Quantcast

Canon PowerShot A620 v. A700

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got an A610 sitting next to me. Nice little camera, and I only paid $180 for it. Birthday present for my sister.

The A620 has a bigger sensor than the A700, another megapixel, higher max shutter speed, more powerful flash, bigger stock flash card and it's got a flip-out-and-twist LCD. For this you sacrifice 2x worth of zoom (~70mm), ISO 800, and .5" worth of LCD screen.

BH photo has the A700 for more money than the A620.

You tell us if it's worth it to you.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
binary visions said:
You tell us if it's worth it to you.
So why has Canon trotted out the A700 as the greatest A series Powershot ever? It has a lot of fun bells and whistles (color dropout and selection), but I read any real reviews on it yet, as it just hit the market a few weeks ago...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
chicodude said:
So why has Canon trotted out the A700 as the greatest A series Powershot ever? It has a lot of fun bells and whistles (color dropout and selection), but I read any real reviews on it yet, as it just hit the market a few weeks ago...
No idea. I'm just glancing at the specs and telling you what I read.

ISO 800 is a good start, plus the bigger zoom. I believe this IS the biggest A series zoom ever. The companies are starting to realize that the megapixel war is stupid so the 6mp isn't a big deal. Maybe they're just confident in the image quality and image processing features.

I really like the flexibility a flip out and twist LCD provides, or in my case, the swiveling body of the Sony. Allows you to take photos of some interesting perspectives.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
chicodude said:
To throw something else into the ring...

Are these cameras comparable to the G5 of days past?
The G5 had a better sensor and a significantly better (f/2-f/3) lens. These are pocket digicams, the G5 was an advanced amature camera, with a plethora of manual controls available right on the camera body, the nice, high resolution lens and a pretty good sensor.

IIRC, it also has a better flash. My uncle has a G5 and I've spent quite a bit of time with it. I really like it, but the ergnomoics suck[/i]. Seriously, Canon, why are you building a $600 digital camera in the same shape as a $5 disposable?

These cameras aren't really comperable to the G5. The S80 is a little more comperable (I've used an S70 a bit, nice camera). Canon doesn't seem to be replacing the G5 yet. Probably focusing on dropping the price for their SLRs instead of producing really high-end digicams.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This was posted on www.bensbargains.net this morning:

Dell Home has the new Canon PowerShot A700 6.0 MegaPixel Digital Camera with 6x Optical Zoom priced at $349 - 20% off code $V7CQWF82D0518 [Exp 4/11, 5k] - $35 off $300 code QFTPZQCNBRH9TD [Exp 4/20, 1k] = $244 with free shipping.

Nice price :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Hmm...The only slight difference I'm seeing is the reds that the A700 is displaying more accurately. Aside from that, there aren't any real advantages...I don't particularly care about a bigger screen, and like the swiveling screen more. I think the 620 is in the cards. Hooray!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Toninator said:
hey BV, how about the nikon coolpix s5, thoughts?
know of a place to get a good deal?
To be honest, I've never used one of those uber-compact cameras - from any manufacturer.

Dell Home runs them for under $300, and that can be often supplemented by coupon codes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Toninator said:
doh got it.
:thumb:

Worthwhile to look at both Dell Home and Dell Business before buying electronics from them. There's usually a discrepancy in price for some reason and you can never tell which will be cheaper. All you have to do is put your name in "Business Name" to order from Dell Business.