. Any more feed back would be great
I have a Fuji Finepix 5000 and I like it for the price it's a good camera with some pretty good options.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
binary visions said:
Great value. Side by side with the Nikon D70, I felt that the Nikon was slightly superior in all respects - a little faster, a little quieter, a little sturdier, a little better viewfinder... but it's also $300 more.

For DSLR on a budget, you can't go wrong with either...
Cool, only thing I don;t like so far is it's plastic not mag like most cams for that price.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
JMAC said:
Cool, only thing I don;t like so far is it's plastic not mag like most cams for that price.
um, what other new dSLRs can you buy for the price of a digirebel?

anyway, i don't like the digirebel, but that's because i am used to the metal body/wheel-on-back layout of the D30. the digirebel feels too light and plastic-y in comparison.

if you don't have any lenses yourself and can spring the extra $300 buy the nikon D70. if you can spring the $300, might as well save up $200 more and go for the Canon 20D tho. i have a 20D now and it's working out just fine for me :D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Have you looked at the new Pentax *ist DS? Smaller than both the Canon Rebel and the Nikon D70 and will accept just about any Pentax lens out there. Just a thought...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:

anyway, i don't like the digirebel, but that's because i am used to the metal body/wheel-on-back layout of the D30. the digirebel feels too light and plastic-y in comparison.

if you don't have any lenses yourself and can spring the extra $300 buy the nikon D70. if you can spring the $300, might as well save up $200 more and go for the Canon 20D tho. i have a 20D now and it's working out just fine for me :D
Well... It's all well and good to say for $300 more you can get... and then for $200 more than that you can get... But when all's said and done, he's spent 50% more than he originally intended.

Buying based on "feel" is for snobs, IMO - sure, it's great if a camera feels good and weighty instead of plastic-y, but that should be a fringe benefit, not something that comes up during a purchasing decision.

The Nikon D70 is great, but it's only great if you can afford it. I'd buy the Nikon D70, because it's not going to bankrupt me. If buying a DSLR is going to bankrupt you, you'd be far better off going with the Digital Rebel and using that extra three bills on a nice macro lens or something.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
They are pretty damn similiar (10d/300d). The digi rebel is basically a 10d in a plastic box. You can hack the firmware to have ALMOST all the same features as a 10d, only you still get the crappy plastic body.

It is 899 now with lens kit, the 10d is still about 1200 new (iuf you can find one). The 20d is about 1400 new, has a better AF system, faster buffer and USB 2 among other things,

The d70 is a great camera, slightly better then a 300d, but for significantly more $.

Get whichever you have glass for.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
Well... It's all well and good to say for $300 more you can get... and then for $200 more than that you can get... But when all's said and done, he's spent 50% more than he originally intended.

Buying based on "feel" is for snobs, IMO - sure, it's great if a camera feels good and weighty instead of plastic-y, but that should be a fringe benefit, not something that comes up during a purchasing decision.

The Nikon D70 is great, but it's only great if you can afford it. I'd buy the Nikon D70, because it's not going to bankrupt me. If buying a DSLR is going to bankrupt you, you'd be far better off going with the Digital Rebel and using that extra three bills on a nice macro lens or something.
i see your point about the costs creeping up. however, keep in mind that the rule of thumb is that you'll spend at least as much if not more on lenses than on the body. if you buy a digirebel and shoot solely with the kit lens, you should have bought a point and shoot instead imo.

also, feel of the camera is hugely important. if you don't like how it feels you won't shoot with it. just like bike parts.

splat

Nam I am
My wife and I bought the Digital Rebel Last June as an Anniversery Present to our selves. and we love it ! the camera shop we bought it at gave $250 trade-in on our 35MM SLRs which helped a little bit on the cost. we have since bought a 35-105 Zoom and a 70-300 zoom.

here are some Photo's taken with it. ( the ones that start with IMG )
http://h00a024cc571f.ne.client2.attbi.com/dalton/

These were taken at 24 hrs of adreninlin , last year.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
splat said:
My wife and I bought the Digital Rebel Last June as an Anniversery Present to our selves. and we love it ! the camera shop we bought it at gave $250 trade-in on our 35MM SLRs which helped a little bit on the cost. we have since bought a 35-105 Zoom and a 70-300 zoom.

here are some Photo's taken with it. ( the ones that start with IMG )
http://h00a024cc571f.ne.client2.attbi.com/dalton/

These were taken at 24 hrs of adreninlin , last year.
Holy FAWK... Summer... is seems so distant now.....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Toshi said:

Totally agree, I just went to a camera store to try them out, the digirebel felt very cheap but it wasn;t lol. I tried some pentax one, can't remeber whihc though, really nice, small, fast. Trouble is the guy told be canon lenses won;t work with a pentax. So I basically am stuck with the canon. It'll take just as good pics but is slower, and fugly looking.

Can anyone tell me the capatibilities of various lenses and companys? Thanks

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
pixelninja said:
Have you looked at the new Pentax *ist DS? Smaller than both the Canon Rebel and the Nikon D70 and will accept just about any Pentax lens out there. Just a thought...
Lol reblied before i read your post, yes i love that camera, but trouble is read my above post.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Another thing thats cool, I called a camera shop in downtown montreal. They can sell just the body of the digirebel (no lens) it's shaves off almost 200$ my mom has a macro, and telephoto lens that she never uses. So this could be interresting.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
My only problems with it are the slow flash sync and lack of 2nd curtain...I'm not going to drop that kind of cash on a camera and not have every feature I want...flash is not a big deal because I would be shooting a lot more far away shots if I got a nice 2.8 long lense, but I really want that 2nd curtain...I used a d70 with it and panning shots were amazing compared to my current setup. I really want a DSLR but I just can't justify the cost right now.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
does my camera have a second curtain? is that when you can make the falsh go after the shutter? im shootin with a canon powershot g5

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
JMAC said:
Another thing thats cool, I called a camera shop in downtown montreal. They can sell just the body of the digirebel (no lens) it's shaves off almost 200$ my mom has a macro, and telephoto lens that she never uses. So this could be interresting.
order yourself the 50mm 1.8 It is about $70usd from BHphoto.com or 120 at photoco in beaconsfield (awesome shop, on donnegani). Best lens you will ever see for that price.

Or look on any number of message boards, and you will find a used 10d, probably with warranty, for just about the same price as you are getting that rebel for new.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
biggins said:
does my camera have a second curtain? is that when you can make the falsh go after the shutter? im shootin with a canon powershot g5
second curtain comes just BEFORE the shutter closes, as opposed to just after it opens. It allows you to put light trails behind the subject, instead of infront of it.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Transcend said:
order yourself the 50mm 1.8 It is about $70usd from BHphoto.com or 120 at photoco in beaconsfield (awesome shop, on donnegani). Best lens you will ever see for that price.

Or look on any number of message boards, and you will find a used 10d, probably with warranty, for just about the same price as you are getting that rebel for new.
Good idea, I always use photoco they really are good. I was thinking of getting it at simons cause it was cheaper there.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Transcend said:
second curtain comes just BEFORE the shutter closes, as opposed to just after it opens. It allows you to put light trails behind the subject, instead of infront of it.

then yup mine has that

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Hey transcend I was looking at my moms lenses. They're all manual focus, which is good for a macro lens but no very good with the telephoto(they're old lol). Basically I;m really pushing it budget wise egtting this stuff. So should I still get a digirebel even if I may not be able to get new lenses for it, cause of the cost while I own it. Or should I rather get a top of the line compact camera?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ask yourself if you really need a top of the line camera.

About 8 or 9 months ago, I went shopping for digital camera. The Sony DSC-F828 had just come out and I was drooling over it, but the cheapest price online was $900. I also considered the Digital Rebel.

When it came right down to it, though, I was still very much in the learning phases of photography. I wanted a snapshot camera that I could record family events & things I did with my friends, that was flexible enough that it'd allow me to grow. I went with the DSC-F717 for only $550, that came with a 38-190mm equivalent, with a very large aperture. It's got a great macro mode and a lot of flexibility.

I've since taken about four or five thousand pictures with it, and it's suited me just fine - it cost me half of what a digital SLR would have cost me, with a much more flexible lens than the one that came on the Rebel, and when it came right down to it, the 828 was only incrementally better (for me) for $350 more.

I'll buy a DSLR in the spring, probably the Nikon D70 unless there's something better on the market at that time, and the F717 will still go with me a lot of places, when I want something more compact.

Something to think about. Be honest with yourself about your abilities and needs.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
nice pics/dogs, freak :thumb:
JMAC said:
Hey transcend I was looking at my moms lenses. They're all manual focus, which is good for a macro lens but no very good with the telephoto(they're old lol). Basically I;m really pushing it budget wise egtting this stuff. So should I still get a digirebel even if I may not be able to get new lenses for it, cause of the cost while I own it. Or should I rather get a top of the line compact camera?
if they're manual focus they probably aren't even EF mount. you'd need an adapter and you'd have to shoot in manual mode, that is, metering manually yourself. you don't want to do this, as it would be a huge pain.

listen to BV: if you don't need a SLR and furthermore can't afford proper lenses then get a point and shoot, staying a generation or two behind the bleeding edge. take a look at the canon s1 IS btw. you don't need more than 3 mp with quality glass if you're not going to print larger than 8x10 imo.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well I've kinda narrowed it down to, if I get a compact it'll be the olympus c-8080. If i get dslr it'll be almost for sure the digital rebel. Also I'm pretty sure the lenses won;t work at all with it lol, if they do it won;t be perfect. I figure with canon as I want to upgrade in the futur, they have much better high end stuff than pentax.
I can imagine getting the digirebel and using the lens that comes with it, than in spring sometime getting a new telephoto and macro lens. I just have to play with it a lil more at the store.LOL

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
my digital camera situation....

I've been hunting for a digital camera for the longest time how. Recently, I got a Sony DSC-T1 as a gift. I thought to myself "GREAT...that is just what I was looking for!!" Small and compact…I can bring it everywhere with me!!

Well.. If you're looking for a highly portable digital camera with all the same great features as some bigger, more bulky ones – the Sony DSC-T1 could be your answer. It’s no bigger than a deck of playing cards but still manages to carry an excellent array of features. It has a huge LCD display, which is nice since the T1 lacks a viewfinder.

The T1 takes sharp pictures – although getting good shots in low light conditions can be a challenge. Another great feature about the T1 is it’s continuous move capture, which quality is on par with any good camcorder.

The camera doesn’t have a tripod mount, but if you get the Sony Active Jacket case, it has a tripod mount on the bottom of it. I got one and works great – a must for those of you who want to protect your camera.

I’ve been pleased with my T1, BUT the pictures are not as sharp as some pics I took with an older Canon S45.

I will probably be replacing the T1 with a camera in the likes of the Canon G6 – why? Well, I mainly use my digital for two specific things. 1) I do reviews for www.pinkbike.com – so I need to take pictures of new products, which are not always in well lit areas. The T1 lacks in that department. 2) I have to take some outdoors pictures when riding. The LCD is great in some cases, but when you’re outside in bright sun conditions, you can’t see anything on the LCD. Another good example, lets say you’re trying to take a picture of a bird flying by – you can’t follow it with the LCD if you have the sun in your eyes.

I think a Canon G6 or Canon S70 will be better suited for my needs since it’s powerful, yet somewhat portable. I have the $$ to get a Rebel or another SLR, but I would probably miserable when trying to carry it with me on rides – I know some of you don’t mind hauling it on rides, but I’m the type of guy that even hates riding with a camelback! What I also like about the G6 is that I would be able to use a flash with it.

I played with some SLR’s here at work and no doubt they offer the best quality and control – but you also have to think about what you’ll be using it for. Top of the line doesn't necessarily mean happiness ;) I would LOVE to get both a portable camera AND an SLR...but at this point I can only afford one of the two.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Personally I don;t care much about it being really portable, I'm not one to go biking with a camera, no matter the size. I'm really thinking of getting the digirebel more and more now.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I agree with BV in that a Sony 828, 717, Canon Pro1, Nikon 8800, 8700, 5700 may be a good fit for you. You get good optics that are very flexible and won't break the budget. I've had my 5700 for about 1.5 years and I'm comfortable and confident enough now that I'm saving for a 20D and small selection of glass. Try searching pbase.com for certain models and see what some people are accomplishing with the models I listed above. I think you'll be surprised at the quality of the images from these cameras.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If this thread popped up in another 3-4 months, I'd offer to sell my mint condition F717 to ya' :) - I don't have the $$ for the Nikon at the moment, though.

There's a lot of really great quality point and shoot cameras, and if you'll break the bank with the Digital Rebel, you won't get any decent glass along with it - which means your stuck with the 28-90mm (I think) lens that comes with it. No good zoom, no wideangle.

What are you planning on taking pictures of?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Mike B. said:
I agree with BV in that a Sony 828, 717, Canon Pro1, Nikon 8800, 8700, 5700 may be a good fit for you. You get good optics that are very flexible and won't break the budget. I've had my 5700 for about 1.5 years and I'm comfortable and confident enough now that I'm saving for a 20D and small selection of glass. Try searching pbase.com for certain models and see what some people are accomplishing with the models I listed above. I think you'll be surprised at the quality of the images from these cameras.
one advantage of the listed sonys (717, 828) over the nikons is lens speed. while none of the point and shoots will be stellar low light cameras since you can't buy 1.4 lenses and can't shoot at iso 1600, having f/2.8 always available, even at the long end, would at least allow you to avoid use of flash in moderate light.

717 F2.0 - F2.4
828 F2.0 - F2.8
8800 F2.6 - F4.9
8700 F2.8 - F4.2
5700 F2.8 - F4.2

in canon's range the G series cameras have lenses like the sonys, albeit without as much zoom, while the S series cameras have slower lenses like the nikons, again without as much zoom except for in the S1 IS.